Phantom vs. Soarway

Thread: Phantom vs. Soarway

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Phantom vs. Soarway

Ok, folks. I have some time before funds will allow a new watch purchase, but I wanted to get some input from my trusted Koboldian bretheren on which of these should grace my wrist next. Some of you old hats know that I brought you into the mix when deciding on my last purchase and you talked me into the Seal and I am so thankful for it.

Soarway: pros for me: Nice classy looking watch, dresses up nicely on the bracelet. I will probably wear it almost exclusively on the bracelet, fits a need as a dressier watch, but still has that diver/sportier look. For that reason it fills a void in collection and would allow me to put the SOA on a nice calf skin and leave it there rather than keep swithcing into the bracelet. When I can afford to buy, could afford to buy new and give Kobold my business because they were so incredible to me and my family.

Cons: My grail of watches is a blue faced two tone submariner. If I go with a blue face (which it almost seems criminal not to have a blue faced Kobold) then they are kind of simliar and almost fill the same slot in the collection. If I don't go blue face with a Soarway ( I do like the black quite a bit) then it would leave it difficult to add a blue face in the future as Phantom will likely follow.

Phantom: Watch that drew me into Kobold brand. One of the coolest looking watches I have ever seen. Fills the Chronograph hole in my collection which I would probably use on trips and things like that. (plus everyone needs something with multiple dials in the collection right?) A watch that trailed the Soarway in my mind before visiting Kobold and it was the watch I was most drawn to while in the shop. Plus, have you seen the pictures, it just looks dam* good on me

cons: Can you have too much PVD? Darth..Fortis..Phantom. (though I might consider selling the Fortis if I picked up a Phantom) Pricier, used prices same as new Soarway, and new means even long wait. Have thought for two years that my chronograph addition would be a restored Apollo era Speedmaster (The Apollo era is the single most event in history I wish I had been alive through, so that is special to me) Though I don't see this one as huge because I think two distinctly different chronos would go well in a collection. This is a watch that I would wear almost always on the PVD bracelet and from some of the pics I have seen out there, it seems that pvd bracelts on the Phantom tend to show a lot of wear.

One option, though, I have no picture to look at and contemplate on a regular basis, is a blue faced Phantom.

So, long post, my apologies. Anyone have any thoughts?
    Kobold Phantom Semi Tactical
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Swiss Army Nightvision (FS)
    Tag Heuer Aqua sport 2000

Re: Phantom vs. Soarway

Sounds like you really enjoy the Phantom, so I would recommend the non-PVD version of the Phantom, or try and get Kobold to make another blue faced chrono like Kev wore during the Alcatraz swim earlier in the year. As you know Kobold will do requests for special pieces, and maybe that could be something to consider. Also I wore a Tactical Phantom with a suit all the time, and IMHO is dressed fine up in a suit or down with jeans and a tee shirt.

If you decided to go with the Soarway, I would go white dial since you already have a blue faced dive watch in your rotation. While initially I did not like white dialed watches, over the years I have been drawn to them, and own several. I was even hoping for a white dialed, tactical phantom someday... Who knows....

Great questions.

Personally I don't feel you can have too much PVD.

I've owned the "Blue 2T Rolex Sub" and it's ok but it's not all that. I now have the Rolex New Gen GMT and Old style Pepsi GMT.

The Phantom can be dressy and can be tactical that seems to be a unique piece.

I like the silver/blue faced Soarway but between the two, would go "Phantom".

Anyway just my .02.
    USA/USN Retired
    PADI MSDT and IDC Staff Instr

Doxa 1200T NUMA TQ #7 of 50

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

TMW

Jeff -

These are what you call quality decisions my friend.

So I have:
    - Phantom PVD
    - Soarway Diver PVD
    - Soarway Diver Arctic blue.

My first input to you is go with your instinct. The Phantom was also mine. I never thought I would do a SD, but an opportunity came to me to get new. so I did. Took a while for me to warm up to it - couldnt get a seal off of my wrist that I got just before.

But I decided one day to wear it. And the next day. And the next. I have said it many times on this forum - the SD, is the most "underrated" piece in the line, and other than the LSD is my favorite Kobold. Yes over the seal!

It has a lot of looks - on bracelet, rubber or zulu/nato. I cant tell you how good the blue is on the dial.

Then I saw the tactical. Had to get another soarway.

The SDs are the thinnest kobolds - and to me the best balanced - as compared to the thicker Phantom/PS/Endurance/etc design.

So in reality, Jeff - BOTH. Your instincts were the same as mine and I went Phantom. If the Chronograph is more important to you (it is less so to me), the phantom is the one.

