WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

The perfect watch for a police officer.

59K views 104 replies 74 participants last post by  sleepyhead123 
#1 ·
Okay I won't tell you when and why, but eventually I'll become a police officer. What watch do you guys think are suitable to wear on the beat? I suppose eventually I won't have to go out on the beat anymore as I advance further into the career, by which time it shouldn't matter what watch to wear anymore.
I currently own a yellow Casio G-shock, a Seiko Spirit, a Rolex Sub-no-date and a IWC pilot's chrono. I'm thinking maybe a Rolex Explorer 1?

#2 ·
Out of the ones you already own, I'd probably go with the Sub on a NATO or Zulu to make it less obvious. If you're looking for something new, I personally would want something robust. The Explorer would be nice and quite unassuming but I would lean towards a Sinn. Relatively unknown outside enthusiast circles, virtually indestructable, reasonable money. Any of the Pilots, Instruments or the EZMs. If they're good enough for GSG9, they'll probably be good enough for you, if you know what I mean. For the kind of money I think you're considering, a Breitling Superocen in black although some have concerns over the durability of the new rubber bezel. As a long shot, for something very different, the JS Watch Sif NART looks to be a very nice piece too and durable. This would be my choice next to the Sinns.

#4 ·
well if i was going to join the force i would prob wear a g-shock pref black, it can take a beating, not very noticeable, comfortable, the other watches mention are very nice, and i wouldn't want to worry about the face getting scuff if you have to take someone down to the ground. Good luck with your choice and your career

#6 ·
OP! In which country do you live?

#8 ·
I believe in part Bernhardt watches are designed for police officers. A sea shark would be great I think.

Or a Seiko skx007 on a nato would be good.

Good luck!

#9 ·
Police officers are trained to notice the small things. Even if your partners aren't WIS, they will certainly notice the little differences that make you stand out - especially when you are in the "bag" (uniform).

My advice is: you do not want to stand out for what you wear while a rookie. Even if you can personally afford to demolish a $5,000 Rolex while wrestling a drunk, chances are your sgt. can't and that could cause animosity.

Also, citizens may notice an expensive watch and start asking questions. You really don't want to be explaining to management how you can afford a luxury watch.

Wear whatever you want on your days off. For duty, wear something like a G-Shock or Timex Ironman. Key words are: unassuming and tough.

Bottom line, as a rookie you want to be noticed for what you do, not what you wear.

Good luck - it is an admirable profession.

#10 ·
I agree with this 100%

If it was me in your position I'd wear a G-Shock or a GSAR as it'd take the (potential) abuse of being on a police officers wrist. Wear the "good stuff" when you're off duty.

Cheers

Police officers are trained to notice the small things. Even if your partners aren't WIS, they will certainly notice the little differences that make you stand out - especially when you are in the "bag" (uniform).

My advice is: you do not want to stand out for what you wear while a rookie. Even if you can personally afford to demolish a $5,000 Rolex while wrestling a drunk, chances are your sgt. can't and that could cause animosity.

Also, citizens may notice an expensive watch and start asking questions. You really don't want to be explaining to management how you can afford a luxury watch.

Wear whatever you want on your days off. For duty, wear something like a G-Shock or Timex Ironman. Key words are: unassuming and tough.

Bottom line, as a rookie you want to be noticed for what you do, not what you wear.

Good luck - it is an admirable profession.

#11 ·
G-shock, Timex Ironman, or Pathfinder. Suunto is nice too. You want something that you never ever worry about something happening (to it). Stainless is nice and all, but when fighting or jumping fences stainless are more likely to catch on something. A buckle is better than a clasp. Something with a compass is always handy.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.

#13 ·
G-shock, Timex Ironman, or Pathfinder. Suunto is nice too. You want something that you never ever worry about something happening (to it). Stainless is nice and all, but when fighting or jumping fences stainless are more likely to catch on something. A buckle is better than a clasp. Something with a compass is always handy.

Just my humble opinion.

Good luck.
His job will be protect and serve the community, not to jump fences and fight citizens. You have a very skewed perception of what a police officer's job is.

#17 ·
Digital I'd recommend g shock. Mechanical go for Ball- 5000g shock resistance, magnetic resistance, temperature resistance and lets not forget their world famous tritium powered lumes for unparalleled night visibility. They have very nice designs to suit every taste and are very reasonably priced. I highly recommend you check them out.

