Please help me celebrate, recommend me a watch!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Please help me celebrate, recommend me a watch!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Please help me celebrate, recommend me a watch!

Hello, I'm a brand new member and I've known for years that before you make a decision, you should always consult the experts. This seems like the place! I hope I'm not insulting the membership with a request thread but I've spent some time researching online (and searching through the forums) and haven't found my answer, so apologies beforehand:

I got a new job in a new place and I'd like to celebrate it with a new watch, with a self winding automatic, skeletonized movement. Most of the threads I found in my search were looking for cheap watches, whereas my budget is about $5,000. I'd like this watch to last the rest of my life, and be able to give it to my kids. So it has to have quality glass, too, so it won't get scratched. Most cheap watches use mineral or acrylic, it seems. To give an idea about style preference, here's a Maurice Lacroix MP7128 that looks ideal:

It's almost perfect except it's not an automatic and it's ten thousand dollars over budget. But you can see I like subdued colors and military styling (I'm a diver.) It also has a chronograph, which is really nice but not a dealbreaker. I'm afraid I just don't have the background knowledge to make an informed decision and this isn't a small purchase.

Any help would be much appreciated and I look forward to being a member of the forums!

Re: Please help me celebrate, recommend me a watch!

One major problem, contrast is very poor.
    neurogenesis likes this.

:)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

but since it looks like you're looking for a chronograph, check out Hamilton's jazzmaster chrono:
    Amazon.com: Hamilton Watches-Hamilton Jazzmaster Skeleton LIMITED EDITION H32676791: Watches
    :)

14060m, 16200, Pam48, AT8500, El Primero 1969, Speedy FOIS, Antea KS, Orion Minimatik, ST8000SA Tourbillon, Zeppelin 7618-1

want: ALS Saxonia, PP Nautilus,

Quote Originally Posted by ed21x View Post
    I spent some time looking at the Oris, and decided its style was a little too delicate. I looked up the "Auguste Galan Moscato Skeleton Chronograph" in your signature, that's a very beautiful watch!

If you really want a lifetime watch, I don't favor the Maurice Lecroix. As someone noted, it's hard to read, plus it screams "look at me," and I think, over time, you may tire of it on your wrist. I feel the same way about loud skeletons, blingers, etc., and at some point you come to appreciate the subtle beauty of more sophisticated watches.

The Oris is quite nice. Also, if you can spend a little bit more, I think you can acquire a superior timepiece, esp. to pass along to your children. Consider the Zenith Chronomaster Open Grande, a really nice watch with a better movement. Really nice:

Name:  HDbtx.jpg
Views: 601
Size:  41.7 KB

Or take a look at the Glashutte Original Panoinverse XXL, a truly beautiful piece. Amazing craftsmanship.

Name:  5v1Pi.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  163.6 KBName:  jrmoO.jpg
Views: 550
Size:  76.2 KB

Another nice one, albeit a bit more pricey, is the JLC AMVOX 2 Chrono. These JLCs look awesome in person:

Name:  ncbhq.jpg
Views: 551
Size:  50.0 KBName:  EpnNo.jpg
Views: 557
Size:  55.0 KB

So I'm just suggesting you take a look around and consider alternatives. Because at your pricepoint, if you wait a little longer and bump it up, you can get, in my opinion, a lot more watch with a significantly improved and attractive face, one that works at the office or at formal events, a timeless watch. Which, frankly, I don't see with the Lecroix, because it's too difficult to read, too loud, and I dare say a bit garish (my personal opinion).

Compare, for example, the subtle asthetics and craftsmanship of the Glashutte with the Lecroix, the beauty of it, or even the Zenith, and just consider how these watches are the better lifetime investment, one that your children would be proud to wear, and for not a ton more from where you are starting.

So, just something to think about, esp. if this is going to be a major purchase for you.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Given your requirements, I think it may be a little tough to find what you are looking for. For a skeleton, I think a $5k budget is going to be a little awkward - most are going to come in either way above that price point, or be way below that price, and below your standards as well. I am partial to the Oris - but I know you don't like it. A military, and diver style skeleton are a tough find since skeletons are indeed supposed to be a delicate, elegant look. So basically your looking for the exception, not the rule. I want to recommend the Bulova Accutron Kirkwood models to you, but they are more on the dress watch side. I will also agree with the previous poster about the Hamilton Jazzmaster Skeleton, although that's a hell of alot of dough to spend on a Hammy imo. I would also like you to take into consideration as a substitute for a skeleton, an open heart watch. I advise this because it will provide the visual of the movement, plus many more options.

Quote Originally Posted by Metals View Post
    Consider the Zenith Chronomaster Open Grande, a really nice watch with a better movement. Really nice:

I really, really like the Zenith. I very much appreciate the feedback - I set my budget because I thought it'd be somewhere I could get a decent watch with a nice movement, without getting some jewel-studded monstrosity. I just wish the dial was darker.

EDIT: Lo and behold, it's a series. I'll have to consider this very seriously. Thank you!

Last edited by Locobo; November 27th, 2011 at 04:15.

The Zenith is an excellent suggestion- if you are new to watches and want something with high quality, great movement, and horological significance, the El Primero is right up there, especially at its price. I tend to veer away from skeletonized watch dials, especially as a "first watch," because the designs are a little flashy and might come out of favor with time. So, I would recommend a different El Primero model- there are several to choose from all boasting one of the all-time great chronograph movements.

Now, if you have your heart set on skeletonization combined with great durability and "military syling" I would really recommend the SpidoSpeed from Line Werdelin. What I said about "too flashy" doesn't really hold with these watches because I have a very strong feeling that the jaw-dropping case design will become an all-time classic. Robert-Jan Broer from our very own WatchUSeek has posted some beautiful pictures of these truly awe-inspiring watches here: https://forums.watchuseek.com/f462/li...os-521518.html

Name:  lw1.jpg
Views: 518
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  lw4.jpg
Views: 523
Size:  55.0 KB

Unique? Exclusive? High quality? Strong candidate for future design icon? Check.

Here's what the Linde Werdelin won't give you: established history/ provenance. It is a fairy recent brand but nevertheless quite exciting. Furthermore, they do not make their own movements. Because of this fact, their watches can (understandably) be considered to be very overpriced. Anyways, that's my suggestion. But if you get the Zenith El Primero, you still made the right choice :D

just a thought ~ if I want to pass a watch on to the next generation (and the generation after that), I just think it would be best if the watch kinda represent who I am as well

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information