Pitfalls of automatic watches?

Thread: Pitfalls of automatic watches?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    BenM

Pitfalls of automatic watches?

I'm looking at buying an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean but have been warned by a friend about the downsides of automatic watches. My friend owns an Omega Seamaster Professional automatic and was recently away in Iraq for six months during which he left his watch back in the UK for safe keeping. When he got back he found it wouldn't work and has had to take it in for expensive repairs where they told him the problems came from leaving it inactive for such a long time. I work in Afghanistan on rotations of two months at a time and would be leaving my watch back in the UK during this time. If I bought a Seamaster Planet Ocean am I likely to experience the same problem every time I leave it inactive for two months, needing costly repairs? Also, does anyone know if there is a titanium version of the Planet Ocean?

Re: Pitfalls of automatic watches?

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    I'm looking at buying an Omega Seamaster Planet Ocean but have been warned by a friend about the downsides of automatic watches. My friend owns an Omega Seamaster Professional automatic and was recently away in Iraq for six months during which he left his watch back in the UK for safe keeping. When he got back he found it wouldn't work and has had to take it in for expensive repairs where they told him the problems came from leaving it inactive for such a long time. I work in Afghanistan on rotations of two months at a time and would be leaving my watch back in the UK during this time. If I bought a Seamaster Planet Ocean am I likely to experience the same problem every time I leave it inactive for two months, needing costly repairs? Also, does anyone know if there is a titanium version of the Planet Ocean?
    A couple months really should not cause it to break like that. Something else was likely brewing before he left. While it's not good for them to sit for 6+ months, it wouldn't be catastrophic like that. A couple months will be alright. I would not worry. Just be gentle with it the first day or so when you return.

Ben, it depends on how old the watch is. Your friends watch may have been old enough to require service prior to being inactive. Although it is not recommended and you shouldn't do it i have picked up automatic watches that have been inactive for 20 years and they started right up and ran fine.

One thing you can do is buy a watch winder and keep you watch in it while you are gone. Of course you are buying a brand new watch it sounds like so you shouldn't have any issues that you describe though but a winder will keep the watch running just as if you wore it.

Smurfe

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by BenM View Post
    ...My friend owns an Omega Seamaster Professional automatic and was recently away in Iraq for six months during which he left his watch back in the UK for safe keeping. When he got back he found it wouldn't work and has had to take it in for expensive repairs where they told him the problems came from leaving it inactive for such a long time...
    I'd like to know who told him that, just to stay away from them...
    6 month isn't time enough to do anything like that, furthemore, if anything could have happened would be dried oils and that's solved with a regular service, not an expensive repair. The watch was stopped, how could it have got a failure of anything?
    Last edited by Paulo; February 16th, 2007 at 15:50.

Audaces Fortuna Juvat
    If I have to choose between people or watches... I choose people everytime!
    Cheers,
    Paulo

Watches sit for months at the jeweler and don't have any issues.

Too many unknown variables to say what happened with your friend's watch but the guys are right, something was awry beforehand. That shouldn't be an overarching concern if buying new. But do keep in mind that service and repairs to an SMP, much like those to an expensive sports car, can cost a bit more than those to the family wagon!

I picked up my father's Benrus automatic, which had been lying in a drawer for about 33 years. It started right up, but after a year or so stopped completely. I then had it serviced and it's been running since, although somewhat fast. Since you didn't say how old your friend's watch is it just may have needed a regular servicing.

Ricky

BenM

Thanks for the advice everyone. Thankfully that's the advice I was hoping to hear, as I do really like the PO. I would have been gutted if leaving it wasn't an option as I can't really bring it out here because of the risk of breaking or losing it. I think buying a watchwinder will be a good option then perhaps for its longevity. My preference is for the steel bracelet strap so the only question now is whether to go for the black bezel with red numerals, or the orange bezel....

Confused Re: Pitfalls of automatic watches?

I don't think the PO has been out long enough for any of them to need service.

WX1

This is some really great information. Thanks for sharing, folks!

May I ask a question? I’ve been taking my automatics in for servicing, oh, every two years or so (I’ve been collecting autos, however few I have, for about 10 yrs. now). Lemme ask (getting an opinon, hard rules too, here, heh) what’s the very latest someone should take their auto’ in for regular servicing? For one or more of their favorites? I’ve heard 1 year to make sure the seals are still intact. Three years to make sure the oils and gears are running A-OK. Methinks if you’re not going to expose your watch to too much water (i.e., swimming, showering, doing dishes with your watch on), heck, just wait three years. Take ‘em in EVERY year for full servicing?

Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information