Picking My First "Nice" Watch

Thread: Picking My First "Nice" Watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Picking My First "Nice" Watch

Some of you may recognize my username from some other forums, I started my passion with knives, then I found flashlights, and now I'm looking to buy my first "nice" watch as opposed to cheap timexs from Walmart, little $15 digital ones that served my well but now I'm looking for a bit of style.
    I've only owned cheap analog and digital watches but have handled a few Rolexs and a Citizen, the Rolexs aren't my flavor but I really like the eco-drive and similar "battery-less" watches for the unique factor. The concept of a sapphire crystal is intriguing and I'd like one but I'm trying to keep this affordable.

My desires are the following but not limited to:
    -Daily wearable
    -Automatic, eco-drive, or other battery free movement
    -Analog is a must
    -Preferably a bracelet, but a leather band will be considered
    -I'd like to keep the price under $150 but I'll flex to $250 if necessary

I know that $150 is a cheap watch to you guys but it's a lot for me and I'm hoping it's enough to get what I want, I like this one quite a bit so I guess I like diver style watches.
    http://www.discountwatchstore.com/In...l_p_1357.html#
    But I also like this Citizen so I'm not limiting myself to a diver.
    http://www.bluedial.com/bl8097-01e.htm

Thanks ahead of time and any help would be appreciated.

Re: Picking My First "Nice" Watch

Take a look at this recent thread in the affordables forum. Guy was asking about affordable divers with yellow/orange dials but there are a bunch of pics there and ideas for you.

https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=421669

My suggestions in that thread were an Orient Mako or a Bernhardt Sea Shark.

Bob
    Current Collection
    Omega Seamaster 2542.20 "Bond" - white dial, Breitling Colt GMT - silver, UTS 500M Bauhaus black, Sinn U1 - black, Sinn U1 -
    Orange​, Sinn U1 - Yellow, Doxa 1200T - Orange, Doxa Divingstar 300 - Yellow, Alpina Extreme 40 Sailing Chronograph - black, Tag Heuer SEL Link - Grey, Tag Heuer 1000 - Black Coral, AEgir CD-2 - grey, Benarus Moray - Green, Nauticfish 1000M - Blue, Boschett Cave Dweller - Yellow​, Boschett Cave Dweller - Grey, Boschett Legacy - Black/Gold, Bernhardt Sea Shark - red, Irreantum Magellan - blue, Irreantum Magellan - Orange, Ocean7 LM1 - Lume dial , Artego 500M - blue, Helson Shark Diver(45mm) - white/blue, Oliver Bronze - ​Brown, Hailos Holotype- yellow

Quote Originally Posted by abladeafficionado View Post
    Some of you may recognize my username from some other forums, I started my passion with knives, then I found flashlights, and now I'm looking to buy my first "nice" watch as opposed to cheap timexs from Walmart, little $15 digital ones that served my well but now I'm looking for a bit of style.
    I've only owned cheap analog and digital watches but have handled a few Rolexs and a Citizen, the Rolexs aren't my flavor but I really like the eco-drive and similar "battery-less" watches for the unique factor. The concept of a sapphire crystal is intriguing and I'd like one but I'm trying to keep this affordable.

My desires are the following but not limited to:
    -Daily wearable
    -Automatic, eco-drive, or other battery free movement
    -Analog is a must
    -Preferably a bracelet, but a leather band will be considered
    -I'd like to keep the price under $150 but I'll flex to $250 if necessary

I know that $150 is a cheap watch to you guys but it's a lot for me and I'm hoping it's enough to get what I want, I like this one quite a bit so I guess I like diver style watches.
    http://www.discountwatchstore.com/In...l_p_1357.html#
    But I also like this Citizen so I'm not limiting myself to a diver.
    http://www.bluedial.com/bl8097-01e.htm

Thanks ahead of time and any help would be appreciated.
    I feel like I'm starting to sound like a reapeating piece of doo doo.... but I'd spring for about 300 bucks (or 150-200 used) Citizen 2100. Sapphire Crystal, eco-drive, Chronograph all made in Japan... Wonderful watch.

The entire movement is hand assembled. What a value.