#20 ·
I once saw a cop wearing an Omega Seamaster on bracelet......it became unbuckled as he had to tackle a suspect.

Other officers helped to tackle too, and as the officer got up he was fumbling with his watch.

I would gather that the last thing a cop wants to worry about is a watch not secure on his wrist, or it dropping to the ground and breaking.

I think this is why most cops wear G-shocks..tough, reliable, tactical looking, not expensive...

#24 · (Edited)
:-d Good stuff! Then I guess only a Poljot will do! Sinn make this with all the badging on it: Sinn Uhren: Modell UX GSG 9
but I think they developed the old EZM1 for the purpose. There are some threads on here with more of the history of the link but I remember reading that Sinns have been issued and are actually used by members.

Incidentally, the other posters have given sound advice on the power of discretion when on duty (hence my earlier comment on the Sub). The decision is entirely yours but if you want a "nicer" watch on duty, I wouldn't have a problem using a Sinn in any situation, be it military, security or civilian due to their robustness and relative value (in my opinion). The brand is still not very well known so you should be ok in fobbing off comments. I have been working towards an 856 as a travel beater and was very impressed with them in the metal. Still, a G-shock will be more than up to the task so I shall leave you with that little dilemma ;-)

#33 ·
Manjushata- I posted the below during the holidays...see if it works for you. LOL. :-!

So I bought my best friend the below watch for Christmas. He was a cop for 5 years and now works for the Department of Justice. On a weekly basis he goes on house raids in full gear..tails suspects all over the state(seriously..if he is in the San Francisco and the person he's tailing decides to drive to L.A...then he does too!) and in general is out there making a dent in crime. I gave him the below note and told him to read it after he opened the gift. He got a good laugh from it and I thought you guys might too.

Dude,
So I think I told you earlier this year that I've gotten into collecting watches…it's definitely a hobby I find really interesting/fascinating…I mean…you're basically wearing a tiny MACHINE on your wrist!!! But I digress..ha ha. Anyway, I wanted to give you a watch for Christmas because it's something that means a lot to me…wanted to try and share it with you. Ok…enough with the bro love…here are some of the features and reasons I am giving you this particular watch.(The Casio G Shock Street Rider)

* Shock Resistant- These watches are tough…I figure with your job this watch will look good and be tough as s**t. If you slam this watch up against a bad guys face the watch is going to WIN and come out looking just as awesome as before…hell..maybe even BETTER.
* 200M Water Resistant- If your job has you driving off a cliff into the ocean while chasing a kidnapper…you'll know EXACTLY what time you made the collar because wet or not…the watch will be fine.
* EL Backlight with Afterglow- C'mon…who doesn't like Afterglow?
* World Time-29 time zones (27 cities) - If you have to tail a bad guy to LA…and then to LAX and then thru 10 countries starting with New Zealand and ending in Rio De Janeiro…this watch has you covered baby.
* 4 Daily Alarms, 1 Snooze Alarm- For those times during a stakeout when you need at least 4 naps…you're good to go with this watch my friend.
* Countdown Timer- For the C4 explosive you just set on that drug houses door….oh yeah…this watch will say "4…3…2..Yipee Kay Yay Mutha f***a!
* Auto Calendar (pre-programmed until the year 2039)-Because who has the time to set the date every month? Not you my busy friend.
* 12/24 Hour Formats- For when you want to sound real military like at work and say things like "The operation will commence at 1700 hours"…you'll know exactly when that will be too.

Seriously though…even with all that stuff what it comes down to is that I think the watch looks good…black with silver hands…good stuff. I hope you like it man…if you don't and you want to regift it or sell it on EBay that's fine with me. Just know that every time I see you I'm gonna look at your wrist and see if you're wearing it. No pressure.

Merry Christmas Bro!

Your friend,
Shawn

#34 ·
I've been a Police Officer for 11 years and I have spent the past 6 years in Detectives. Before that I was a Patrol Officer working the streets. In all honesty I would wear a Casio G-Shock on the streets because you get into alot of fights.

Now that I'm a Detective I wear Breitling, Omega, Marathon, etc... I still keep a beater watch in my desk so that when I get called out to the field on a search warrant or to take somebody into custody I can swap them out. I would not want to destroy a $3k dollar watch because on one dirt bag criminal. My department won't pay out that much money if my high end watches get destroyed while on the job. JMHO

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.