WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Paralysis by Analysis - has anyone else been afraid to pull the trigger?

2K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  IGotId 
#1 ·
So my only 2 'BNIB' purchases haven't gone too well. I bought a Speedy 9300 around July '12 & a JLC Reverso Duoface Bleu around July '13. I really liked most things about the Speedy but the case thickness & the overall 'fit' when worn on the bracelet (it was comfortable enough on a rubber strap). I ended up selling it, mostly due to the height of the case & the 'top-heaviness' when worn on the bracelet. I was able to get the JLC Reverso delivered from the LV boutique last summer, I immediately returned it as the blue dial just wasn't as pictured IMO.

So over the last several months I've been researching my next purchase(s) ad nauseum. I've been a big fan of Omega however their move to thicker watches has me looking at other brands. My problem is that I can't seem to find the 'perfect' watch(es), perhaps I'm too picky?

My goal is to find the 'perfect pair' to go with my current pair of Omegas. Why only a pair? Mostly because I'd like to be able to wear them frequently (to use a car analogy, I don't believe in garage queens). I'd also like for at least one of the pair to be a white dial.

I think my biggest problem has been trying to figure out what combination to go with.

I'm certainly partial to the ever-elusive 'all-around' dress-casual type of watch, i.e. the DJII or Aqua Terra. Ideally, I'd like one to wear at work (I dress business casual); I'd like the other to be a bit more sturdy to be worn as a weekender/travel/vacation watch. I'd also like that both watches have a bracelet option.

I initially was going to go with the now-discontinued JLC Master Calendar (with the power reserve) as the daily work watch. However, I've read about a couple of people having issues w/ their MC's & JLC taking forever to service & return the watch (particularly when covered by the original warranty). I'm now considering the DJII with white dial/smooth bezel/baton markers as the the daily work watch. The thing holding me back from ordering the white DJII is that I'm afraid that the 'white' dial may end up not quite white enough for my liking. I'm concerned that the DJII just won't look as white as it appears to be in showroom conditions. I'm also wondering if the watch would become 'boring' after awhile.

The other problem I'm having is deciding which watch to pair with it. I had considered the Rolex GMTII BLNR to the perfect weekender/travel/vacation watch to pair up w/ the JLC MC (& more recently the DJII). I first saw the BLNR in a local AD sometime last year & instantly liked it. However when I tried it on again a few weeks ago I was a little disappointed as it was a bit more 'bling' & bit smaller than I had remembered it.

What are factors holding me back? I've been disappointed by watch purchases in the past as IRL they haven't looked quite as good as they do in pics...case in point, the JLC and the Omega 2503.33 (the white dial w/ the blue hands/markers). It turned out to be much more cream than pictured on the internet. Another factor is that I don't like losing money on resale (I'm not near as savvy as the many who report losing very little if any on resale). Finally, I think I'm a bit too picky. For example, some of the watches I've considered:

A different JLC Reverso...however I can't seem to find one that has a good fit as my wrist is more round than flat; also most don't have a bracelet as an option
JLC MUT; again not available on a bracelet & may be a bit too dressy for my needs
Rolex Polar Exp II; I;m concerned that the bezel may not be quite hardy enough (I've read many posters on TRF stating that their bezels have been scratch-magnets).
Rolex Exporer; a bit too small & doesn't have a date. Also, the mini-minute hand would drive me crazy.
GO PanomaticLunar; the white dial is way too cream for my liking, I like the gray dial more but am afraid that the watch is too thick.
GO Senator Observer; again, the white dial is way too cream for my liking, I like the gray dial & the thickness is just right. However this time the watch is a bit too big at 44mm.
A blue Aqua Terra; I'm concerned that I'll get bored with it. Also, I think I'd prefer the BLNR to the AT (I realize that they're different type watches).
VC Overseas; I've been tempted to blow the budget for this one (even pre-owned). However my big concerns with this watch are my questioning the durability of the bezel (WRT scratch-resistance), concerns about VC's poor service history, & my wondering how well the design will hold up over time (I question the latter as IMO the bracelet on the previous version now looks awful)
JeanRichard Terrascope; love the cushion design but find it a bit too big
Panerai 512; not available on a bracelet, I suspect I may get bored of it over time.
IWC Ingenieur 3229; love the design/size/weight, however I think it's a bit overpriced for the movement.

I've even considered custom-ordering a Dornbluth. However I was recently disappointed to learn that Dirk no longer will take enamel dial orders & no longer has a bracelet option.

I've been able to try all the above watches several times, most recently during a trip to LV several weeks ago.

If you've been able to stay w/ me during this lengthy post, any advice? (I guess ultimately I'm trying to make sure I don't make too many expensive mistakes & have to flip repeatedly to attain a perfect small 'collection'). Should I just get both the white DJII & the BLNR?

See less See more
#3 ·
I think it doesn't get much better according to your needs/budget in getting a GMT Master II and a DJII.

Maybe, maybe, an Aqua Terra that you can dress up/down with a leather strap/bracelet instead of the DJII....but just maybe.
I feel the same about the Ingy (and I don't like IWC's CEO tone on the "selling dreams" video...lol).

