Pawnshop
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Pawnshop

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Unhappy Pawnshop

Has anyone taken their brand new watch to a pawnshop and get a quote?? Will a brand new TAG Heuer SLR with registration and brand new guarantee card be able to fetch around 1400?
    Last edited by Mightypapa; August 28th, 2012 at 19:46.

Re: Pawnshop

I'd throw it on the sales forum here and make more. too many negatives dealing with a pawn shop from my view.

Quote Originally Posted by Mightypapa View Post
    Has anyone taken their brand new watch to a pawnshop and get a quote?? Will a brand new TAG Heuer SLR with registration and brand new guarantee card be able to fetch around 1400?
    Dont know anything about Tag but remember a Pawnshop wont give you what its actually worth they will give you an amount that will enable them to sell it as fast as possible hence a lot cheaper.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cs12 View Post
    ... but remember a Pawnshop wont give you what its actually worth they will give you an amount that will enable them to sell it as fast as possible hence a lot cheaper.
    +1
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Thanks for the comments, guys. I posted the watch on sales forum here but I need the money by tomorrow so if somebody does not bid the res price I will have to take it to a pawn shop. The MSRP of the watch I am trying to sell is $5,300 and I bought it from FF LVMH sale for approx. 2.2k. Do you think I could get 1.4k for it? :/

No idea but if you do go to the pawnshop when they say

"How much do you want for it?"

Dont say

"$1400 but its worth more"

Whatever amount you say they will knock you down on price and try to haggle with you.

Start a bit higher in your wants so when its knocked down you get nearer to what you originally wanted.

If you want $1400 I would say you want $2.5k.

A pawnshop will give you a price that will ensure that they will cover the loan or their purchase price as well as make a comfortable profit. Remember the watch is no longer new and the pawnshop has a good idea what the real retail price was. Sell it outright if you have the time.
    Last edited by John MS; August 28th, 2012 at 20:12.

Thanks for the thoughtful advice, guys! I wish I had the time to sell it outright but I sm in a dire situation. I gotta practice haggling with the pawnshop owners so I wont get nervous when I get to the pawnshop xD

Yes, they expect you to start high so add $1k to whatever you want. Best of luck...hope it all works out for you.

Like others have stated its difficult to get the amount you actually want/need at a pawn shop. They know that most people who come in are in bad situations and need the cash immediately. I too agree that you'd do better money wise selling on a forum, and it is possible to sell quite quickly (many sell same day, if priced competitively). There are also jewelry and watch shops that will buy on the spot, and they might be a little better than a pawn broker. If you absolutely must go the pawn route, I suggest finding one that deals with a lot of watches. They're likely to be more fair if they know they can move it quickly.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information