piguet 1185 compared with el primero

Thread: piguet 1185 compared with el primero

piguet 1185 compared with el primero

hello,
    a quick question for everyone on the overall quality / reliability for the piguet 1185 vs the el primero. plusses and minsus to each? the overall movement, not the cases or final watches that they wind up in, as obviosuly a VC is going to be better finished than a Zenith.
    thanks so much,

adam

Re: piguet 1185 compared with el primero

Both are superb movements but my choice would be Zenith.Why?I don't know,they produce more chronographs than Piguet,El Primero is among first hi beat movements....

igorfiume

v76

Both are wonderful proven movements, benchmarks when they were introduced, even.

An argument can be made in favor of either - the El Primero is a high-beat (36,000bph), column-wheel integrated chronograph with a horizontal clutch, whereas the FP1185/FP185 is a lower-beat (21,600bph) column-wheel integrated chronograph with a vertical clutch. You could probably say that the El Primero in terms of beat rate is a more suitable movement for chronograph timing functions. However, the finish and decoration is a tad better on the FP1185 (especially in Blancpain models) with the chronograph pushers having a great "feel" while operating them. Also, the chronograph design, construction, quality and the vertical clutch in the FP minimize the "jump" of the chronograph seconds hand at the start.

Both are very thin movements despite their integrated construction - the El Primero is just 6.5mm thick (PHC3019/cal. 400 guise), and it was the thinnest automatic chronograph for almost 20 years till the FP1185 was released - approximately 6.3mm thick. Despite their thinness, both are very well designed movements, accurate, robust and have stood the test of time.

Historically, one could say the El Primero is a more significant movement, but there's little to choose between them apart from the factors already mentioned.
    Last edited by v76; February 3rd, 2012 at 15:45.
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

Go for the EP. The 1185 has had a few problems with parts failure when used by some brands. I'll have to look up the tech bulletin if you need more info, but one issue was with either starting and stopping the chronograph or resetting it. The brands issued a mandate that certain parts be upgraded when the watch was in for a service even if the it was functioning fine.

Banned

Found it - check out page 4 & 5 with all the parts that need to be replaced. Only problem is this bulletin is for a 1285. I'd still want the EP though. Nothing wrong with 21,600 bph, but the EP is wonderful movement.

NUTS! The whole thing won't upload. I'll add screen shots of the relevant pages.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Last edited by Doodler; February 3rd, 2012 at 18:31.

v76

Yep, the 1285 has had well documented problems, particularly in the guise of Omega's cal. 3033. Infact, the FP1285 was developed particularly for Omega and wasn't used by any other brand.

For a nice comparison between the FP1185 and the El Primero (cal. 410 - full calendar and moonphase), read articles on them by Walt Odets (for the more technically minded).
    Collection:
    A few of this and some of the other ...

"I worked my way up from nothing to a state of extreme poverty" - Groucho Marx

Thread Information