Paralysis by Analysis - has anyone else been afraid to pull the trigger? - Page 3
Like Tree53Likes

Thread: Paralysis by Analysis - has anyone else been afraid to pull the trigger?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: Paralysis by Analysis - has anyone else been afraid to pull the trigger?

You're over thinking this. Instead of finding reasons you don't like a watch, focus on the thing you like about it. Every watch has drawbacks. Oh, and don't think about watches as investments. You will lose money overall. Its just the cost of enjoying a fine watch.

If this hobby annoys you, take a break and do something else. All my watches give me enjoyment. When they don't I quit wearing them for a bit and go to another hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    IGotId likes this.

Thanks to all who took the time to read my lengthy diatribe!

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarkbark View Post
    yes
    lol at the edit...

Quote Originally Posted by CMTFR View Post
    With all due respect, Adnan, you are over-rationalizing (I doubt the word exists, but everybody knows I can’t speak English properly) your purchase to the point you’re making it completely impossible.

Yes, the bezel on the Explorer may scratch (I wear two frequently and they’re scratch free, but never mind) yes, the BLNR has a certain bling to it; yes, the services for JLC and VC can be expensive and take too long; yes, Omega AT opaline dials are not white… etc. etc. etc.

You’ll always find – whatever your choice – pros and cons. Worst: some cons are only obvious after the purchase and some pros never show up, after all.

Please, find a watch. Put the watch on your wrist. Now: do you like it? Go ahead. Buy it. Otherwise, start again or take a short break – not from WUS, that’s forbidden, you know? - sooner or later, you’ll find your watch…and we want pics!
    And don't worry:be happy!

Cheers
    C
    Thanks C! Keep an eye out for pics soon!

Quote Originally Posted by mew88 View Post
    DJII & the BLNR is all you will ever need imo.

The BLNR isn't as bling as it appears to be, the PCL isn't that obvious in day to day wear. Also, if you intend to keep it for good and dislike the PCL, there is always the option of brushing it.
    Thanks, I think that's the direction I'm heading towards (& likely will leave the DJIIs PCLs as is & brush the PCLs on the GMTII)

Quote Originally Posted by sscully View Post
    When I was reading your requirements, I thought to myself Explorer II with a white dial.

You can get a used one of these in a 40mm case for fairly cheap ( compared to the new version ).

Here is mine, before I sized it for the Mrs ( she wears it now, I do not count it in my rotation anymore ).

Attachment 1554919

It is a white dial, I have never looked at it and thought cream or off white.

I have a few dings in the bezel ( 20 to 22 area ) but I wear my tool watches for everything. I do not take them off and protect them when I am going to do something other than typing. This one has also been to Home Depot loading supplies like my 666. They are made to take more than I can toss at them.

I have a 7-3/4" wrist, ~ 68mm wide as a reference.

LBF said it in a joke, but it is true.
    If you get tired of it, you will be able to recoup your investment ( as long as you are not trying to sell it 10 months later ) and there is nothing special about the 40mm Explorer II so they are generally for sale in abundance.
    Thanks, I actually prefer the 'maxi' hands on the 42mm ExpII!

Quote Originally Posted by watch_hor View Post
    No fear, that's why we have the sales forum.

I've probably lost a combined thousands on flipping watches, I write this off as part of the hobby and the cost if doing business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by rfortson View Post
    You're over thinking this. Instead of finding reasons you don't like a watch, focus on the thing you like about it. Every watch has drawbacks. Oh, and don't think about watches as investments. You will lose money overall. Its just the cost of enjoying a fine watch.

If this hobby annoys you, take a break and do something else. All my watches give me enjoyment. When they don't I quit wearing them for a bit and go to another hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
    Thanks guys, I've never thought of watches as investments! It's just that as I get older I'm finding that I hate losing money on reselling items much more than I used to! (& believe me, I've gone through an expensive hobby before, modding Bimmers! You want to talk about low-ballers? Try selling a big brake kit lol!)
    rfortson and CMTFR like this.
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Quote Originally Posted by Strange View Post
    Let's keep this in perspective okay? You're buying a watch, not deciding the fate of millions. Assuming you're sticking to a budget that won't ruin you just buy the god damned watch and quit being so neurotic about it. Jesus christ I didn't stress a fraction as much over buying my house.

You're not the first person to be making this decision and you won't be the last. Even if you wind up being less than orgasmically thrilled with your choice know that the earth will continue spinning on its axis, fools will continue falling in love, and at long last Rolex will continue being the darling of the children of a lesser god.

Have faith. Take the leap. Fall flat on your face. Get back up and do it all over again.

;^)
    Strange seems to be very much a "Poo or get off the pot!" Type person, LMAO.

While the delivery of his post itself may lack a certain soothing bedside manner, there's a good point here.

