Perceived Watch Size Chart
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris Stark
  • 1 Post By Tristis
  • 2 Post By watch_hor
  • 1 Post By Chris Stark

Thread: Perceived Watch Size Chart

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member Chris Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Near this half dollar
    Posts
    7,046

    Perceived Watch Size Chart

    You see soooo many threads where someone mentions that a watch actually wears smaller or larger than it's actual size.

    But I'm wondering if there would be any way to establish a "formula" to determine perceived size. In other words,
    can you add up the width, length, thickness, size of crown, width of lugs, add or subtract dial and/or bezel size, strap/bracelet, etc.
    to determine the perceived size?

    I mean, there is already a Heat Index. So if it's 85 degrees and humid outside it might "feel" like 90 degrees, which some
    people like to know.

    I think it would be cool to see a chart of some of the most popular watches by real and "perceived" size.

    You know I love charts!

    Note: Please don't beat me like a rented mule. If you don't like this thread please move on.
    dan4138 likes this.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex



  2. #2
    Member ed21x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,394

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    :)

    14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

    want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

  3. #3
    blt
    blt is offline
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    360

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    I don't think what you are asking is possible. There are a number of other factors that go into perceiving size that cannot be as easily quantified. Certainly, the actual measurements of a watch will give you some sense of size. How it is perceived, however, will depend on the wrist it sits on, lighting conditions, dial color, crystal (domed, etc.), and a number of other factors. We have general rules of thumb that most know. For example, Nomos and the LLD appear larger because of the long lugs is fairly well known around here, but there is no way to say that a 35mm Nomos appears to be 39mm. At least not that I can think of.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements
     

  5. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    257

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    I think this is possible, however one thing to consider is that there are multiple constraints which the actual values being measure have to fall within (i.e. L2L length < top of wrist length && Watch_thickness*X < wrist thickness && strap/bracelet thickness*Y < Watch_thickness, etc for any other things you wouldn't look the visual appearance of). Once these initial hurdles are cleared, then I think you've constrained the question enough where calculating a # based on all your initial variables where if it falls within an acceptable range then it will likely fit is now feasible.
    Chris Stark likes this.

  6. #5
    Moderator Emeritus Bradjhomes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38,153

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    I'd love this thread to give forth such a chart or guide, but my pessimistic/realistic/only side says it just can't happen.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011



  7. #6
    Member Chris Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Near this half dollar
    Posts
    7,046

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by Bradjhomes View Post
    I'd love this thread to give forth such a chart or guide, but my pessimistic/realistic/only side says it just can't happen.
    I am neither a mathematician nor an engineer but I would think it possible to get reasonably close, but few things in life are perfect.

    For instance, as I've said before, My Mido Ocean Star Commander Datoday is 37mm but is all dial and almost no bezel or lugs. It looks every bit as large if not larger than my 40mm Sub, which has a large bezel and smaller dial.

    I would just think that with all the interest in watches by the many members here at WUS, that some hot shot would take a stab at a formula. And yes, I know that the shape of the wrist, the size of the room, the type of lighting, paint color of the walls, etc., has some influence on it. However, I have no control over them and again, nuttin' is perfect.

    And the list wouldn't have to be long right? Ok, I'll start it off: Rolex, Omega, AP RO, PP Nautilus, all Seiko's... ;)
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex



  8. #7
    Moderator Emeritus Bradjhomes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    38,153

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Stark View Post
    I am neither a mathematician nor an engineer but I would think it possible to get reasonably close, but few things in life are perfect.

    For instance, as I've said before, My Mido Ocean Star Commander Datoday is 37mm but is all dial and almost no bezel or lugs. It looks every bit as large if not larger than my 40mm Sub, which has a large bezel and smaller dial.

    I would just think that with all the interest in watches by the many members here at WUS, that some hot shot would take a stab at a formula. And yes, I know that the shape of the wrist, the size of the room, the type of lighting, paint color of the walls, etc., has some influence on it. However, I have no control over them and again, nuttin' is perfect.

    And the list wouldn't have to be long right? Ok, I'll start it off: Rolex, Omega, AP RO, PP Nautilus, all Seiko's... ;)
    I am a mathematician but my numeracy is only paralleled by my lethargy.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011



  9. #8
    Member watch_hor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Houston
    Posts
    5,034

    Perceived Watch Size Chart

    Ask and you shall receive

    Name:  IMG_0932.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  9.7 KB

    F(x) = perceived size factor
    a = case width
    b = bezel width
    n = angle of lug slope
    L = Lug height
    x = enjoyment from beating rented mules factor (0 - 10)

    Give it a try, results may vary
    Last edited by watch_hor; July 7th, 2016 at 02:35.
    Chris Stark and AzHadEnuf like this.

  10. #9
    Member Chris Stark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    Near this half dollar
    Posts
    7,046

    Re: Perceived Watch Size Chart

    Quote Originally Posted by watch_hor View Post
    Ask and you shall receive

    Name:  IMG_0932.JPG
Views: 118
Size:  9.7 KB

    F(x) = perceived size factor
    a = case width
    b = bezel width
    n = angle of lug slope
    L = Lug height
    x = enjoyment from beating rented mules factor (0 - 10)

    Give it a try, results may vary
    Would it be fair to suggest that x = 10 in this case?
    watch_hor likes this.
    "Nothing happens until something moves." -Albert Einstein
    Damasko | Hamilton | Longines | Mido | Orient | Oris | Rolex | Timex



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

    Similar Threads

    1. Case/movement clamp size chart?
      By hns-panama in forum Watchmaking
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: May 2nd, 2014, 17:24
    2. Replies: 15
      Last Post: February 27th, 2014, 15:51
    3. Watch sizes, real and perceived
      By lexvil in forum Dive watches
      Replies: 21
      Last Post: January 25th, 2011, 00:21
    4. Rolex case size / dimensions comparasment chart
      By NicholasHacko in forum Rolex & Tudor
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: October 15th, 2010, 00:18
    5. Axel deployants, Italian alligators (new size avail chart), more
      By Freda Watch Straps in forum Watches - Dealers and Manufacturers
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: December 7th, 2006, 11:21

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •