Please help me choose!
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Please help me choose!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Nottingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom

Please help me choose!

Hi all, firstly thank you for reading this, I'm a newbie and a bit of a watch novice.

the situation I have is this......I had a tag heuer that was stolen and have now got a settlement through the insurance of £1250 (GBP) this however is to be spent in vouchers at a designated jewellers (Ernest Jones in the UK)

ive looked online and there's a few watches that I like (albeit all different styles) but my question is what's the best bang for my buck from the following.

Fortis Spacematic LE (NATO Strap) £999.

Hamilton Ventura £750

Hamilton Below Zero 1000m black £1195

Longines Hydro Conquest £790

Hamilton Jazz Master (with the stainless steel bracelet) £995

Maurice Lacroix Miros Sport Chrono £650

Ball Master Engineer (rubber strap) £1200

I know that's its a massive variety, but I'm just wanting to know who's the best make, who holds price well, and build quality etc.

i know that I would be able to get these loads cheaper second hand or at a AD but I don't have that luxury because of the vouchers.

i love all the above, I'm just wanting some knowledgable input from you guys

feel free to look on Ernest jones website as well to give me more recommendations :-D

liam

Re: Please help me choose!

Hi Liam you have some very interesting watches on your list. I think you will find there is no shortage of people willing to help you on this forum, but may I suggest to get the widest response you should post pictures of as many of these as you can. We love watches, but not all of us are familar with every single watch on your list. If you need help with attaching pics, check out the forum FAQ
    Last edited by Watchnik; June 23rd, 2013 at 14:17.
    ScottShanks likes this.

Im on the iPad so I can't

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Hi Liam, I was going to suggest Hamilton as providing the best bang for buck but EJ don't seem to stock them. (It might just be me that can't see them on the website). They do, however, carry the Longines range which are excellent watches AND the Hydro Conquest is on your list.

Hi Liam
    I can tell you that Hamilton BelowZero is an excellent watch.
    I can also tell you that you can buy it trough this forum for around 600-750 $
    I had below zero 1000 m and loved it
    You are mentioned black which is the one with exposed back where you can see the movement.
    One was recently selling here for around 700.
    Other watches you mentioned are very different so I'm not sure what's your preference.
    Can you be little more specific in your taste?

Thanks

Roberto
    Attached Images Attached Images

Inactive

Quote Originally Posted by Liam Mango Jackson View Post
    got a settlement through the insurance of £1250 (GBP) this however is to be spent in vouchers at a designated jewellers (Ernest Jones in the UK)
    I would make the best of a pig in a poke you're in and:

1: Find a watch there that's already in the sale (that you like obviously) in excess of £1250 and/or talk them into some discount before mentioning the vouchers and
    2: Double check elsewhere to make sure it wasn't overpriced in EJ to start with and

Have you looked at the Ball Fireman Racer? It is probably my favorite (and the most modern) of their lineup (at least excluding the divers).

Should be able to get it on the bracelet for under your max.
    Shut your mouth and wear your *Alpinist.
    *"Your Alpinist" is metaphorical and in truth refers to your most versatile watch.

Drew

Hey, I've been to EJ today and to blow everything out I've seen the Hamilton x wind Chrono. What's your thoughts on this???

There was an ebel in the sale reduced from £2000 to £1200 but I think I would be buying it as a bargain and not as a watch that I like.

i tried the Hamilton below zero on and it looked a bit faddy and toy like IMHO. It was nice and it suites its purpose but I think that it's not for me.

the longines IMHO also look a bit cheap compared to others at a lower price (I.e the dial does not look quality etc)

I didn't get to see the ball as they didn't stock, and the Maurice lacroix was nothing special IMHO unless your going £1900+

I m still struck on the fortis but they didn't have it in stock either.

so I'm thinking now.......x wind or fortis OR should I take a punt on the ebel??

AND to throw a spanner in the works......there's a nice hamilton karki with the orange numbers that's only £500!!!!! Down from £745! Decisions decisions! Please help!!!

You could take a look at the Hamilton Pan Europ. It has a lot of wrist presence and should be within your price range.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information