Please help identify this watch

Thread: Please help identify this watch

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help identify this watch

Hello:

I'm new to this forum and hope that I'm not breaking any rules. My apologies if I am...

I inherited a watch but I know very little about it. On the front, it says Vacheron Constantin. On the back, it says 18K, 750, 537421. I googled it but got NOTHING.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  174.9 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  183.6 KB

I am particularly interested in knowing the following.

Model name.
    What was the original bracelet/strap and where can I get one. ( I have reasons to believe the current strap is not original to the watch.)
    Possibly that the watch was made in China.
    Approximate worth, if it was not made in China.

I have rather large arms and the current strap does not work for me. I'm not sure that the watch would work for me even with a correct strap, but I'm not sure what to do with the watch, since I know almost nothing about it...

Any input about the watch would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks

Jay

Re: Please help identify this watch

Checkout rule #16.

Jay,

What our learned and esteemed colleague Watchbreath is trying to say in so many words is, we cannot and will not provide any estimated values on watches, and refer you instead to privately consult with a reputable watchmaker, auction house, or other authority for such information. As far as your other questions that basically ask "what is this thing?", those are okay; we just can't hang a price on anything here.

Having said that, I don't have a clue about that model. Vacheron Constantin is a genuine brand name, but there is nothing in their current catalog that even remotely looks like your watch. Assuming it's genuine (which may or may not be the case), it would be either a very old design or a custom-built piece. You may want to try cross-posting your request in the Vintage forum (minus the part about asking what it's worth, of course).

Mike
    Last edited by mjbernier; January 10th, 2014 at 02:11.

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Watchbreath View Post
    Checkout rule #16.
    What about this rule and his question concerned you?He is asking for an opinion. Sorry OP I don't have any info for you on this watch.
    #16"While members may provide their opinions as to the value of a watch, these are purely their opinions and do not represent WUS. If you need an value for insurance purposes, contact a qualified watchmaker who is certified for this activity (this varies from country to country), an auction house or a reputable watch dealer. "
    Nixon All Black Rocker
    Nixon Super Rover SS
    Casio Protrek PRW2500T
    Casio G-shock frogman lightning yellow
    Tag Heuer Aquaracer Chronotimer CAF1010-0
    Seiko SKX007k
    Tudor Pelagos
    Omega PO 232.30.46.51.01.003
    Omega SMP Quartz 2541-80

If it's a real gold VC, the value will follow.

Until then, I think the question is is it genuine? If so, what kind-customized, pieced together, solid gold case, pressed?

I think a way to answer this is how did you get it, who did you inherit it from. An investment banker is more likely to have owned an extravagant watch like that than a deli worker (my former job). Was it in a coffee can in a basement, or safe deposit box?

This can potentially imply a lot in the absence of any other info, for a start. Seen plenty of people find fake, whatevers, stored in careless ways, because they were worthless. Also remember someone having come across a nice vintage Rolex Submariner too.

But I have no idea about that particular model at the top. Think it looks a little gaudy at first glance, and a cheap strap, but 50/50 on authenticity.
    Last edited by Fordham-NY; January 10th, 2014 at 02:44.
    ..............Rolex
    Omega
    Breitling TAG Heuer
    Seiko Citizen G-Shock

Quote Originally Posted by mjbernier View Post
    Jay,

...we cannot and will not provide any estimated values on watches, and refer you instead to privately consult with a reputable watchmaker, auction house, or other authority for such information...

Having said that, I don't have a clue about that model. Vacheron Constantin is a genuine brand name, but there is nothing in their current catalog that even remotely looks like your watch. Assuming it's genuine (which may or may not be the case), it would be either a very old design or a custom-built piece. You may want to try cross-posting your request in the Vintage forum (minus the part about asking what it's worth, of course

Mike

Dear Mike:

Thanks for your input. The only reason that I asked about approximate valuation had to do with the fact that I didn't know what the heck it is. I would hate to go seek a professional advice (watchmaker, auction house) just to learn that the watch is worth $80. The valuation was not for insurance purposes or anything of the sort.

Thanks.

Jay

My dad tried to give me the watch a few years ago, before he passed. I didn't take it at the time because I was more concerned with his imminent demise from cancer. I also thought (and still do) think that it's too gaudy, to put it kindly. He also left a Rolex Day-Date, which has been verified as genuine. Just can't seem to find out anything about this one.

Thanks, Jay

Jay,

No harm and no foul here :)

My condolences on losing your father; I lost mine to cancer back in '88.

Actually, there is no harm in seeking a professional's advice on the watch. Most will tell you they would prefer to do that for someone who isn't interested in selling as they would for those who do; that way they don't have to endure the wrath of the owner if the watch turns out to be a fake or of much lesser value than they were led to believe (think about some of the reactions that antique owners have on "Antiques Roadshow" when the expert appraisers tell them something they thought was worth thousands of dollars is actually worthless).

I'm pretty sure that's also why the rule is in place on the forums; my guess is there were incidents in the past where members would offer their opinions on value, then end up getting into a big and ugly argument with the owner when they do try to sell the watch and find out it's not worth as much.

Oh, and by the way - welcome to WUS!

Mike

The Collection: Too many to list
    The Wish List: Still too many to list
    The Grail: Bremont ALT1-P (blue dial)

Dear Mike.

Thanks. Now I guess I should look for an expert in the San Fran area.

Jay

We discourage any valuation activity online from photos because it will be wildly inaccurate unless the watch is at hand to check how it runs. Your best bet is to take it to a good watch shop and have them look it over.

There are fathers who do not love their children; there is no grandfather who does not adore his grandson. ~ Victor Hugo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information