Is this a piece to have in a starter collection?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Is this a piece to have in a starter collection?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Is this a piece to have in a starter collection?

Came across this Bulova Accutron locally and I'm wondering if it's a watch anybody else would consider for their collection? Anything special about it? Can the band be replaced easily? Looks pretty standard to me, but I know Bulova does weird stuff from time to time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

brandon\ likes this.

Re: Is this a piece to have in a starter collection?

If there’s only one thing I like about Bulova, they don’t use long model numbers and they print them on the dial. It makes finding them online super easy.

https://www.jomashop.com/accutron-watch-63a117.html

Would I buy this watch for the right price? Yes. It’s a hand wind - not automatic - which is increasingly rare to come across these days outside of high(er)-end stuff and stuff like Sea-Gull and HMT. Finding a nice, solid, middle-of-the-road hand-cranker is more difficult than you’d think. Also that dial pattern is pretty attractive.

Swapping the strap would be no problem since according to Joma, it’s 20mm. (I’ve found that Joma is pretty accurate when it comes to specs.)

The only thing to watch out for is the size. 42mm all-dial will wear large. And a lot of people would consider this style of watch to trend towards dressy. And since dress watches are typically all-dial, most people consider even 40mm pushing the upper size limit of a dress watch - even for people with larger wrists. But if you found it locally, I assume you can try it on and judge for yourself.

And about the price, Joma represents new grey-market, street-price pretty well. So you can use their price as a starting point of what’s fair. Then of course consider the condition of the watch, age, desirability (both you and the market as a whole), etc…

But, yeah, I’d buy it if the price was right.
    cayabo, D.Brown, Deity42 and 1 others like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

I’d run in the opposite direction as fast as my legs could carry me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

If you like the look of the "Swiss Made", you would be fooled.
    It's an American company, and not "fully" Swiss.
    Would i consider buying it. No. I would go for a more reliable piece:
    • Any of the Seiko 5 series
    • Orient bambino
    • Orient mako
    • Vintage HMT Jawan
    • Orient Monarch
    • Orient ER2700AW
    SeanoftheDead516 likes this.

Well then. Conflicting opinions I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by D.Brown View Post
    Well then. Conflicting opinions I guess.
    Haha what more could you expect? I'm going to take a different approach and say your collection is your collection. Regardless of price, you like what you like. I agree you should only pay what makes sense to you, but if you like it, buy it. I've asked questions like yours only to feel, well, conflicted. No one here lives with your watches, you do. I looked at these a while ago and I think they're pretty slick and they have a cool history.

You could have thrown up a 5 figure watch and you'd get a similar result.

So, you do you :)

Name:  5633a35b1954c86ee70302af04906812d377a1e77e1f3042536f018f0ea2bb62.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  58.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by raxford View Post
    you like what you like. I agree you should only pay what makes sense to you, but if you like it, buy it.
    agreed 100%.

It's your money and your collection; therefore you need to be certain about the decision. Doesn't really matter what a bunch of people on a watch forum think.

If you like it & think the price is right, then go for it and wear it proudly.

Bulova is now owned by Citizen Watch Co. Good Luck!
    raxford likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by CellestinoHernendes View Post
    I’d run in the opposite direction as fast as my legs could carry me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Why? Would you like to enlighten us?

Quote Originally Posted by Mattlamb02 View Post
    If you like the look of the "Swiss Made", you would be fooled.
    It's an American company, and not "fully" Swiss.
    Would i consider buying it. No. I would go for a more reliable piece:
    • Any of the Seiko 5 series
    • Orient bambino
    • Orient mako
    • Vintage HMT Jawan
    • Orient Monarch
    • Orient ER2700AW
    First, what exactly is “the look of ‘Swiss Made’”?

Second, it’s very well known that “Swiss Made” is a farce. It’s a front that is ripe for manipulation when you look at the technical requirements to print “Swiss Made” on a watch. Even heralded brands like Omega use parts from outside of Switzerland despite what the ardent fan boys say. There is a thread floating around somewhere of someone ordering some replacement/extra links for an Omega directly from Omega and they were either shipped from China or had a Made In China sticker on them - I can’t remember the exact details. Either way, the eruption and outrage was hilarious. It was just freaking bracelet links and people lost their minds that they weren’t milled by magical Swiss elves. But my point is that nobody questions Omega’s quality despite that. And despite what Bulova claims or where they are headquartered or where their watches are built, made, assembled, fabricated, or materialized, IT DOES NOT MATTER. Bulova watches could say “Made In Uranus” on the dial and it wouldn’t change my view of them. They make solid, quality watches with the right materials (stainless steel, sapphire, etc…). And they use reliable, well-known movements. And they don’t partake in any overtly or heavily deceiving practices like hyper-inflated MSRPs/RRPs or grandiose, over-indulged, and fictional company history. So, yes, “Swiss Made” is deceptive here. And it is also deceptive in the case of much, much more expensive and “prestigious” watches and brands. But IT JUST DOES NOT MATTER when looking at a reputable brand like Bulova. This even spills over into Japanese watches - just look up the J versus K debate that rages over in the Seiko universe. To me, this is all just rhetoric and hyperbole that’s right on the line of or crosses over into elitism and snobbishness.

Finally, how in the hell is an HMT more reliable than a Bulova? Are we talking about the same HMT that basically has zero quality control? There surely has to be another HMT that you’re referencing. (Don’t get me wrong, I’ve owned a few HMTs and they are very charming watches for $20. But they are no where near a $200+ watch from the likes of Seiko, Citizen, Bulova, etc…)

Here are the Bulovas that I’ve owned over the years. (I currently own the last one - the Sea King chronograph. It’s with Jay at Motor City Watchworks to have the PVD stripped and get bead blasted.)

Not my pic, but I had this one.

rvr06, D.Brown, rfortson and 1 others like this.
    "Oh, nice. So now we're quoting other people to sound deep." -alx007

That Bulova is a nice, well made watch from a reputable well known company. It would be a fine addition to your collection if you like the style and would wear it. That really should be the basis for adding any watch to your collection.
    rvr06, brandon\, gangrel and 4 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information