Which pilot would you pick?
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Which pilot would you pick?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

I'm selling off a large chunk of my collection to help fund my wedding/honeymoon and I'm looking for a pilot's watch to fill somewhat of a void.. My budget is $1500, pre-owned or new. Here are a few of the options I'm looking at, of course other recommendations are appreciated:

Sinn 856 UTC or non-UTC - love the technology and pre-owned prices are not too steep, also love the large numbering

Damasko DA36 - Again the technology is impressive, especially for the price and aesthetically pleasing

Omega Dynamic Chronograph or non-chrono - Interesting designs and Omega is my favorite brand

Alpina Manufacture Startimer - Manufacture movement, but size may be an issue

Stowa Fleiger Type A - An extremely versatile design and of course the history is outstanding

It's my understanding that the Sinn, Damasko and Stowa are going to have similar grade ETA/Sellita movements. The Omega Caliber will be an ebauche movement and the Alpina features the FC manufacture movement. The difficult thing for me, as a watch enthusiast is to decide on whether to go with aesthetics over technology/grade of movement or vice versa. IMO the Alpina is gorgeous especially with the anthracite dial, but as I've stated it's size may pose an issue.

So let's hear it.. What would you pick and WHY?
    -Shaunie_007

Banned

Re: Which pilot would you pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Shaunie_007 View Post
    I'm selling off a large chunk of my collection to help fund my wedding/honeymoon and I'm looking for a pilot's watch to fill somewhat of a void.. My budget is $1500, pre-owned or new. Here are a few of the options I'm looking at, of course other recommendations are appreciated:

Sinn 856 UTC or non-UTC - love the technology and pre-owned prices are not too steep, also love the large numbering

Damasko DA36 - Again the technology is impressive, especially for the price and aesthetically pleasing

Omega Dynamic Chronograph or non-chrono - Interesting designs and Omega is my favorite brand

Alpina Manufacture Startimer - Manufacture movement, but size may be an issue

Stowa Fleiger Type A - An extremely versatile design and of course the history is outstanding

It's my understanding that the Sinn, Damasko and Stowa are going to have similar grade ETA/Sellita movements. The Omega Caliber will be an ebauche movement and the Alpina features the FC manufacture movement. The difficult thing for me, as a watch enthusiast is to decide on whether to go with aesthetics over technology/grade of movement or vice versa. IMO the Alpina is gorgeous especially with the anthracite dial, but as I've stated it's size may pose an issue.

So let's hear it.. What would you pick and WHY?

all of the watches have an ETA movement, sellita is a clone of ETA so I don't count them as separate, omega is an eta and alpina has two versions, the one in your price range is an ETA not the FC movement.

stowa has no history... it was taken over.... history is when it's the same since inception.

i would do the damasko da44 black or the new sinn 104 with arabic numerals that just came out.

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis1 View Post
    all of the watches have an ETA movement, sellita is a clone of ETA so I don't count them as separate, omega is an eta and alpina has two versions, the one in your price range is an ETA not the FC movement.

stowa has no history... it was taken over.... history is when it's the same since inception.

i would do the damasko da44 black or the new sinn 104 with arabic numerals that just came out.
    Nice! Thanks for the recommendation and clarification. The Sinn 104 with arabic numbers is excellent looking, although I am looking for a pilot with a non-dive style bezel. I have an SMP that I wear often and I'd like some variation in my collection.

Interesting about Stowa, I haven't really researched into the company and don't know much about them.. I had a friend of mine that researches watches extensively before making a purchase and picked Stowa because of their history. Now I'm thinking I'll scratch them off my list.
    -Shaunie_007

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Internals aside, I can tell you the Alpina and FC are pretty large watches due to being almost all dial, as an FYI if that is important.

Sinns, etc smaller.
    Shaunie_007 likes this.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Your price range is fairly wide, roughly US$900-1800 so it appears price isn't the big consideration - authenticity is. Another ETA 2824 based option worth considering for a classic Flieger is the Archimede Pilot. Great Ickler case, plenty of history, traditional design, roughly US$650 at current exchange rates.

Name:  7929-a7.1-4zu1_2.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  20.0 KB
    “I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.” Umberto Eco

Panerai * Rolex * Omega * Ball * AEgir * Mühle-Glashütte * Oris * Archimede * Seiko * Magrette * Padron

I personally like the last generation of the Dynamic. They are non-chronometer 2892-A2's (with a chrono module added for the chronos, of course) but still nice movements. While the style of all the Dynamics is "distinctive" I think the last one's are still attractive and will come closest to remaining so over time.
    A couple of things to look for - the original packaging will show up on these things with greater frequency than I would think. While I am not a "box and papers only" kinda guy, these are different enough to be pretty cool to own. Also, the chrono's came with different calibers and, while I cannot discern a significant difference in performance, this gives you some talking points when conversing with other Dynamic owners! (Sad maybe, but to guys around here who spend way to much time on watch websites the possession of the "missing jewel" movement can provide tons of fun.)
    Shaunie_007 likes this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Interesting about Stowa, I haven't really researched into the company and don't know much about them.. I had a friend of mine that researches watches extensively before making a purchase and picked Stowa because of their history. Now I'm thinking I'll scratch them off my list.
    I don't think you should remove them because of what one person said. It isn't like they are a zombie brand like Invicta.

Yes they were bought by someone but so where Panerai, Blancpain, Longines, VC etc so I guess we should ignore the history behind all those brands...

I doubt there are many brands who haven't been bought by someone that have been around for very long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by 93EXCivic; March 31st, 2015 at 19:55.
    slcbbrown likes this.
    Olma, Vostok, Casio, Smiths, Elektronika, Airavata, Elgin

My Mods: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f71/fin...d-1058328.html

Of the listed, I'd lean Sinn. I'm very happy with my brand new Oris Big Crown Propilot, however, which I picked up for $875 new. Seen here on a gasgasbones strap. I'd suggest giving it a look.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Shaunie_007 and Mediocre like this.

In that price range is the Ball Aviator. Very well made watches.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1539
Size:  124.5 KB
    Shaunie_007 and wschofield3 like this.

"History" is a blatant marketing ploy to get consumers to spend more than a product tangibly justifies. Track record, on the other hand, is a quality with functional value--and Stowa has a great one.

ETA: Could you imagine Ford increasing their prices 100% across the board--and when asked why--pointing to "history"? It's actually really interesting that the watch industry has been able to--and to this level, no less.
    Last edited by coop; March 31st, 2015 at 20:11.
    MM300
    Darth Tuna
    SAGA171

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information