And as to PVD, I agree with Roadshadowww...you can never have enough - and looks good dressed up or down.

So not to add to your confusion - here are a couple of pics with my lousy photo skills. One day I need to take real pics. Just have to find the time.

Todd
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jeff --

Tough question, as it is clear you like both watches so much. A few thoughts, for what they are worth:

(1) With Darth, I understand your reluctance to get another PVD'd watch. When I had Darth and the SOA, I was very happy to add a used EII rather than a Phantom largely because of the different look of the EII compared to the PVD'd Phantom and Darth (to say nothing of the fact that a used EII often goes for a decent bit less than a used Phantom). I thought those three watches (Darth, SOA and EII) provided a well-rounded collection, with good variety. (BTW, I continue to like the EII a good bit; have you given any thought to getting a used EII?)

(2) I agree with your desire for a chronograph. Have you considered a Polar Surveyor (probably used)? That way you would also be adding a watch with a second time zone (something I am missing) as well.

(3) As you already have a great dive watch with Darth, do you really need a second one? Having both, I wonder if you Darth would ever make the Soarway look "small."

(4) I absolutely understand your desire to get a new watch directly from Kobold.

(5) Because it would (1) provide a different (non-PVD) look, (2) save you $400 over the PVD Phantom, (3) give you a watch that not many people seem to have and (4) give you a titanium watch, have you considered the Ti Phantom? This week I have worn my SOA for the first time after getting the LSD, and the lighter weight of the SOA is surprisinly refreshing. I am becoming more and more a fan of titanium cases.

Just my thoughts. Keep us posted!
    John

Thanks for all the input thus far. I did consider the naked Ti Phantom, but found the phantom being Ti and the Ti bracelet were a little light for my taste. I have considered the white face Soarway as well as Chad at Hennes had one when we were visiting. It does kind of draw you in, especially with the different hands on the white face. I have a white face Tag now and have always liked the white face too Obie.

I don't mind several chronos or dive watches in the collection, as I like both looks. I just am the type that has a very specific reason/time for wearing each look and want to make sure I don't have two that are too similiar. (i.e. a blue face dress diver (soarway in blue and sub two tone)

I have thought about an Eii, but there haven't been many floating around lately. Are they ti or SS? I would love to do a custom piece like Kev's, but I do prefer the weight of the SS. Good thing I have time to make a decision I guess.
    Kobold Phantom Semi Tactical
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Swiss Army Nightvision (FS)
    Tag Heuer Aqua sport 2000

The EII are SS, and they come up from time to time, at a very reasonable price.

Wink Re: Phantom vs. Soarway

Jeff--
    I think you can have too much PVD....heretical statement to some I'm sure, but then again, not a lot of women are sporting full PVD set-ups. It's just my opinion, and I live here in the land of tactical fashion with the national Guard base 1 mile from house, Navy base and Groton sub base less than 6 miules away....Your Darth Seal is a whole meal of manly-man Darth-ness (is that a word?...it is now ), why putz with fast food??

You want my input? I think you should sell the SOA & get a blue SD and some kind of Phantom with the extra money. I probably would not own both the SOA and the SD. Just my opinion,

Two-tone blue RX submariner? You have places you want to wear something that bling-y and dressy? or will the blue SD be just understated enough to make a very nice statement?

Personally, I love that black dial SD, and am not drawn to white dials at all (anymore). Wear the white Tag for a week, and see how you feel.

Enjoy

God Bless, Liz

Follow me on Instagram @squibby118

Kev

Watchesnboats,

Sorry so late to this post. I am still in a food coma. Phantom or a Soarway. . . that is a tough one. It is such a personal decision. Since you handled both at Kobold, you gotta trust your instincts.

If it were me, the decision would between a Phantom and an LSD. Those are my favorite Kobolds. Since the Phantom is on my favorite list and the SD isn't, my preference is clear. . .

p.s. I'm biased and don't even own a Kobold (yet), so my 2 cents are only worth 1.
    Last edited by Kev; November 24th, 2007 at 20:48.

The answer is written in RED.
    You can't buy time but you can always buy a watch.

My ever changing collection...
    • CITIZEN-Calibre 2100 Eco-Drive
    • HAMILTON-Riva Chronograph
    • MOVADO-Original Bold Museum Chronograph Blue
    • PANERAI-Luminor Sub Chrono 1000M PAM187
    • ROLEX-Deepsea Sea-Dweller
    • SEIKO ANANTA Chronograph SRQ005
    • ROLEX GMT II Black/Blue
    • and way too many others in previous times.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information