PayPal exchange rates?
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: PayPal exchange rates?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

PayPal exchange rates?

Excuse me if Iím in the wrong forum, I wasnít quite sure where to post this one.

I canít find PayPal exchange rates anywhere. Iím in the UK and quite often Iím on sites that have prices in Euros, USD and Yen.
    I can check the exchange rates on the web to give me an idea (Iíd use xe.com or similar), but I never know exactly how much Iím going to pay until the transaction is done.

Is it possible to find out what the payment would be before the order is placed?

Re: PayPal exchange rates?

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_G View Post
    Excuse me if I’m in the wrong forum, I wasn’t quite sure where to post this one.

I can’t find PayPal exchange rates anywhere. I’m in the UK and quite often I’m on sites that have prices in Euros, USD and Yen.
    I can check the exchange rates on the web to give me an idea (I’d use xe.com or similar), but I never know exactly how much I’m going to pay until the transaction is done.

Is it possible to find out what the payment would be before the order is placed?
    Hi Stan,

PayPal rates are always much worse than bank rates - it's another way that PayPal make money on top of their fees.

However, if you fund your transaction using your credit card, you can opt to use the MasterCard or Visa exchange rate. As a rule of thumb, using your CC's rate will save you approx £15-20 on a £500 transaction.
    chuasam and noregrets like this.
    German: Junghans Meister Chronoscope | Nomos Tangente | Stowa Exima ETA & PUW 560
    Others: Accurist World Time Chronograph | Mondaine solar powered | Omega Seamaster 'Calypso' | Orient Blue Mako | Orient CVZ0001B ana-digi | Reena WeatherMaster VII

Agree with the above post, and some CCs offer no forex transaction fees.

@thehoracle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I always link a credit card with no foreign transaction fee to my Paypal account, so that I can get the most favorable FOREX rates when buying something from abroad.

Patek Philippe Calatrava 5119J; Vacheron Constantin Overseas; Jaeger-LeCoultre Grande Reverso Duo; Rolex Submariner 114060; Omega Seamaster 300; Montblanc Heritage Dual Time; Tudor Black Bay.

Armida A12; Borealis Estoril; Bulova Accutron II Alpha, Moonwatch; Casio GMW-B5000D, GW-5000, GST-W310; Certina DS-2; Coach Fulton; Hamilton Khaki Field; Helson Skindiver; Orient 60th Anniversary; Seagull Tourbillon, 1963 Air Force; Seiko SNA089P, SUN025P1; Steinhart OVM; Swatch Body and Soul, Heracles, Sistem51, Uncle Charly; Victorinox Alliance, Infantry Vintage.

Just a point for everyone to note (and I don't know if this is recent).....this morning I bought a watch from Chritopher Ward using their Canadian website as it works out a bit cheaper than the U.S. Site. When checking out, PayPal was using their conversion even though I selected a credit card. I'm not sure if this would apply to other currencies too, but I had to click on where the conversion rate was showing up, and I was able to select an option to let the billing be in Canadian $ and let my credit card company do the conversion. My point is to check and make sure PayPal is not doing the conversion for you and billing your card in USD.
    windupp and noregrets like this.

Oh I read on some random forum (I think it's Whirlpool) that popped up in my google search (about 2 months ago) saying PayPal has better rates than our Australian bank credit cards, which on top of bad rates charges a fee. Maybe it's simply different in different countries?

PP adds close to 3% on their exchange rate, then charge another 4% the other party to receive it, total tipoff, they have a box to check "Use your CC conversion rate" before you send the payment but is not very visible, as they obviously want to get you through their own crappy rate.
    windupp and noregrets like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan_G View Post
    Excuse me if Iím in the wrong forum, I wasnít quite sure where to post this one.

I canít find PayPal exchange rates anywhere. Iím in the UK and quite often Iím on sites that have prices in Euros, USD and Yen.
    I can check the exchange rates on the web to give me an idea (Iíd use xe.com or similar), but I never know exactly how much Iím going to pay until the transaction is done.

Stan_G, I presume PayPal is similar around the world, so I will show you how it is done in Australia, and you can see if it is the same in the UK.

Open Paypal and you get to this window:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 14.41.27 .jpg
Views: 99
Size:  164.1 KB

On the left, under the welcome note, you will see a section titled "PayPal balance". Click that link and it takes you to this window:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 14.41.42 .jpg
Views: 99
Size:  94.1 KB

On the bottom-left, you will see a link to "Manage currencies". Click that, and it will take you to the next window:

Name:  Screen Shot 2015-12-28 at 14.42.10 .jpg
Views: 100
Size:  148.3 KB

On the right, you will see the form you can complete to determine the value of any Balance conversion and Payment conversion. The one you want to use to see what it will cost to pay is the latter. Fill in the form, selecting the appropriate currencies, and press the continue button to get your answer using the PayPal exchange rate. It will not add in fees, so you will need to work those out yourself, but you can do so by searching on PayPal fees in the PayPal help area. There are different fees and fee arrangements for both sending and receiving payments.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by arcadelt; December 28th, 2015 at 04:55.
    lvt likes this.

I do a lot of transactions on ebay and use paypal regularly. The rates are usually 3 1/2 to 4 cents higher than what XE's rate is at. Hope this helps.

I used PayPal to pay for my steinhart 500 titanium. PayPal charged 20 something bucks while my bank charged closed to 10 bucks. Then 1 week after I received my watch, fedex charged 21 bucks. Fml

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information