Perrelet for a dress watch?

Thread: Perrelet for a dress watch?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Perrelet for a dress watch?

I am currently looking for a dress watch and am looking at the Perrelt double rotor, but I'm concerned about the depreciation and difficulty to sell if the need arises. Any thoughts? Should I hold off and keep saving for a Jaeger?

Re: Perrelet for a dress watch?

If your gonna worry about 'depreciation', don't buy a watch.

I know, was simply asking as question. After all Rolexes, Patek and some other brands don't depreciate that much.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

v76

New/newish brand watches will definitely depreciate more than offerings from the more established ones, but pretty much every brand (or model from a brand) depreciates with time (with a few exceptions).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thanks, guess I should just keep saving for the Jaeger. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Watch Stig View Post
    Thanks, guess I should just keep saving for the Jaeger. :)
    If you are worried about the need for liquid assets, you shouldn't buy a watch at all is more to the point. Think of watches as more like haute couture. While you might find someone to buy last year's Chanel dress, you'll hardly ever get close to what you paid for it. And your first job will be to find someone that has the same tastes as you. The only way this has a chance to work is if you get buy a watch for less than the cost that it is commonly available for from other sources. Or you can buy a fixer-up watch (a rusted Rolex that doesn't work) and bring the value up (fix it and refinish the case yourself).

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Banned

Buy what you like and be happy. Perrelet makes a nice looking watch. See if you can find one second hand if depreciation worries you.

Perrelet is not a new watchmaker, they were founded in 1777, invented the automatic watch (well, sort of), and I don't think depreciation should be too bad as they're pretty well known to most watch lovers and make all of their own movements. In fact they're one of the oldest (still going) watchmakers in the world, along with Jaquet Droz, Breguet, Dubois, Favre Leuba etc. I personally love their watches and wouldn't hesitate to buy (if I could afford it) or recommend one. But as others have said you must make the decision based on what's right for you, good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
    Last edited by billybobman; December 5th, 2010 at 01:52.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by billybobman View Post
    Perrelet is not a new watchmaker, they were founded in 1777, invented the automatic watch (well, sort of), and I don't think depreciation should be too bad as they're pretty well known to most watch lovers and make all of their own movements. In fact they're one of the oldest (still going) watchmakers in the world, along with Jaquet Droz, Breguet, Dubois, Favre Leuba etc. I personally love their watches and wouldn't hesitate to buy or recommend one (if I could afford it). But as others have said you must make the decision based on what's right for you, good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
    First, they use many modified ETA movements.

Second, I don't think they're the same company. About 5 or 6 years ago the Festina Group bought the rights to the name.

Quote Originally Posted by billybobman View Post
    Perrelet is not a new watchmaker, they were founded in 1777, invented the automatic watch (well, sort of), and I don't think depreciation should be too bad as they're pretty well known to most watch lovers and make all of their own movements. In fact they're one of the oldest (still going) watchmakers in the world, along with Jaquet Droz, Breguet, Dubois, Favre Leuba etc. I personally love their watches and wouldn't hesitate to buy (if I could afford it) or recommend one. But as others have said you must make the decision based on what's right for you, good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.
    I read Invicta is almost as old! They were founded in 1837 and should hold their value just as well as a Perrelet! Give them a look.

-T
    So what difference does it make, whether it's 20 minutes or 20 years, since neither amounts to the faintest echo of the tiniest whisper in the thunder of time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information