Petrol motor in watches?

Thread: Petrol motor in watches?

Petrol motor in watches?

Has anyone seen this yet? Seems cool and futuristic.

Name:  tiny motor.jpg
Views: 873
Size:  14.2 KBSCIENTISTS have built the smallest petrol engine, tiny enough to power a WATCH. The mini-motor, which runs for two years on a single squirt of lighter fuel, is set to revolutionize world technology. It produces 700 times more energy than a conventional battery despite being less than a centimeter long not even half an inch. It could be used to operate laptops and mobile phones for months doing away with the need for recharging. Experts believe it could be phasing out batteries in such items within just six years. The engine, minute enough to be balanced on a fingertip, has been produced by engineers at the University of Birmingham. Dr Kyle Jiang, lead investigator from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, said: "We are looking at an industrial revolution happening in peoples' pockets. "The breakthrough is an enormous step forward. "Devices which need re- charging or new batteries are a problem but in six years will be a thing of the past." Other applications for the engine could include medical and military uses, such as running heart pacemakers or mini reconnaissance robots. At present, charging an ordinary battery to deliver one unit of energy involves putting 2,000 units into it. The little engine, because energy is produced locally, is far more effective. One of the main problems faced by engineers who have tried to produce micro motors in the past has been the levels of heat produced. The engines got so hot they burned themselves out and could not be re-used. The Birmingham team overcame this by using heat-resistant materials such as ceramic and silicon carbide. Professor Graham Davies, head of the university's engineering school, said: "We've brought together all the engineering disciplines, materials, chemical engineering, civil engineering, and mechanical engineering. "What better place to have the second industrial revolution in nano-technology than where the first took place, in the heart of the West Midlands.

Don't make me go Blackbelt on ya!
    Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Re: Petrol motor in watches?

How large will it be when all that smog equipment is added?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TxKarateDude View Post
    Has anyone seen this yet?
    Yep: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f2/smal...en-496281.html

Don't know why it would even be considered for a watch, unless for the novelty.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Now THAT was funny WB! I can just see a watch with a catalytic converter and a tailpipe.
    Last edited by TxKarateDude; March 14th, 2011 at 19:29.

Terry
    -------------------
    Breitling Navitimer 01 LE, Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish, Bathys Aquaculture black PVD, Seiko Sumo, Seiko Orange Monster, RXW MM20,
    RXW MM25, Chase-Durer conquest, Movado series 800 Diver, Movado Museum, Citizen Ecodrive chrono, Bulova Precisionist

Dennis the fact that you'd never need batteries makes it more eco-friendly. I don't really see it in watches either, but it sounds like the possibilities are endless.

Terry
    -------------------

April 1st is close...

I simply do not like the idea of another technology using petrol. It might be revolutionary has an accomplishment, but a total none sense in our days IMO. Time will tell i guess...
    ~ Daniel ~

Well, it's a good thing somebody finally solved the problem of wrist fatigue caused by all those automatic winders.
    Too many watches, not enough wrists.

"Watches tie people to the celestial clockwork... but people have been encouraged by their clocks to ignore the daily and seasonal cycles and to pretend that there is nothing to contend with but metronome-paced linear time. We appear to have caged the sun inside a machine." Michael Young, The Metronomic Society, p. 204

Remember seeing if this was true or not on Snopes.
    It's an old story from 2003, but still cool, though 8 years later, we haven't heard any more about it...
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...ticle80219.ece
    "My grail showed up today"

Has it moved beyond prototyping since it was announced in 2003? I haven't read a thing other than the same press release echoing from blog to blog. Vaporware maybe?

Thread Information