On the all budget in scenario, I would get a Daytona.

#9 ·
I like the AT, however the opaline just isn't white enough. I do like the blue one.

Interesting that you mention the Daytona. I remember seeing one in an AD a few yrs ago & thinking how awesome it was. However it just doesn't do it for me anymore.

You might not like this, but there is only one "Perfect" watch....Rolex.
Yes, many will scream, rant, rave, kick the dog and beat their wives.
The truth is the truth...You are searching, the answer is at your Rolex Dealer.
Look at me...Would I lie?
lol

The GO PML dial ranges from cream to white depending on the lighting.

The one I held in a combination of flourescent and natural lighting appeared white to me.

It didn't seem too thick to me but then, I never wear suits.
it just reminded me too much of my 9300.

Rereading your post a couple of times I think the indecision comes from a couple of factors. First I sense that you know deep down none of those watches is really quite right for you. Close but not spot on because of all the little details that are...off. Second I think your expectation to not lose money on reselling a watch bought at retail are unrealistic.

My suggestion is to take a break from searching. When you go back at it relax and remember it's just a hobby.
I guess one of my questions is is there such a thing as a perfect watch? I mentioned not wanting to lose money as one of the reasons that it feel like I have to get the decision absolutely right the 1st time.

You may be right, I may need a break.

#4 ·
You might not like this, but there is only one "Perfect" watch....Rolex.
Yes, many will scream, rant, rave, kick the dog and beat their wives.
The truth is the truth...You are searching, the answer is at your Rolex Dealer.
Look at me...Would I lie?

#6 ·
GO PanomaticLunar; the white dial is way too cream for my liking, I like the gray dial more but am afraid that the watch is too thick.
The GO PML dial ranges from cream to white depending on the lighting.

The one I held in a combination of flourescent and natural lighting appeared white to me.

It didn't seem too thick to me but then, I never wear suits.

Reactions: IGotId
#7 · (Edited)
Rereading your post a couple of times I think the indecision comes from a couple of factors. First I sense that you know deep down none of those watches is really quite right for you. Close but not spot on because of all the little details that are...off. Second I think your expectation to not lose money on reselling a watch bought at retail are unrealistic.

My suggestion is to take a break from searching. When you go back at it relax and remember it's just a hobby.

#34 ·

Please, find a watch. Put the watch on your wrist. Now: do you like it? Go ahead. Buy it. Otherwise, start again or take a short break - not from WUS, that's forbidden, you know? - sooner or later, you'll find your watch…and we want pics!
And don't worry:be happy! ;-)

Cheers
C
If this hobby annoys you, take a break and do something else.
So I did what you guys recommended, I took a break for a while. I decided to surf the styleforum for a while instead of this place (I periodically checked in here & there); that website has cost me a good chunk of change as well lol!

Anyhow, I was fairly certain I was going to go w/ a white faced DJII or a BLNR. I was on a cruise recently & my wife was able to finally see the BLNR in person. Interestingly she had the exact same impressions of the watch as me, particularly the negatives! That ruled out the BLNR.

I decided to finally make a decision & decided to go with the Rolex that first caught my eye at a Rolex AD way back about 24-30 months ago (or when this madness started!); the white dial Explorer II. So I 'pulled the trigger' while on vacation in FL about a month ago. A month later & no regrets! In fact, this thing hardly ever leaves my wrist! I'll thoroughly enjoy this 'piece for several months before thinking of the next one. That'll most likely be a blue or black dial DJII or a Reverso of some sort (unless Omega decides to surprise me by introducing thinner watches!). Thanks for all your advice, particularly you C!

Attachments

Reactions: Jackson Filth
#22 ·
Thanks to all who took the time to read my lengthy diatribe!

lol at the edit...

With all due respect, Adnan, you are over-rationalizing (I doubt the word exists, but everybody knows I can't speak English properly) your purchase to the point you're making it completely impossible. :-s

Yes, the bezel on the Explorer may scratch (I wear two frequently and they're scratch free, but never mind) yes, the BLNR has a certain bling to it; yes, the services for JLC and VC can be expensive and take too long; yes, Omega AT opaline dials are not white… etc. etc. etc.

You'll always find - whatever your choice - pros and cons. Worst: some cons are only obvious after the purchase and some pros never show up, after all. :-|

Please, find a watch. Put the watch on your wrist. Now: do you like it? Go ahead. Buy it. Otherwise, start again or take a short break - not from WUS, that's forbidden, you know? - sooner or later, you'll find your watch…and we want pics!

Cheers
C
Thanks C! Keep an eye out for pics soon!

DJII & the BLNR is all you will ever need imo.

The BLNR isn't as bling as it appears to be, the PCL isn't that obvious in day to day wear. Also, if you intend to keep it for good and dislike the PCL, there is always the option of brushing it.
Thanks, I think that's the direction I'm heading towards (& likely will leave the DJIIs PCLs as is & brush the PCLs on the GMTII)

When I was reading your requirements, I thought to myself Explorer II with a white dial.

You can get a used one of these in a 40mm case for fairly cheap ( compared to the new version ).

Here is mine, before I sized it for the Mrs ( she wears it now, I do not count it in my rotation anymore ).

