Perrelet Titanium Series Case Hardness and/or titanium grade?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Perseus
  • 1 Post By DM71

Thread: Perrelet Titanium Series Case Hardness and/or titanium grade?

Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)

Perrelet Titanium Series Case Hardness and/or titanium grade?

Looking for it but striking out. Anyone have any info on the grade of titanium used or, even better, the case hardness? There is a lot of talk about the turbine and how the Titanium series was created due to the success of the Turbine. But I see no indication that the same coating is used as on the Turbine. From the looks of it, it is uncoated. So I wonder of the titanium grade and hardness. Thanks.

While at it, these are also lingering in my mind. Anyone have any ideas why a double rotor (with one on the face) makes sense? Is it just visuals? Aso, never really got into the turbine. Beyond the aesthetics of the spinning face (and the obvious mechanical workmanship going into making that happen) is there a point of it from a functional view?
    NOMOS Ludwig Oberlehrer / Orient Mako Yellow / Seiko 5 - SNK665K / Seiko 5 - SNKK47 / Orient Orbit - CERAK003W (for which I really need a white silicone band) / Seiko Orange Monster (2nd ed.)
    60+ Cornavin Geneve watches (with a few Russian ones), few other flea market pick ups and family hand me downs (inc. pocket watches and alarm clocks)
    Next up: Maybe a Speedy Pro, Maybe a Steelers El Primero, Maybe a nice gold watch with a 1003 or 12P or I might just swing for the grail (Royal Oak)

Re: Perrelet Titanium Series Case Hardness and/or titanium grade?

Why don't you contact Perrelet through their website?

I don't think many of us here test case hardness on watch brands. Although I seem to recall a thread that discussed the hardness of titanium compared to steel and may have provided vickers hardness numbers.
    Chronographs: Breitling 2 tone Chronomat Evo, Roger Dubuis Easy Diver, DeWitt Academia Sequential, Franck Muller Conquistador, IWC Aquatimer, Hublot Oceanographic 1000, Parmigiani Pershing 45, Paul Picot Plongeur, Royal Oak Offshore Gstaad, Franck Muller Vanguard Carbon, Franck Muller Conquistador, Chopard Mille Miglia, Zenith Defy Aero.. 3 Hand: Angular Momentum diver, Bucherer ScubaTec 2-tone, UN MM Diver 2-tone, Omega Ploprof, Ball Hunley, Omega SM 300 Master Co-Ax 2-tone, Chopard Pro 1, Zodiac Super Sea Wolf, Panerai Sub ti, Monta OceanKing, Breitling SOH II

The spinning watch face is cool, but it's not anymore functional than the spinning rims on a car. BLING BLING!

Nokie likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes Perrelet will be the best source for information about the hardness of both the titanium and the surface coating. You may also want to ask whether the factory offers a refinishing service for the coating. The twin rotors offer no improvement in winding efficiency over a single rotor. But they look cool and that's part of why we buy watches.

Chicago / Budapest (Depending on the Day of the Week)

Got my response from the company. Posting it FYI. It is Grade 5 Titanium. (And yes, there is a great thread about titanium hardness here. Grade 5 is specifically discussed.) I do find the rotor on the face gimmicky. (I also find the turbine gimmicky.) But I do have a lot of respect for the company and I like the line. The chrono can be had for a reasonable price. I wish it was true about the regulator retrograde as well :)
    NOMOS Ludwig Oberlehrer / Orient Mako Yellow / Seiko 5 - SNK665K / Seiko 5 - SNKK47 / Orient Orbit - CERAK003W (for which I really need a white silicone band) / Seiko Orange Monster (2nd ed.)
    60+ Cornavin Geneve watches (with a few Russian ones), few other flea market pick ups and family hand me downs (inc. pocket watches and alarm clocks)
    Next up: Maybe a Speedy Pro, Maybe a Steelers El Primero, Maybe a nice gold watch with a 1003 or 12P or I might just swing for the grail (Royal Oak)

The turbine might not do anything but I think it's cool and not over the top. I bet this one looks awesome when the turbine gets moving.

I have a Double Rotor Perrelet and I agree it looks a bit "theatrical', but I sure get a bunch of compliments on it. I think it is because it certainly does not look like your typical "normal" watch dial.

I also have their Big Date model and they are an underrated brand in terms of build quality and unique/non-main stream designs, love it or hate it, IMO.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Cool you say? I think it's super cool! I love them!

Steve2011 likes this.
    ~ Daniel ~

I don't know what grade 5 titanium translates into in terms of durability for the owner. Titanium is the base and an applied coating is what you see. You may also want to ask about the finish durability and whether the factory will refinish the inevitable scratches and wear through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Littvay View Post
    Got my response from the company. Posting it FYI. It is Grade 5 Titanium. (And yes, there is a great thread about titanium hardness here. Grade 5 is specifically discussed.) I do find the rotor on the face gimmicky. (I also find the turbine gimmicky.) But I do have a lot of respect for the company and I like the line. The chrono can be had for a reasonable price. I wish it was true about the regulator retrograde as well :)

Thread Information