Pics from a treasure chest...or a garbage dump?
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: Pics from a treasure chest...or a garbage dump?

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Pics from a treasure chest...or a garbage dump?

These pics represent a partial inventory of several huge tubs of watches (some working, most not), watchmaking tools, books, manuals, catalogs, and thousands of watch parts, crystals, etc. Overall, it took the entire back portion of my '03 Explorer to haul all of it home. For this stuff I paid $150.00. I thought it was a good deal. However, I know next to nothing about what constitutes useable parts, etc., So, I may have paid for a whole load of interesting, but useless stuff. Looking at the pics, do you guys think I did okay? I can't really even begin to list everything. There are literally thousands of crystals alone, mostly in their original sleeves and amazingly mostly unbroken (there are true crystal crystals and acrylic crystals), hundreds of bags and containers of tiny parts, boxes of loose parts, boxes of watches (Swiss, Russian, English, French and 'mall' watches) that include one old Omega, three Vostoks, an Orvis, a Vulcain, myriad Bulova, Helbros, Elgin, Gruen, Seiko, Timex, Citizen, etc., plus two Baby Ben alarm clocks, two Swiss made travel alarm clocks, a big box of pocket watches and dials/parts, Elgin service manuals from the 50s and 60s, GS and Electro crystal catalogs from 50s and 60s, a Seiko parts manual from 1972, various advertising brochures from the 70s, a Hamilton Electric circular, and much more. I'm happy just sitting in the middle of it all, gazing in wonder at all the neat stuff. It probably exposes me as an uber-dork, but I find some of the old boxes (almost) as cool as the watches! Anyway, any input and advice will be appreciated. Thanks, everyone!

Name:  set three.jpg
Views: 1814
Size:  518.4 KB

Name:  set one.jpg
Views: 1425
Size:  412.4 KB

Name:  set two.jpg
Views: 1435
Size:  492.5 KB
    Last edited by mercurym; February 8th, 2012 at 20:49. Reason: fixed pics
    CitizenM and fasthandssam like this.

Re: Pics from a treasure chest...or a garbage dump?

For some reason, your attachments won't open for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ColinW View Post
    For some reason, your attachments won't open for me.
    same here :(

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

same

Your pictures do not work for me either. Looks like you strung the addresses together. Just uplooad them as an attachment rather than trying to link externally.

To be honest I have seen several in-person auctions where the contents of a closed watch repair shop were sold in bulk. Based on those experiences my opinion is that if you have a repair business and can use the parts then you may come out ok. If you have parts for popular watches then those could also be sold on Ebay. Otherwise selling them will be a long arduous process of selling smaller bulk lots of crystals, springs, etc., on Ebay. It is hard to tell whether the watches are worth anything or not without seeing if they run and opening them. There is a fair chance the mechanicals and electro-mechanicals were taken in dead and scavanged for parts.

Take a good close look at the complete watches for whether they work, cosmetic condition, and what parts are missing. Then inventory what you have. That will give you a better idea of what might be saleable.
    Last edited by John MS; February 8th, 2012 at 20:46.

Hi, guys -

Sorry 'bout that. Are they working now?

Wow!! thats alot of watches. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I see the pics.

Good Lawd! you paid $150 for all that? Surely there must be something amazing among all the junk.
    Popoki Nui likes this.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

Sure looks like you have your money back and then some in scrap gold. Some of those nos parts must be worth good money. Only problem is the time to do the research.

Possibly good investment

igorfiume

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information