PLEASE HELP
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OvrSteer

Thread: PLEASE HELP

PLEASE HELP

What do you think is the better choice colorwise. I’m thinking of getting one black strap and one brown. I don’t know if i should get a gold case or silver case.

These are the black leather strap ones.

https://www.thomas-earnshaw.com/prod...3-investigator

https://www.thomas-earnshaw.com/prod...1-investigator

These are the brown leather strap ones.

https://www.thomas-earnshaw.com/coll...5-investigator

https://www.thomas-earnshaw.com/coll...2-investigator

Thank you for the help guys. Really appreciate it.

Re: PLEASE HELP

Stainless steel is likely to be more durable than gold plate. Colour is purely personal preference but I prefer the stainless steel & black dial.

My personal preference? The silver case. All day every day. I’m not a fan of gold plating to begin with, and a fairly large (43mm) gold case combined with those rivets on the strap is a bit much. Plus, I think those rivets are gonna take a beating, so the stainless will hold up better. Just definitely not feelin’ the gold case, markers, printing and rivets combined...it’s got a full-blown black and yellow vibe that is difficult to catagorize, but....no.

Dial color would be a be a tough choice for me. I didn’t look to see if the stainless case was offered with the silver/white dial? I think the black dial/stainless on black strap works, however...I’m not sure the brown strap hits the right note there. A white dial/stainless steel execution would dress up on a black strap and pull casual duty on brown, so that would be my choice...if a white dial with steel markers and case is available.

My final thought is this; if you’re dead-set on the watch, maybe consider some after-market straps. I gotta be honest, the rivets throw me a bit on a croc-style strap. There’s some conflict there to my eye. You’ve got a vintage, pilot vibe rivet on a traditional dress strap...and it’s too much. I think a nice after-market, traditional black “croc” strap would tone things down for dressier occasions, and a casual brown (non-riveted) strap, perhaps vintage-inspired with stitching...would pair well on the weekends.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Black/stainless. Avoid gold for "tool" style watches, it just looks silly. I'm with Zeroedout on the strap but remember you can always always swap it out. Don't miss out on a specific watch because the specific strap isn't quite right. Just buy the watch and change it out.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

Quote Originally Posted by OvrSteer View Post
    Black/stainless. Avoid gold for "tool" style watches, it just looks silly. I'm with Zeroedout on the strap but remember you can always always swap it out. Don't miss out on a specific watch because the specific strap isn't quite right. Just buy the watch and change it out.
    Couldn't agree more regarding avoiding gold on a tool watch at all costs.It just doesn't look good.

Thank you guys for your reply. It helped me think about it even more on how to get the watch that i really want. Do you think the black dial/gold case/black strap is appropriate for my age? I’m 24 btw. I’ve heard that young people wearing watches with gold or gold accents are being called out for no apparent reason. I’m new to the watch scene. I’ve only had a cintage gold casio before and an all steel fossil blue. Went from collecting sneakers to collecting watches and dress shoes.

It's perfectly *appropriate* but Gold tone color has a lot of baggage. I think it gets lumped into mental categories of "rapper, poseur and grandpa" by some people, but you're 24. You might at some point want to match it against different stuff, and that's why most of us have moved into owning more than one... often many more than one watch. Goldtone is not versatile in terms of matching as much stuff, it does not last very well-- scratches off easily-- but you're not spending a huge fortune. To my mind, I'm not sure an Earnshaw is the best *value* but if it represents your personality, go for it. That's the big thing. There are hundreds of choices and there's a risk of decision paralysis if you don't get advice from people who have closely aligned tastes to yours.
    Zeroedout likes this.
    Choose a job you love, and you'll never work a day in your life because that field isn't hiring.

So long as you are aware that the gold will be a good bit less durable than the steel I’d go for the silver/black strap and the gold/brown strap.

Thread Information