Persistent Dust In Watch Dial Issues Despite Numerous Servicings..Clean Dials Impossible?
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Persistent Dust In Watch Dial Issues Despite Numerous Servicings..Clean Dials Impossible?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Persistent Dust In Watch Dial Issues Despite Numerous Servicings..Clean Dials Impossible?

Any members here who has the same issues.

I have a Breitling that has underwent a dial replacement and trips to service centre for dust in dial removal , watch still came back with numerous white spots/dusts around the dial.

Truthfully, these particles are visible only upon close inspection under sunlight/ strong light source.

Should i leave it alone? Or send the watch in again?

I am tolerant with a few small particles actually but numerous particles are simply unacceptable?

It seems my watches can never be clean on the inside. I have other watches of other brands that has dusts in the dial. Trips to service centre doesnt seem to solve my issues as they often introduce new dust particles in the dial

Am i being too picky? Should i leave these small dust particles alone ?

Re: Persistent Dust In Watch Dial Issues Despite Numerous Servicings..Clean Dials Impossible?

It seems to me that this bothered you enough to come ask the rest of us if it bothers us if our watches have this problem so I think ignoring the dust won't work well for you ? I like for my things to be in good order and working as intended myself but I learned quickly when I became interested in watches not to look over my watches too closely for imperfections. You will find them.
    You indicate that the dust is only visible under certain conditions ? I have owned watches that came new with fingerprint smudges on the inside of the crystal so I think there are really varying levels of quality controls in place without a doubt.Good Luck working this out. I wish I had better advice than to tell you to ignore it. Jmho
    Kevin

Re: Persistent Dust In Watch Dial Issues Despite Numerous Servicings..Clean Dials Impossible?

My opinion is that if you can see something under the crystal with a standard loupe (2.5x or so) that can be removed, it shouldn't be there. Fingerprints and dust are trivial to remove with bulb blowers and Rodico, and they have no business being inside a watch.

Of course I agree with statements above to some extent: if you look hard enough, you can always find something wrong. But if it's easy to remedy, it shouldn't be there.
    edhchoe, Streetboss and EHV like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm trying to just deal with the fact that my new Pelagos has 3 dust specs. One on the underside of the crystal neat 7 marker, one sort of pinned between the rehaut and crystal at 23 seconds, and one in black on the lume plot at 12. They are visible with the naked eye and kind of upset me at first, but at the end of the day they aren't moving or affecting functionality and remind me that nothing is perfect! When it eventually goes for service I'll have them address it.

Photo attached, see if you can spot them.

Last edited by easyP; June 26th, 2015 at 01:33.

Where do you guys buy these imperfect watches?
    if you see dust on the dial I would think there is dust on the other side of the dial which may unfavorably affect the accuracy of the watch.
    I feel sorry for you guys. I hope you get those issues resolved.

Quote Originally Posted by easyP View Post
    I'm trying to just deal with the fact that my new Pelagos has 3 dust specs. One on the underside of the crystal neat 7 marker, one sort of pinned between the rehaut and crystal at 23 seconds, and one in black on the lume plot at 12. They are visible with the naked eye and kind of upset me at first, but at the end of the day they aren't moving or affecting functionality and remind me that nothing is perfect! When it eventually goes for service I'll have them address it.

Photo attached, see if you can spot them.

i see it, it's pretty obvious .

i do have a Tudor with a few particles like yrs but I decided to leave it alone since it's only about 5 particles.

however my Breitling has too many dust particles especially at the corners, I may decide to send it to a well- trusted watch maker to get most of it removed.

Quote Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
    Where do you guys buy these imperfect watches?
    if you see dust on the dial I would think there is dust on the other side of the dial which may unfavorably affect the accuracy of the watch.
    I feel sorry for you guys. I hope you get those issues resolved.
    I would say these watches are not imperfect.

In my opinion, most watches if not all have dust particles, some of which are big enough to be noticed, rest of them are to small to be noticed. Look at yr watches close enough in sunlight and you should be able to see particles in the watch.

A few dust particles are acceptable for me but some of mine are horrendous

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    My opinion is that if you can see something under the crystal with a standard loupe (2.5x or so) that can be removed, it shouldn't be there. Fingerprints and dust are trivial to remove with bulb blowers and Rodico, and they have no business being inside a watch.

Of course I agree with statements above to some extent: if you look hard enough, you can always find something wrong. But if it's easy to remedy, it shouldn't be there.
    it is indeed a easy fix, but opening up a watch means introducing more dust particles into a watch.

I think getting service with a watchmaker that has access to a clean (dust-free) room might help. My guess is that Grand Seiko or Rolex service centers might have something like that, but that's just a guess. I don't know about other brands. I would think that the regular watchmaker's shop does not have a clean room.

There was one YouTube video that I watched in which the watchmaker for GS spent ~2 minutes dabbing at the watch dial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVwu...AsjoOq&index=2 Maybe one would need to have a watchmaker like that to service one's watches, someone who is meticulous. I think sending watches back to the same place that returned watches with dust between the dial and the crystal would likely give the same result again.

For me, I just try to live with dust on hands/dial. I didn't pay a lot for my watches, so I don't expect superior attention to detail.

One time I had a lithium ion battery change and crystal replacement for a Seiko kinetic at a local watch store. Afterwards, I found a big piece of dust on the dial. I told the watchmaker, and he took the watch apart, dabbed at the dial/hands for awhile, put it back together, and I'm pretty happy with that. The big piece of dust was gone. Under 10x loupe, the dial is not perfect, but if it looks okay with naked eye, I'm okay with that.

Watch dandruff...it's terrible! If it's just one or two small white specks I'd let it be. I once went a watch in bc it has a large lack speck on a silver dial...ended up with 3 white specks that were slightly less noticeable. Wouldn't do it again.

NM

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information