View attachment 1554919

It is a white dial, I have never looked at it and thought cream or off white.

I have a few dings in the bezel ( 20 to 22 area ) but I wear my tool watches for everything. I do not take them off and protect them when I am going to do something other than typing. This one has also been to Home Depot loading supplies like my 666. They are made to take more than I can toss at them.

I have a 7-3/4" wrist, ~ 68mm wide as a reference.

LBF said it in a joke, but it is true.
If you get tired of it, you will be able to recoup your investment ( as long as you are not trying to sell it 10 months later ) and there is nothing special about the 40mm Explorer II so they are generally for sale in abundance.
Thanks, I actually prefer the 'maxi' hands on the 42mm ExpII!

No fear, that's why we have the sales forum.

I've probably lost a combined thousands on flipping watches, I write this off as part of the hobby and the cost if doing business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're over thinking this. Instead of finding reasons you don't like a watch, focus on the thing you like about it. Every watch has drawbacks. Oh, and don't think about watches as investments. You will lose money overall. Its just the cost of enjoying a fine watch.

If this hobby annoys you, take a break and do something else. All my watches give me enjoyment. When they don't I quit wearing them for a bit and go to another hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, I've never thought of watches as investments! It's just that as I get older I'm finding that I hate losing money on reselling items much more than I used to! (& believe me, I've gone through an expensive hobby before, modding Bimmers! You want to talk about low-ballers? Try selling a big brake kit lol!)

Reactions: CMTFR and rfortson
#14 ·
With all due respect, Adnan, you are over-rationalizing (I doubt the word exists, but everybody knows I can't speak English properly) your purchase to the point you're making it completely impossible. :-s

Yes, the bezel on the Explorer may scratch (I wear two frequently and they're scratch free, but never mind) yes, the BLNR has a certain bling to it; yes, the services for JLC and VC can be expensive and take too long; yes, Omega AT opaline dials are not white… etc. etc. etc.

You'll always find - whatever your choice - pros and cons. Worst: some cons are only obvious after the purchase and some pros never show up, after all. :-|

Cheers
C

#15 ·
In a properly functioning organization, every person brings a benefit. One of mine is that I am the one that makes sure an analysis shut down does not occur. Get some high level information, mix in some gut, make a decision, 9 times out of 10 you will win......it covers the losses

Reactions: IGotId
#17 ·
When I was reading your requirements, I thought to myself Explorer II with a white dial.

You can get a used one of these in a 40mm case for fairly cheap ( compared to the new version ).

Here is mine, before I sized it for the Mrs ( she wears it now, I do not count it in my rotation anymore ).

Watch Analog watch Wrist Watch accessory Fashion accessory

It is a white dial, I have never looked at it and thought cream or off white.

I have a few dings in the bezel ( 20 to 22 area ) but I wear my tool watches for everything. I do not take them off and protect them when I am going to do something other than typing. This one has also been to Home Depot loading supplies like my 666. They are made to take more than I can toss at them.

I have a 7-3/4" wrist, ~ 68mm wide as a reference.

LBF said it in a joke, but it is true.
If you get tired of it, you will be able to recoup your investment ( as long as you are not trying to sell it 10 months later ) and there is nothing special about the 40mm Explorer II so they are generally for sale in abundance.

#19 ·
Let's keep this in perspective okay? You're buying a watch, not deciding the fate of millions. Assuming you're sticking to a budget that won't ruin you just buy the god damned watch and quit being so neurotic about it. ***** christ I didn't stress a fraction as much over buying my house.

You're not the first person to be making this decision and you won't be the last. Even if you wind up being less than orgasmically thrilled with your choice know that the earth will continue spinning on its axis, fools will continue falling in love, and at long last Rolex will continue being the darling of the children of a lesser god.

Have faith. Take the leap. Fall flat on your face. Get back up and do it all over again.

;^)

#20 ·
Let's keep this in perspective okay? You're buying a watch, not deciding the fate of millions. Assuming you're sticking to a budget that won't ruin you just buy the god damned watch and quit being so neurotic about it. ***** christ I didn't stress a fraction as much over buying my house.

You're not the first person to be making this decision and you won't be the last. Even if you wind up being less than orgasmically thrilled with your choice know that the earth will continue spinning on its axis, fools will continue falling in love, and at long last Rolex will continue being the darling of the children of a lesser god.

Have faith. Take the leap. Fall flat on your face. Get back up and do it all over again.
I thought I would put this in the proper color...Envy Green....:-d

#21 ·
You're over thinking this. Instead of finding reasons you don't like a watch, focus on the thing you like about it. Every watch has drawbacks. Oh, and don't think about watches as investments. You will lose money overall. Its just the cost of enjoying a fine watch.

If this hobby annoys you, take a break and do something else. All my watches give me enjoyment. When they don't I quit wearing them for a bit and go to another hobby.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

#27 ·
#28 ·
Phosfiend that JLC Reverso is the tits. Really lovely. And just so you know: I am completely gracious about accepting unsolicited gifts of watches, and should you feel the need to unburden yourself of this piece I will provide the most loving new home for it you could imagine. ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.