Patina
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Patina

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Patina

Today I noticed the inevitable scratch on my relatively new watch. It’s not bad, noticeable in bright sunlight.

Then I got thinking.

How long and how many scratches does it take before it’s considered patina?
    “If we could be satisfied with anything, we should have been satisfied long ago.”
    ― Seneca

Re: Patina

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    How long and how many scratches does it take before it’s considered patina?
    Those are two different things. Both scratches and patina give a watch an aged/used look, but scratches don't make patina..

For me, in terms of watches, I only use "patina" to refer to changes in the case metal, the dial and hands (color, corrosion, etc.), but not the crystal. Crystals that are scratched are crystals that are scratched--never welcome, and how intrusive/annoying they are is essentially a factor of how deep and noticeable they are. Some don't mind scratches, some say they add character, but I'll take my patina on any surface other than the crystal--on the crystal, it's just damage--how bad it is depends on how tolerant you are--I'm not all that tolerant when it comes to crystals (and as such, generally avoid watches that have anything other than Sapphire).

In a word, "patina" refers to changes to the colors, metals and surfaces of the watch due to natural causes--exposure to the elements such as light, water, oxygen and so forth--while scratches are man-made--damage received as a result of something the wearer did. Patina is generally acceptable, and expected, while scratches are usually not desired, nor, with some care, expected. Patina may positively affect the value of a watch--in some cases making it even more desirable, while scratches, on the other hand, would in nearly all cases lower the value.
    Last edited by timefleas; September 17th, 2018 at 03:27.
    Tirete likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Don't know the definition of patina, but I have about three watches that are so thoroughly scratched, unless a new scratch or dent is particularly long or deep, all new scratches blend in with old ones, and I stopped paying attention to how scratched they are, because I know they are thoroughly scratched. Those are my best wear-without-care watches. Sometimes I wish new watches come like that, pre-scratched, ready-to-wear-without-care. :)

Whereas some of my new or relatively new watches I track so carefully every tiny new scratch that gets added despite most careful wearing. Doh! At this rate, some of my watches might never reach thoroughly scratched state in my ownership, to be enjoyed or sold by the next person in such state after me.
    imaCoolRobot likes this.

For me when I stop wincing at each scuff scratches become patina.
    catsteeth likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by imaCoolRobot View Post
    Today I noticed the inevitable scratch on my relatively new watch. It’s not bad, noticeable in bright sunlight.
    scrrrrrrrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaaatch!!!!

I think when you can start to appreciate the imperfections you can call it patina.

Sorry but the scratches dont cause patina.
    41Mets likes this.

Patina normally refers to oxidation of bronze or similar metals, however it can mean a surface appearance of something grown beautiful especially with age or use.....so, scratches on a crystal can indicate an impression or appearance of age, although we all know a scratch can occur on day one of ownership of a brand new watch (the humanity!!!!!). So the bigger question is, when is a scratch considered patina? To me, the scratch can be considered patina when viewed in conjunction with age of the watch.

To answer the original question, whether it's 1 or 100 scratches or dings, patina is in the eye of the beholder, but normally goes hand in hand with age of the watch. 10 scratches on a 2018 Rolex Submariner is not the same as 1 on a 1969 Submariner.

Another nope on scratches as patina. Doscolered hands or creamy lume =yes on patina.
    ACoulson likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information