Pawn shops

Thread: Pawn shops

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Confused Pawn shops

So I have this Roots watch which I really don't dig all that much.

I figured I'd just go to a pawn shop to see what I could get for it. Well every place I went to said they don't "deal with Japanese movements" only Swiss. WTH? One place even had a Seiko for sale! I've never heard of such a thing.

Re: Pawn shops

They are in the business to make money. I'm not sure what the market value is for a used Roots watch, but I doubt it is much. I can see it from their perspective and I don't blame them.
    presumed unrefined quality and commonality of japanese and chinese movements means there is little to no demand on the used market for the normal buyer on the street.

Well I have been to a few shops and they seem to only go for notable brands. The one near me takes seiko, citizen, bulova, omega, Rolex and Movado mostly. If its not a brand most people will recognize then its not worth their money. I tried to selll a brand new GC watch I had in the box, retail price was 595.00 with the tags still on and they wouldn't offer over 5 dollars. They said "look around, look who comes in here. They won't know this."
    Current Rotation:
    6 Keepers, 2 Rotators
    and a few guilty pleasures...

Dress Watches Casual Watches Sport Watches Rotators
    High A. Lange & Söhne 1815 Up/Down Audemars Piguet Royal Oak Chrono Rolex GMT Master II 16710 Breguet Classique Chronograph 3237
    Low Cartier Tank Basculante Heuer Carrera 1964 Re-Edition CS3111 Longines Legend Diver no-date Ralph Lauren Slim 867 White Gold

Instagram @mzhammer_wis

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Picture.

Everyone in Canada knows what Roots is though, but I guess most people view Roots watches as cheap (Canada's Timex?). Oh well. Not sure what I'll do with this thing.

Our local pawn shop doesn't even take watches anymore. Their logic is that people don't use watches anymore to tell time. They use cell phones.
    cottontop
    "What's time to a hog?" Junior Samples

off to the sales forum for you laddie.... if the price is right someone will take it off yours hands
    I'll be your devil's advocate...

Banned
    where leaves, boatmen, dinosaurs, and a bevy of other losers pretend to play sports

Quote Originally Posted by VolkswagenFox21 View Post
    Everyone in Canada knows what Roots is though, but I guess most people view Roots watches as cheap (Canada's Timex?). Oh well. Not sure what I'll do with this thing.
    Exactly. They know they can buy this at the Duty Free in Pearson, etc for $59.95 or less.

In my admittedly limited experience, pawnshops around here don't know watches. That said, I'm not surprised they turned you away; there's nothing wrong with the watch you have, but it is not valuable and I imagine pawn shop owners are in it for the money.

Best of luck with the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleans Up View Post
    off to the sales forum for you laddie.... if the price is right someone will take it off yours hands
    Indeed. And if that doesn't work, there's always eBay.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information