The Perfect One
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: The Perfect One

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question The Perfect One

Hi everyone,

I've been looking around for a new automatic mechanical watch for a few months now. I'm new to mechanical watches, I currently have a Raymond Weil Parsifal Quartz (obv non mech).

After reading some of the posts on this forum, you guys seem to know what your talking about and I thought I'd ask your advice before going any further. Initially I was looking at Raymond Weil automatic mechanical watches and can't quite find the right one, also from what I understand they are not held in high regard as mechanical watches go. I then started looking at Longines?

As I'm not well in the know about good mechanical watches, I've only really come across the big marketed brands. Hopefully you guys can enlighten me. I'm after a watch to last me a lifetime, well under £2k and with the following features in order of priority:

1. Date
    2. Day
    3. Month
    4. Skeleton/Exposed inners
    5. Good make, practical and respected time keeping over flashy!
    6. Non cluttered look
    7. Fluorescent hands
    8. 24 Hour (dial or additional indicator)
    9. Day/night indicator
    10. Moon phase
    11. Alarm? (not sure if this is even a thing with mechanical watches)

Not really interested in a chronograph or chronometer. So do you guys have any advice or guidance with brands?

Also, I've always wondered... With the rotating bit on the back that charges the watch, does the movement only help when swung in one direction or both? Clockwise/anti-clockwise

These are the main ones I've liked the look of so far.

Based in South east asia, travelling between

Re: The Perfect One

The seiko guys will be in here very soon!
    W.A.S. Watch Acquisition Syndrome Patient.

Alarm will cost you in an automatic. Longines is the way I would go. Look at Rado also.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hamilton makes a nice looking open heart:

Orient Star offers a nice looking open hear with power reserve indicator

You can find Baume & Mercier's open heart just within that price range

Oris offers a fairly wide range of day/dates, both with display window or with pointer date in your range.
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

Based on some of the examples you posted, I thought about this thread when I came across this.....I have no relation to the seller or financial interest in a sale. It is a lot of watch for the $$$$, and it falls within your range.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-...e-1075158.html
    Do something exceptionally mediocre today

First watch that came to mind was the Oris Artelier Complication. It doesn't check all the boxes, but it hits quite a few and comes in under budget.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mediocre likes this.

Generally speaking, the more complicated the watch, the more expensive it is - more so for mechanicals than quartz. (And assuming all else equal, like materials and fit/finish, etc.)

So with the list you have, and the price range you have, your options are going to be somewhat limited. I think the suggestions so far are good - but I'll also add that there's nothing wrong with Raymond Weil. It's not held in the highest regard, but they do make very nice watches - they just may not have as much value for the money as others. (And they tend to be a brand that folks get quartz versions of in malls/department stores as their "good" watch, which hurts their rep here.)

A few more comments :

-- Are you OK with a sapphire case back to be able to see the movement? Or do you really want a skeleton/open heart style of dial?
    -- Alarms are rare in mechanical watches, and you likely won't find one with the other complications you're looking for
    -- You want a moon phase, GMT, alarm, day/date/month, skeleton AND you don't want it to be cluttered? That's asking a LOT - maybe asking the impossible.
    -- The moving part on the back is the rotor. And it winds the watch, since it's really winding a spring up - there's no "charging" going on.
    -- Whether or not the rotor works in both directions depends on the movement - many are bi-directional, but some are not.

Lastly, I feel like maybe you want so many complications because you're not really sure what you want in a mechanical watch or why you want one. I'd suggest reading more, looking at a lot more pics and posts (the WRUW - What Are You Wearing? - threads are just posts of what everyone is wearing that day) and then figure out what you'd really like when you have a better idea of brands, prices, and complications.
    Hayseed Brown likes this.
    ​Grand Seiko SBGE033, Jaquest Droz Grande Seconde, Breitling Navitimer Cosmonaute, Prometheus Piranha, Orient Wingman, Zeppelin Flatline 7366-3, Glashutte Original PanoMaticLunar, Epos Emotion 3390, Steinhart Ocean 2 Premium, Hamilton Khaki Field, Omega 1965 Vintage, Seiko 5 SNKK27, Seiko 1977 Vintage, Nomos Orion 38, Wittnauer 1960's Vintage, Movado SL1 Chrono, Seiko SBQK085, Cyma Le Locle, Casio Oceanus OCW-S100-1AJF

You are looking for an "all in one" watch which is perhaps impossible even if you increase your price range as many of your requests are conflicting and do not look good togheter - it will be quite difficult to find a skeleton watch with date, day and month index (that also looks uncluttered). Better forget about Month and Moonphase as they are useless anyway and we could still be talking about buying at least two separate watches - one with many functions and one simpler but nicely scheletonized.

My recommendation is to try first some Orients as they offer both look and functions at reasonable prices. Once you get some experience and you understand your needs (sport or dressy) you can move upmarket. An Orient Star open heart was shown earlyer so my recommendation is for this rather dressy Orient Sun & Moon:

Or you may prefer the sporty variant Orient Defender 24h:

Just to narrow and clarify, I think by "skeleton" the op was probably referring to a display back and simply had the terminology confused. I may be wrong.

You can get a pre-owned Omega well under GBP$2K

For new, Longines? Oris?

For good new, under GBP500 and not worried about snob appeal, Victorinox.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information