Perpetual Date Question
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By D1JBS

Thread: Perpetual Date Question

Perpetual Date Question

I've just picked up a vintage Perpetual Date Seiko for a friend who wanted it only because it was born in April 1973 - and so was he. I know absolutely nothing about this watch other than it has a 'perpetual date' feature - something I believe it has common with other watches.

So my dumb question is this: what is a perpetual date watch for and how would you use it?

I looked into perpetual calendars on Wikipedia on started bleeding from my ears after two paragraphs...so in terms that stupid person might understand please!

A photo of the Seiko is posted below:

Name:  Seiko Perpetual.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  21.6 KB
    CitizenM likes this.
    "An extravagance is anything you buy that has no earthly use to your wife".

Re: Perpetual Date Question

Quote Originally Posted by D1JBS View Post
    I've just picked up a vintage Perpetual Date Seiko for a friend who wanted it only because it was born in April 1973 - and so was he. I know absolutely nothing about this watch other than it has a 'perpetual date' feature - something I believe it has common with other watches.

So my dumb question is this: what is a perpetual date watch for and how would you use it?

I looked into perpetual calendars on Wikipedia on started bleeding from my ears after two paragraphs...so in terms that stupid person might understand please!

A photo of the Seiko is posted below:

Name:  Seiko Perpetual.jpg
Views: 493
Size:  21.6 KB
    I BELIEVE the perpetual here refers to the automatic winding system, like a Rolex Perpetual. As far as I'm aware, Seiko has never produced a mechanical perpetual calendar.

Re: Perpetual Date Question

Hi. I believe that works somewhat like an old fashioned desk calendar. You use the upper crown to align days and dates for the upcoming month. It is perpetual in that it never goes out of date. Useful if you don't have a smart phone calendar to refer to. I don't believe your watch incorporates the year in a manual calendar like current watches from Orient Watch Company do.

It is completely different from the modern quartz Seiko Perpetual Calendar watches that incorporate a 100 year calendar to automatically set the date display no matter the month or leap year.

That's a nice funky 1970's watch for your friend whi I'm sure will enjoy it.
    Last edited by John MS; December 15th, 2011 at 02:01.

Thread Information