Perfect dress watch around $500?

Thread: Perfect dress watch around $500?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Perfect dress watch around $500?

I'm looking for an affordable automatic dress watch around $500 (black leather band, white/silver/black face) and am having a hard time making a decision. Right now I am looking at the Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim, Slim Small Second or Viewmatic, the Seiko Spirit, and the Tissot Le Locle (is it obvious I'm having a hard time making a decision or what?) I'm a tall guy so a larger watch would probably fit me better, but other than that I am just looking for a nice, reasonably priced dress watch that will last.

Any suggestions? I'm open to other types as well. Thanks for your help.

Re: Perfect dress watch around $500?

Well i think all three of those options are excellent choices for the price. I'd check out the Orient Star Classics too.

+1 for Orient Star if you're looking for new, but I would recommend something vintage! I recently sold this one for right around your budget amount.

Seiko Marinemaster SBDX001
    My Father's Hamilton Khaki Automatic

My Grandfather's Movado Sub Sea Automatic

"That's what character is-It's in the tryin'" Eric Taylor.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

How about a Stowa Antea? Maybe the KS?
    Seiko Sportura Chronograph
    Stowa Antea KS

Quote Originally Posted by kmiles502 View Post
    I'm looking for an affordable automatic dress watch around $500 (black leather band, white/silver/black face) and am having a hard time making a decision. Right now I am looking at the Hamilton Jazzmaster Slim, Slim Small Second or Viewmatic, the Seiko Spirit, and the Tissot Le Locle (is it obvious I'm having a hard time making a decision or what?) I'm a tall guy so a larger watch would probably fit me better, but other than that I am just looking for a nice, reasonably priced dress watch that will last.

A boring point: check what the cost of having your watch serviced will be. Mechanicals need 3-5 year services that involve careful dismantling and re-assembly. The price for this varies, but done properly it takes enough time so that $100 is a reasonable price. Avoid the temptation to buy a chronograph, because they're devils to get serviced - they can cost a lot of extra cash. Be careful to check out servicing costs for secondhand big-brand watches especially - a used $1500 watch for $500 sounds like a bargain, but is less of one if it costs $200 to service, and needs one straightaway. Otoh, Seikos - the divers at least - have something of a reputation for being able to go much longer without servicing than other watch brands.
    Last edited by scuttle; April 18th, 2010 at 16:35.

I just got this Seiko SARB 021 - really nice.

My little friends:

Casio G-Shock GW-5000
    Casio G-Shock GD-350
    Casio G-Shock Rangeman GW-9400
    Kienzle Chronograph
    Omega Speedmaster PRO
    Orient Star Classic
    Rolex Submariner
    Seiko 007 Diver
    Seiko Turtle Diver
    Seiko SARB 021

Seiko 7A28 Chrono

And a few other fun watches ...

nowhere, yet...everywhere. I am omnipresent!

^

I second that seiko, perfection for around bout your price.

Or, as the other fellow said earlier, an Orient star classic: dress watch or casual watch, works well as either :D

~not really that silent...bit of a boring, meandering, waffling, blathering blabber-mouth actually~ :D

v76

I think at that price, the 6R15 equipped Seikos (especially the Spirit line) are the nicest dress watches to be had. If you can get a vintage Omega, Longines, Zenith, GP or JLC in good condition at that price, that would be great as well.
    Last edited by v76; April 18th, 2010 at 16:45.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by kmiles502 View Post

Archimede Arcadia - ETA 2824-2, white or black dial, black strap, 42 mm, right around $500, it seems to fit all of your criteria:

http://www.archimede-uhren.de/EN/Arcadia.htm
    Last edited by Johanne; April 18th, 2010 at 18:41.

There's a thread going on about Tissot Le Locle and Mido Baroncelli at the Affordable watches forum. Here's a link if you want to check it out: https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=386854.

I do like the Tissot Le Locle very much, especially the caseback does it for me. I'm glad that you are considering having one, too. And there's nothing wrong with that Mido, nice looking watch as well (I'm not sure if you can get it with a black strap, though).
    Last edited by jrantasa; April 18th, 2010 at 21:02.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information