Planet Ocean vs SBGA031/SBGA029 Size Comparison (How it wears vs actual size)

Thread: Planet Ocean vs SBGA031/SBGA029 Size Comparison (How it wears vs actual size)

Planet Ocean vs SBGA031/SBGA029 Size Comparison (How it wears vs actual size)

So i previously had a PO 2500 and that was 42mm x 14mm if I remember correctly. I am currently chasing my diver/casual grail which is the GS SBGA031. The SBGA031 on paper is too big for me at 44.2mm by 14mm. However it has curved lugs and wear small according to other owners. In my opinion the PO wears big. This leads me to believe that these 2 watches should wear similarly (size wise). I am hoping someone may have experience with two or even better, have both at the moment and can provide insight/pictures. Thanks in advance!

Re: Planet Ocean vs SBGA031/SBGA029 Size Comparison (How it wears vs actual size)

No matter which way you look at it, 44.2mm will be bigger than a 42mm even if it wears small. I'd look at SBGE001 43.5mm instead.

Re: Planet Ocean vs SBGA031/SBGA029 Size Comparison (How it wears vs actual size)

Quote Originally Posted by sea0bass View Post
    No matter which way you look at it, 44.2mm will be bigger than a 42mm even if it wears small. I'd look at SBGE001 43.5mm instead.
    Thank you for the suggestion but it looks like that model is also 44mm. Also I know that 44 is bigger than 42 no matter how it wears. However how it feels and looks is a different thing. The Ball Airborne is 42 but looks like 40 on my wrist. It is pretty much the same spec size wise compared to the PO, but the PO felt big while the Airborne feels small. If the Airborne was exactly the same but with 44 case diameter, I think it would still wear just fine for me. I'm hoping I can see one in person but not sure if that is going to be possible so I just wanted to see if anyone can chime in. Thanks!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the Ball airborne wear smaller due to the curved lugs vs PO's relatively flat case. I think the SBGA029 is mid way between the Ball and the PO in term of case shape.

Omega watches in general wear smaller than they are because their twisted lug cases extend beyond the bezel for the measurement. So the 42 PO2500 has a 40mm bezel, making it wear about as small as a 40mm submariner, and maybe a little bigger because the bezel is thinner. With that said, the GS you mentioned has a fairly thick bezel. I wouldn't be surprised if the PO2500 and SBGA031 both have the same dial size.
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Quote Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
    Omega watches in general wear smaller than they are because their twisted lug cases extend beyond the bezel for the measurement. So the 42 PO2500 has a 40mm bezel, making it wear about as small as a 40mm submariner, and maybe a little bigger because the bezel is thinner. With that said, the GS you mentioned has a fairly thick bezel. I wouldn't be surprised if the PO2500 and SBGA031 both have the same dial size.

Thanks for your input. Guess I'll have to start accepting that the SBGA031 may be out of the question. Although I have seem some pictures in the GS sub forum that suggests otherwise. There were some pictures of the 031 on a 6 inch wrist that looks pretty good in my opinion. That's what got me going on this watch again. I've lusted over it in the past but put it aside due to the case diameter. This may be one of those watches I have to see in person to make a decision. I'll try to see if that's possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sea0bass View Post
    I think the Ball airborne wear smaller due to the curved lugs vs PO's relatively flat case. I think the SBGA029 is mid way between the Ball and the PO in term of case shape.
    Yes, true to all of the stated. I'm hoping that somewhat curved lugs will help with how it wears. If it wears like a 42 then it's a done deal and I'm getting one sooner or later. If it still wears close to 44 then I don't think I can pull it off. It would be 10 times easier if they just made a spring drive diver in the 42 size range.... =\

Thread Information