Is playing golf bad for a self-winder?

Thread: Is playing golf bad for a self-winder?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Is playing golf bad for a self-winder?

Just wondered if the golf swing had a detrimental effect on an automatic?
    ....Or any other movements?

Thanks in advance.

Larry

Banned

Re: Is playing golf bad for a self-winder?

I dont know for a fact if it is bad or not, however I would make the suggestion that you should probably just take it off to possibly avoid any potential problems. I never play golf with a watch on, not because of any damage it may do, but because it bothers my wrist to have it on during the golf swing. Just a suggestion thats all.

I doubt there's any problem. Autos come with some degree of shock resistant. Unless there's a big impact,the watch should be fine. When swinging a golf club in a smooth arc,there's no impact;all it does is maybe spin the rotor quickly. No concern of it overwinding also since there's a safety feature to prevent overwinding. The parts are also screwed down securely in the movement so should survive swinging motion well. Unless a dust particle somehow finds its way into the movement n your swing caused it to get lodged in 1 of the gears,u needn't worry n swing away!

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I was always told the reason not to wear a mechanical watch when playing golf was to do with the forces involved should you miss a shot and hit the ground as appose to the ball all that vibration traveling up your club into your arm through your watch and rattling your fillings out of your head. but maybe I just can't play golf very well.
    Last edited by balla; March 11th, 2009 at 19:22.

Don't wear it. There has been much discusion of this before.

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Don't wear it. There has been much discusion of this before.
    So don't wear an auto watch at ALL? I don't think I could do that. As a general rule, I'm not wearing anything expensive during physical activity (even the debatable amount associated with golf). I mean, I'm not going to wear my Rado while on the links, but if my Amphibia daily wearer can't handle a measly golf swing, it ain't the watch for me. If it breaks, I'll toss it and get another.

stuffler,mike

We had some discussion on that issue. Here's a link (containing three more links):
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?p=267388

BTW: Welcome to Watchuseek.

Check out all the tour pros that play with an automatic watch on. Granted they are being paid to represent the company. Phil Mickleson, Ernie Els, Sergio Garcia...
    DBis
    The Past:
    Steinhart Ocean 1, Zeno Big Numeral Pilot, Sieko 6309 7040 Soxa, Tissot Seastar, Luminox EVO, Chase Durer 7750 Chrono, dlb Custom Pilot, dlb Custom Pespi Diver, Boschett Cave Dweller 1, Hamilton Khaki Navy, Deep Blue Ocean Diver 500, Swiss Military Chrono Diver, dlb Custom Diver (PO), dlb Custom Snowflake Diver, dlb Custom Pilot #2, Black Monster Mod, dlb Custom Cushion Yellow, Seiko Blumo, Bulova 7750 Square Dress, Victronox Deep Sea Custom, Steinhart Ocean 44 GMT "COKE",

The Present:
    Navitimer Silver/Silver Croc Strap, Hamilton Cushion Dress, Delma Blue Dress Diver, Seiko “Blumo” Pepsi

The Future:
    Doxa, ???

I use to take my watch off to golf, but lately have been forgetting, as long as I have a glove on the watch sits against it and is padded by it so that it doesn't affect my wrist flexing for the swing. That said, after golfing three days in a row last week the springbar had so much pressure that one bend and broke... so my recommendation is not to with any watch.

I guess it just depends on how good you are at golf
    An automatic will take a lot more beating when you take 100 strokes a round vs. 68.
    I don't wear one when I play....that should tell you something about my game.
    J/K
    In the Box:

Vintage Patek Phillippe Vintage Concord Vintage Omega Vintage Movado Sub-Sea Kingmatic
    Rolex SS Submariner Date Omega SMP Bond Black Tag Heuer 2000 Series CE1120
    Ball Engineer Master II Classic BE Ball Engineer Hydrocarbon Titanium "Mad Cow"
    Ball Fireman Storm Chaser Pro Ball BMW Classic BK Ball Engineer III Legend
    Rado Ceramica Multifunction Rado Sintra Jubile' Movado Eliro Accutron VX200
    Bathys 100 Fathoms Oceanus 5 Motor OCW-600 Citizen Skyhawk Titanuim
    Dievas Divergraph Pro Blue Seiko Orange,Black"Monster" Purple "Night Monster"
    Orient Orange,Yellow,Blue,Black"Mako" Orient Power Reserve CEX0R001W
    Swiss Legend Atlantis 1000m Sector 200 Pulsar PF3 Series Chrono Fossil Chrono CH-2464
    Theorema "Monte Carlo" Skeleton Alpha Omega "Bond" Homage
    Casio G-Shock DW5600C Rare Japan V case back

....and still growing with a lot of Ball's

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information