Nobody listens, but I'll post a pic anyway.....

Seiko / Orient / Hamilton

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Be patient and wait for a lightly used Seiko SKX007 on the Sales Corner here. It's a better watch all round than the Invicta you posted.

You'll be able to find one for US$100 - 120 in near mint condition. Or you could try Ebay. The one I bought recently was under US$150 BNIB, on a rubber strap.

Then buy a Super Oyster II bracelet from Yobokies or William Jean (the standard 007 bracelet isn't the best).

If you shop carefully and buy used, this will all come in well under US$200. That leaves change for a sapphire conversion by Yobokies, if you are interested (around US$50).

Then you will have a high quality, professional dive watch that not only is highly functional but is also very handsome on the wrist.

I won't detail all the contact details, bracelet specs, etc here. The hunt is half the fun. Good luck!

Any input on that Invicta specifically? It's a more attractive price and I really like the style. That Citizen 2100 is actually one that I've drooled over but I can't swallow that $300 price tag.
    Both the 2100 and divers are the style I'm looking for. The others posted are nice but not quite my cup of tea but thanks for the variety in suggestions. The Mako is nice and I really like it for the price. Sorry for the question as I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but whats the button on top for? Pressure release or something?
    I'd like to keep case size under 42mm, 40mm is about the sweet spot.
    EDIT: The most diving I do is about 15 feet while out on the boat, so a max depth diver isn't needed, I just like the style.
    Did a bit of reading, found out what the top button is for, and prefer it to the Invicta, isn't much more expensive and I like it better.
    Last edited by abladeafficionado; July 12th, 2010 at 07:09.

Any input on that Invicta specifically? It's a more attractive price and I really like the style. That Citizen 2100 is actually one that I've drooled over but I can't swallow that $300 price tag.
    Both the 2100 and divers are the style I'm looking for. The others posted are nice but not quite my cup of tea but thanks for the variety in suggestions. The Mako is nice and I really like it for the price. Sorry for the question as I'm sure it's been asked many times before, but whats the button on top for? Pressure release or something?
    I'd like to keep case size under 42mm, 40mm is about the sweet spot.
    EDIT: The most diving I do is about 15 feet while out on the boat, so a max depth diver isn't needed, I just like the style.
    Button is a quick change for the day of the week. It advances the weekday when adjusting the watch so to speak.....

Ok, I still think eco-drive will suit you much better than an automatic. For your first "real" watch, automatic is a bit dangerous IMHO...

199 street price, but I think you could do better than that....
    Citizen AT0360-50L
    Sapphire Crystal, ecodrive, world time fucnctionality... 42mm....

I place Sapphire as my number one requirement when it comes to "real" watches. It sounds like you do too....

Quote Originally Posted by sl7vk View Post
    Button is a quick change for the day of the week. It advances the weekday when adjusting the watch so to speak.....

Ok, I still think eco-drive will suit you much better than an automatic. For your first "real" watch, automatic is a bit dangerous IMHO...

199 street price, but I think you could do better than that....
    Citizen AT0360-50L
    Sapphire Crystal, ecodrive, world time fucnctionality... 42mm....

I place Sapphire as my number one requirement when it comes to "real" watches. It sounds like you do too....
    Can you elaborate on that a bit please? That's interesting.

Can you elaborate on that a bit please? That's interesting.
    120 day power reserve when fully charged. The inner dial rotates to tell you the time in other cities... i.e. in this photo, it's 1:05 AM in Paris. Not sure if that is something you're interested in, but I am!

Also has a chronograph with all the functionality of one for timing things...

Solid endlinks, Sapphire crystal, and a nice bracelet seal the deal.

I second everything Jason_recliner said.

The SKX007 is magnificent to behold and the build quality is top notch. Go to your local Seiko AD and try it on (or the SKX173 if you live in the US).

And because we all love pics, this is what it looks like.

I guarantee that if you buy that Invicta, one day you will bump into a guy wearing a 007 and you will be filled to the uttermost with regret.
    "...[A] watch isn’t about telling the time, it is about your relationship with time. A watch is about style, a story and the history of both your watch and your own life."
    -Askmen.com's The Watch Snob

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information