Philip Stein or Maurice Lacroix?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Philip Stein or Maurice Lacroix?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Philip Stein or Maurice Lacroix?

First off, I am a rookie. I have finally graduated from designer (Armani, D&G, etc.) watches and trying to get my first man's watch, I guess I could say. Perhaps my choices aren't a part of the group but I am getting closer. I recently bought this Philip Stein watch (http://www.amazon.com/Philip-Stein-3...882946&sr=8-90). I received it and am not as crazy about it as I hoped about a $1000 watch - possibly because the gray part around the dial is actually mirror-like. This ML (Amazon.com: Maurice Lacroix Men's PT6157-SS001-110 Pontos Rectangulaire Power Reserve Watch: Maurice Lacroix: Watches) caught my eye and now I have to make a fast decision if I should return the PS.

I have a thing for roman numerals but my Emporio Armani is already a steal with silver numerals on a black dial. I just also got a Tissot, steel with silver numerals on white dial. ML would be yet another numeral watch. I buy watches for occasions, and those that really stand out. Tissot is for work.....the PS or ML will be for fancy nights. I try to avoid buying the exact same watches so I don't have to retire older ones.

I would like to receive some opinions based on watch knowledge far greater than mine. You can rate them, say they're both ugly, etc. I haven't heard of PS but perhaps I liked its flashiness. In your critique, if you can teach me something brief a "watch guy" should know I would also appreciate that.

Not a fan of that Philip stein, they don't pull off the dual dial very well. I'm generally a fan of ML but that rectangular face doesn't do it for me, so I'd say neither.
    Current Collection:

IWC Pilot Saint Exupery edition power reserve

Maurice Lacroix Pontos Chrono with Aligator Strap (who says you can't wear a Chrono with a Tux?)

Tag Heuer Grand Carrera Calibre 17 with stainless bracelet (The Desk Diver)

Casio G Shock AWG101-1A (The Beater/ Lazy Sunday watch)

U-Boat Classico ref.5565

Re: Philip Stein or Maurice Lacroix?

My brother-in-law received a Phillip Stein from my other brother-in-law and he hates it. If I had a choice between the two, 10 times out of 10 I'd go with the Lacroix. For that amount of money, however...there are several other options. From the two selections you have it seems you preference the square dial automatic. Might I recommend either one of these Hamiltons which IMHO is better than both of those. Not only, you can save up to $500. Keep in mind as well, you can always buy the watch with the bracelet and later on add a leather strap, either OEM or Manufactured.

Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 1847
Size:  9.7 KB

Name:  jazz_white.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  77.3 KB

Name:  square.gif
Views: 1757
Size:  9.1 KB

Name:  jazzmaster_sq.jpg
Views: 1922
Size:  76.6 KB

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

While I like Maurice Lacroix in general. I think that you can find something more unusual. I'd return the Philip Stein and get the Perrelet Power Reserve Sunburt dial with day and date.

Perrelet A1021/3 Day Date Power Reserve Cushion Watch Review
    http://www.amazon.com/Perrelet-A1021.../dp/B004Y5PIGS
    Perrelet : Power Reserve Day-Date Cushion : A1021/2 : PER10212 : Bernard Watch Co.

Return the Philip Stein. It's just... not good. And you don't like it, so there's really no question. As to the Maurice Lucroix, I like the brand but I don't like that watch. I prefer the Hamilton posted above significantly if you're going to go square face.

My small addition to the dialogue is the observation that the PS is a very unusual design, and if you don't love it now, and if you're thinking of returning it so soon after purchasing it, you will probably not get more attached to it. I'd send it back. (Frankly I don't like the style much, but I don't know anything about its quality.)

As for the ML, I like a lot of their stuff, though this isn't one of my favorite designs. But if you like it, go for it. The ML watches I've seen are good quality. Both my wife and I have an ML, and we are happy with them.
    Last edited by dbakiva; February 10th, 2012 at 23:33.

+1 on the Hamilton, really nice watch (obviously has absolutely nothing to do with me owning the black dial non-chrono version)

Sent from my SHW-M380W using Tapatalk

+1 Hamilton. The PS doesn't even compete, and I agree...if you are unsure now, it ain't going to get better. The ML...I have yet to warm up to ML as a brand, and the watch you selected doesn't help the situation. Good Luck on you selection!

Grail: Montblanc Villeret Tachydate Monopusher

Ouch. I didn't expect the negativity on the PS. I usually get compliments on my watches but admittedly it's not from watch aficionados so I anticipated the comments. I'll have to figure that one out. I am not a fan of the Hamilton brand however the Perrelet is my style which I haven't heard of before. Appreciate the words anway.

I actually love this one but it's over the budget significantly. Amazon.com: Perrelet Men's A1021/1 Power Reserve Silver Sunburst Dial Watch: Perrelet: Watches

I would want a black strap. I have never changed straps before. Can this be done since this watch has a steel clasp attached to the band?

(Style question: do brown band watches need to be worn with brown belts/shoes?)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information