• 1 Post By BrentYYC
  • 1 Post By samael_6978
  • 1 Post By Likestheshiny
  • 1 Post By iam7head
  • 2 Post By Au Hasard Balthazar
  • 1 Post By bluloo

Thread: Perception is Reality... Or, how Self-Delusion works

Laughing Perception is Reality... Or, how Self-Delusion works

Change "Organic" to a Swiss or Micro watch brand of your choice...
    ... and you might see yourself in this video.

Start at 2:00 if you are impatient.

Watch What Happens When Pranksters Serve McDonald’s at an Organic Food Convention | TakePart

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere."
    _ Voltaire
    Last edited by Chronopolis; October 25th, 2014 at 18:13.
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

Calgary, Canada via Marin County, California

Re: Perception is Reality... Or, how Self-Delusion works

Quote Originally Posted by Chronopolis View Post
    Change "Organic" to a Swiss or Micro watch brand of your choice...
    ... and you might see yourself in this video.
    ... I'm thinking more along the lines of change "Organic" to "In-house".
    Chronopolis likes this.

I wouldn't be surprised if McDonalds "helped" creating this video...
    Chronopolis likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I wouldn't be surprised if McDonalds "helped" creating this video...
    Doubtful, considering the McDonald's food is essentially used to demonstrate that people can't distinguish between healthy good food and unhealthy terrible food. I don't think McDonald's would be keen to portray the terrible food here.
    Chronopolis likes this.

The interesting this was, those people were supposedly knowledgeable about "good food."
    And yet... they really could not tell S from shinola, could they.
    They just felt "safe" being at an "organic" food gathering, so implicitly "believed" that everything was "good."

The world really is however/whatever you WANT to believe it to be.
    In that sense we really are "condemned to freedom," and to hells/heavens of our own making...
    "Be thine own palace, or the world's thy jail." _ John Donne

The interesting this was, those people were supposedly knowledgeable about "good food."
    They just felt "safe" being at an "organic" food gathering, so implicitly "believed" that everything was "good."

In that sense we really are "condemned to freedom," and to hells/heavens of our own making...
    Hardly surprising, similar result when they remove the label of expensive wine during blind test.
    Chronopolis likes this.

We are seeing an edited version based on the premise they wanted to show. I highly doubt everyone was fooled and they have selected only the people they wanted to create a deliberate bias. We have no idea if a majority or a minority of the people who sampled the McDonald's items were fooled. It is no different than weight loss ads that only highlight the success stories.
    wschofield3 and Chronopolis like this.
    OCEAN, n. A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man — who has no gills.

CERBERUS, n. The watch-dog of Hades, whose duty it was to guard the entrance — against whom or what does not clearly appear; everybody, sooner or later, had to go there, and nobody wanted to carry off the entrance. Cerberus is known to have had three heads, and some of the poets have credited him with as many as a hundred. Professor Graybill, whose clerky erudition and profound knowledge of Greek give his opinion great weight, has averaged all the estimates, and makes the number twenty-seven — a judgment that would be entirely conclusive is Professor Graybill had known (a) something about dogs, and (b) something about arithmetic.

Quote Originally Posted by Au Hasard Balthazar View Post
    We are seeing an edited version based on the premise they wanted to show. I highly doubt everyone was fooled and they have selected only the people they wanted to create a deliberate bias. We have no idea if a majority or a minority of the people who sampled the McDonald's items were fooled. It is no different than weight loss ads that only highlight the success stories.
    While technically correct (the best kind of correct!), that people's perception can be, and is often, primed, in this manner, is established science.
    Chronopolis likes this.
    It is right that the world should illustrate the full nature of the infinite and not merely the particular ideals of man - Spinoza

Quote Originally Posted by bluloo View Post
    While technically correct (the best kind of correct!), that people's perception can be, and is often, primed, in this manner, is established science.
    I agree and I think there are more people who proclaim to be experts on food, wine, cinema, art, etc then actual experts. I think these studies tend to show the perceptions are more likely to be altered by perceptions. Most studies I have seen tend to pull subjects from the general population or paid volunteers (typically undergrads). Are there studies done restricting their outlook to just established wine experts for example? There was one study at The University of Bordeaux that looked at undergraduate Oenology majors and another at Cal Tech though I do not know how the 20 volunteers were selected. I am curious how the results would vary based on restricting the study to experts.
    Last edited by Au Hasard Balthazar; October 25th, 2014 at 21:04.
    OCEAN, n. A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man — who has no gills.

CERBERUS, n. The watch-dog of Hades, whose duty it was to guard the entrance — against whom or what does not clearly appear; everybody, sooner or later, had to go there, and nobody wanted to carry off the entrance. Cerberus is known to have had three heads, and some of the poets have credited him with as many as a hundred. Professor Graybill, whose clerky erudition and profound knowledge of Greek give his opinion great weight, has averaged all the estimates, and makes the number twenty-seven — a judgment that would be entirely conclusive is Professor Graybill had known (a) something about dogs, and (b) something about arithmetic.

Thread Information