Patek Philippe? Please advise?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Patek Philippe? Please advise?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patek Philippe? Please advise?

Movement # 971123. Case marked 2443, and 511171.
    Thanks for any help in identity. I am kinda shook up.
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 26th, 2013 at 16:24.

Re: Patek Philippe? Please advise?

I have to say I came in expecting to see another badly faked Patek but this one looks legit to me

Cal. 9-90

Ref 2443.
    Last edited by mew88; October 26th, 2013 at 07:44.
    ImitationOfLife likes this.

Thank you very much for the photo of the mvmt! I have looked for hours and came up short. You have a dead ringer to this one. Looks like its real? Smelly and dirty enough to be original. Junk shop find in Wisconsin! How did it get there?!!!!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dwillie View Post
    Thank you very much for the photo of the mvmt! I have looked for hours and came up short. You have a dead ringer to this one. Looks like its real? Smelly and dirty enough to be original. Junk shop find in Wisconsin! How did it get there?!!!!
    It looks convincing, I would probably have it checked out by an expert before consideirng any restoration work though.

It's definitely legitimate. Go save it from the junk store.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Ok something I've been wondering about, the screws in the balance wheel.
    It seems self explanatory that these are put in place to balance the balance wheel, the same way that car tyres are done.
    But why do some manufacturers do it and others don't?
    Even some relatively high end movements don't seem to have it.

I don't understand why that balance wheel on the Patek pictured is just covered in screws, surely thats detrimental as they've used so many?

Nice! Keep us updated!

Quote Originally Posted by faiz View Post
    Ok something I've been wondering about, the screws in the balance wheel.
    It seems self explanatory that these are put in place to balance the balance wheel, the same way that car tyres are done.
    But why do some manufacturers do it and others don't?
    Even some relatively high end movements don't seem to have it.

I don't understand why that balance wheel on the Patek pictured is just covered in screws, surely thats detrimental as they've used so many?
    These screws, in addition to balancing (or poising) the balance wheel, are also used to adjust the moment of inertia of the balance wheel. This is important for movements that have free-sprung balances, as opposed to index regulated balances, changing the moment of inertia is the only watch to change the rate of the movement. Cheaper modern movements tend not to have these as the poising is done by using a laser to remove parts of the balance wheel, and the rate is regulated using the index.
    faiz likes this.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

When you say rate you mean beats per hour?
    Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by faiz View Post
    When you say rate you mean beats per hour?
    Amazing.
    Well, I was referring it the accuracy of the movement, but they're all related of course. Adjusting the moment of inertia changes the frequency (or equivalently the beats per hour) of the oscillation of the balance wheel, and increasing the beat rate results in a watch that runs faster.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information