Photoshopping watch ads

Thread: Photoshopping watch ads

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Photoshopping watch ads

A forum (and my!!) darling company recently photoshopped an older ad of theirs.

The ad had a gentleman wearing an older model; in the new ad he appears to be wearing the newer model (+ it is obviously a photoshopped thingy - everything else in the pic is the same).

Somewhat distasteful; kina cute actually (esp as they are a pretty small outfit + they do not have big advertising budget etc).

Does anybody know of other instances where this has happened? (+ I do not mean keeping the same background or sth - am talking actual photoshopping of the wrist pic).

-- h

PS In the interest of disclosure: the company is Damasko + the ad is for their new DC80 chrono (sans date, central-minute - Lemania 5100-style, modified 7750 => old-school-établissage. Checks a lot of boxes + me wants it badly).
    Last edited by harryst; October 11th, 2017 at 06:22.

Moderator at Large stuffler,mike's Avatar

Re: Photoshopping watch ads

Everyone and his dog do.

Why posting identical stuff on two fora now ? Wouldn‘t one thread do the trick ?

Quote from our Damasko forum:

I couldn't care less. They used it on FB in the context of inviting to their Monostore anniversary last SUN, a venial sin if I may say so.

Die neue DC80 mit DAMEST Beschichtung kann ab Sonntag bei unserem Monostore Jubiläum in Augenschein genommen werden. Wir freuen uns auf Sie!
    The new DC80 with DAMEST coating can be visually inspected at our monostore anniversary on Sunday. We are looking forward to you!
    Last edited by stuffler,mike; October 11th, 2017 at 11:08. Reason: added quote
    Kind regards
    Mike

Instagram @mikestuffler

Don’t see the problem to be honest.
    As long as there is nothing dishonest, then what’s the problem?

Reuse of existing images (that belong to the company) seems fine to me.
    Brad (@bradwatch)
    - appreciating fine affordable watches since 2011

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by stuffler,mike View Post
    Everyone and his dog do.
    Is that true? I have never seen it (on the wrist, that is; changing the background I have certainly seen - even on the famous Patek ads).

Why posting identical stuff on two fora now ? Wouldn‘t one thread do the trick ?
    Because it is not identical! The question here applies to every (other) company...
    Last edited by harryst; October 11th, 2017 at 15:11.

alteration of reality in an ad is not as uncommon as one think ... it has come to a point where it's unheard of if ad = reality (ad that is not altered in some way or another).

to me it just seems it's the most time and cost effective way for Damasko to roll out their new watch ad,
    doing such ad cost money and time ... not as simple as some people think

and this is photoshopping a newer watch on top of an older watch, seems OK to me,

what would be unethical (or distasteful) would be photoshopping blemishes/scratches/damages from a watch to trick viewers,
    kinda like those magazines photoshopping models to appear without blemish, skinnier and more ... endowed

Quote Originally Posted by ari.seoul View Post
    alteration of reality in an ad is not as uncommon as one think ... it has come to a point where it's unheard of if ad = reality (ad that is not altered in some way or another).
    Actually somebody - who does this for a living - was telling me that some - not watch - companies use occasionally umodified pics... and then they "brag" about their honesty (have never seen one, though).

The question remains though: does anybody know of any other watch company who did this? (Mike said tons but... no names/ads).
    Last edited by harryst; October 11th, 2017 at 19:24.

I see no problem with doing it to new watches. If used watches were “cleaned up”, however, it would be a different matter.

All images are digitally enhanced.

Photoshopping color, light and shade are normal but I think going beyond that and adding "thingys" is not right. It makes you wonder; do they even have the watch?

Some watch images are not even real. The company just slaps up a digital rendering and starts asking for money.

Other images are so Photoshopped the watch looks like a cartoon.

And that's why I like WUS wrist shots. About the only place you can get an actual real life image of a watch. ( even though a few are tastefully photoshopped )

I could see this could be a problem if it violates the contract or copyright of the original photographer.

As long as the manipulated image does not misrepresent the product here, I don't see a problem with the practice.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information