pet peeves - second hand not matching the markers
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: pet peeves - second hand not matching the markers

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

pet peeves - second hand not matching the markers

Hi All,

Here's one of my pet peeves in quartz watches - when the second hand misses the markers (sometimes by very little and sometimes it just won't meet them ever, striking somewhere in between them)

Is it just me and other people don't notice this? How hard is it for manufacturers to produce a movement that does not do it? Out of all affordable (and not so) watches that I've seen Seiko seem to have gotten it right, others like Citizen, Victorinox, Wenger even some Tissot that I've seen looked all over the place...

I mean, take a Swiss made $400 quartz Victorinox that seems to be counting 0.5 sec, 1.5 sec, 2.2 sec etc. Just does not look right and gets me very mad how an otherwise beautiful watch will not get to meet my wrist...

Please share your thoughts on this subject
    CitizenM and Ridly like this.

Re: pet peeves - second hand not matching the markers

I've got a 30 year old Omega that hits them right on the button. Most of my other quartz models are close enough. Doesn't bother me frankly. If it bothers you go for small second dials - I have two of these and they are right on the money.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Yep, small seconds. Or forget the sweeping second hand entirely, in fact I sometimes prefer it, makes the watch look a lot cleaner.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

My experience is that very few quartz analogs hit the marks accurately. My Citizen Skyhawk AT doesn't; my Tag has a small seconds hand, so not an issue. Frankly, I just don't get too worked up over it. I say if it bothers you, you need to switch to mechanical movements.
    Hotel Clerk: Do you have seventeen dollars and a good watch?
    Del: No I don't. I have uh... two dollars... and a Casio.
    ------------------------------------------------------
    BREITLING: Navitimer Cosmonaute D22322 | CASIO: MTG-910DA, MTG-1200B, GW-200-2JF, GW-5000, GW-M5610, GW-9400 | IWC: Mark XVI 3255-01 | OMEGA: Seamaster Professional 2220.5000, Speedmaster Professional 311.30.42.30.01.005 | TAG HEUER: Formula 1 Chronograph CAU1111 | ZENITH: El Primero 1969 Chronomaster 03.2040.400

It's a fact of life with quartz movements. If your not happy, switch to mechanical or a "sweeping" quartz.

cheers,
    Jake.
    Breitling Super Avenger
    Breitling SuperOcean
    Bremont MBII
    Bremont ALT1-P
    Casio G-Shock Aviator GW-3000B
    Omega Seamaster 2541.80
    Seiko Black Monster
    Seiko SKX007
    Suunto Core "All Black"
    Suunto Core Alpine Edition
    Suunto Vector
    Tissot Sea-Touch.

"When the weight of the paper equals the weight of the airplane, only then you can go flying."

Quote Originally Posted by nuovorecord View Post
    My experience is that very few quartz analogs hit the marks accurately. My Citizen Skyhawk AT doesn't; my Tag has a small seconds hand, so not an issue. Frankly, I just don't get too worked up over it. I say if it bothers you, you need to switch to mechanical movements.
    And I have switched :) but once in a while I get a glance over a quartz watch "that could", specifically Eco-Drives, but, alas... My only Eco Drive right now hits it right on the marks, but others that I've looked at... Just want some grab and go nice looking watches that I don't have to reset every time...
    CitizenM likes this.

I have 2 Seiko quartz analogue watches and on neither does the second hand consistantly hit the mark all the way round the dial; I think it's due to backlash in the gears?

I've had several quartz Breitlings that were dead on all the way around the dial, especially the SQ models. I always check a few different models and pick the one that lines up best.

I was scolded soundly for suggesting that at the very least expensive high-end quartz watches should hit the marks with their second hands. Apparently caring about the quality of watches isn't what the cool kids do around here.

Oh, and saw a new Grand Seiko quartz yesterday with a badly misaligned second hand. If it happens even to GS I'm definitely done with analog quartz.
    CitizenM likes this.
    Guys, I really really really do understand that there was a hack and that my password was reset, but I'm about to take a year off from WUS if you can't stop telling me about it every time I log in. With my password. That you reset.

If a watch costs $$$ then the second hand should line up perfectly with the markers and blah blah blah blah..... this has been covered a million times. If you don't like it, don't buy it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information