OP, just pick the combo that you feel offers the least amount of cons. And if you're keeping this watch permanently, you might as well forget about bezel scratches and how long it takes to get your watch back after service; bezels can be replaced and you WILL have to service it at some point. These are factors you can't really control, and they only serve to muddy the waters at this point. By now, you've done a heck of a lot of research. You even said you've tried on all (or most?) of the watches you listed in person, right? And if you still aren't sure, why not buy used? Live with a used version for 6 months to be sure you love it and then sell it for (probably) exactly what you paid for it and then spring for a BNIB one. It's like a free test drive. Is it a lot of work to do it this way? Maybe. But it'll be more fun than the hand-wringing you're doing now and it minimizes financial loss while being sure you get the right watch. Luxury brands hold their values very well when you buy used to begin with. Just sayin...
    IGotId, Strange and drhr like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Let's keep this in perspective okay? You're buying a watch, not deciding the fate of millions.
    I have very similar thoughts. To put it another way: you think too much about something that's supposed to be a fun hobby. If you're having second thoughts on something or really having try to find ways to like a watch, then it's not for you. The other thing is that you really should see watches in person---specifically the expensive ones--before you buy. I'm finding that very few photographs give you an accurate impression of what a watch really looks like in person. But most importantly--life is about the journey, right? There is a certain sense of adventure about rolling the dice on a watch and seeing how it works out. At the very least, it allows you to add another watch to the list of watches that you can talk about from a place of experience.
    Last edited by ShortOnTime3; July 9th, 2014 at 16:29.
    IGotId and Strange like this.
    Have: Alpina Startimer Classic; Casio G-Shock GDF100/Altithermo; Citizen Navihawk A-T; Hamilton Jazzmaster Maestro; Heuer ​Monza; Luminox Colormark & 3000 series; Omega SMPq; Oris Diver Small Second hand date; Rolex ExpII(w) ;Seiko Prospex GMT SUN023P1; Tissot PRC-200; Victorinox Dive Master 500
    Want: Someting dressy; Doxa Sub series

If you feel it doesn't fit your wrist, then by all means give it a pass. But, if you get a chance to try another Reverso, give the Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface (what a mouthful!) a go - it has my vote.
    RangerUp, IGotId, Strange and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by IGotId View Post
    Should I just get both the white DJII & the BLNR?
    No doubt.

RangerUp, IGotId and CMTFR like this.

Quote Originally Posted by phosfiend View Post

If you feel it doesn't fit your wrist, then by all means give it a pass. But, if you get a chance to try another Reverso, give the Grande Reverso Ultra Thin Duoface (what a mouthful!) a go - it has my vote.
    Beautiful watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
    No doubt.

Amazing pic!
    Adnan

Current 'pieces:

Rolex GMT II BLNR

Zenith Defy
    Omega SMP 2254.50
    Seiko SAGN007
    Ulysse Nardin Classico
    Hermes Slim d'Hermes

Gone:
    Audemars Piguet 15300
    Vacheron Constantin Overseas
    Jaeger LeCoultre Tribute to Deep Sea vintage chronograph
    Rolex DateJust41 126300

Rolex Daytona 116500

JeanRichard Terrascope
    IWC 3239 Laureus

Rolex Explorer II 216570
    Speedmaster Co-Axial 9300
    Omega Aqua Terra 2503.33
    Omega Aqua Terra 2502.80
    Omega SM300
    Speedy Pro 3572.50 w/ a Panda dial (three times)
    Speedy Pro 3570.50 (several times)

Oris 65

Phosfiend that JLC Reverso is the tits. Really lovely. And just so you know: I am completely gracious about accepting unsolicited gifts of watches, and should you feel the need to unburden yourself of this piece I will provide the most loving new home for it you could imagine.
    phosfiend and IGotId like this.
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Let's keep this in perspective okay? You're buying a watch, not deciding the fate of millions. Assuming you're sticking to a budget that won't ruin you just buy the god damned watch and quit being so neurotic about it. Jesus christ I didn't stress a fraction as much over buying my house.

You're not the first person to be making this decision and you won't be the last. Even if you wind up being less than orgasmically thrilled with your choice know that the earth will continue spinning on its axis, fools will continue falling in love, and at long last Rolex will continue being the darling of the children of a lesser god.

Have faith. Take the leap. Fall flat on your face. Get back up and do it all over again.

;^)
    Yep, been there/done that, my face is bruised beyond recognition but some would say it's an improvement so what the hell, might as well keep it up, eh? . .
    IGotId likes this.
    ALS * anOrdain * AP * Atelier Wen * BP * Cartier * DD&S * Direnzo * Fears * Invicta * IWC * JLC * Marnaut * Méraud * Pancor * Rolex * Revolution * Stowa * Tiffany * Timor

"The deeper the roots, the higher the reach" - author unknown

Yesterday I was clever, so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise, so I am changing myself. - Rumi

I joined WUS a little over six years ago, though I've only lurked for most of them. I've owned at most one watch during all that time. My answer is obviously "yes."
    IGotId likes this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information