Please help me decide on my first watch!

Thread: Please help me decide on my first watch!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Please help me decide on my first watch!

Hi all,

As you can see, I'm new to this forum, and the world of watches as a whole. My dad is buying me my first watch for my 21st and these are what I'm deciding between.

Tissot

Maestro, JazzMaster, American Classic, Gents Collection, Hamilton Watch

TAG Heuer swiss watches

I really like all 3 of them. My first choice would be the Tissot, but my dad wants me to get the Tag. My preference is mostly based on the look of the watch, while my dad's is probably for the brand. I'd just like to know what you experienced watch enthusiasts think in terms of the technical aspects of the 3 watches. To my knowledge they are all roughly similar in price. The Tag uses a quartz movement while the other 2 are mechanical and I like the idea of having a mechanical watch more, just because. Please share your thoughts guys! All input will be appreciated (:

Re: Please help me decide on my first watch!

For that sort of money, mechanical over quartz would be my pick as well. You cant go wrong with Tissot or Hamilton, you should ideally find an AD and try them out in person to get a better idea on which one you prefer.

On looks alone, the Tissot is the pick of that litter - very, very nice watch.

If you're looking to convince your dad of your choice, point out to him that its a very solid and respected brand making a good mechanical watch that will last you a life time, if serviced every 4 years or so, and that you could wear it anywhere with anything.

I'll bet if you just tell him how much you like it you won't have to go into it so much though.

The tag is a fine watch too - but very sporty looking. It would not match as well as the Tissot with formal/semi formal cloths (like suit and tie, or even blazer/sports coat outfit). You could wear the Tissot anywhere with any outfit (not with your swim suit though - 5 ATM water resistant)

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'd go with the hamilton for sure, though the Tag is very nice.
    Radiohead

By what you like, but in my opinion a TAG quartz is not worth the money. I have nothing against quartz, but I don't think the quartz movements TAG uses (F06.111) are very good. For a step up into a better quality quartz, look at some of Omega's offerings. They use a better quartz movement, and are just better quality overall.

Or wander off the map and go Grand Seiko. You'll get something REALLLLY nice, for a good price. But they may be too conservative for you age.
    Caraptor

The man who buys a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people and the man who avoids a particular watch to feel smarter or better than other people are brothers.

It's probably a good idea to decide what occasions you are planning to wear this for, and try all 3 of them on if you can. Of those, I like the look of the Hamilton the best, though it was a little thicker than I would have liked when I tried it on. Remember that on one hand even the Tissot and the Hamilton will require some maintenance in a few years, but on the other hand, mechanicals can be much more interesting to own.

That particular Hamilton is a gourgeous watch, and IMO it goes well with a variety of outfits and situations.
    For a sportier looking watch, I would go with the Tag, but heed the warnings others have mentioned in here.
    Tissot is a good brand, but I find the look of this particular chrono uninspiring.
    Last edited by 3th3r; February 16th, 2012 at 02:34.
    ------------------------------
    Good Dealings: editor9, iam7head, MrH42, curt941, nin9919, twjohnso, gr8sw, ryasja2009, Twistoff, JordanR, chili16, Captain Beefheart, litbruin, silveradosilver, iceman66, jatherly, husonfirst, Timecat, dothedo, PeekPoke, ingmar

You should have a look at Oris, MeisterSinger & Schaumburg Conceptum

Get this in either leather strap or stainless steel bracelet.

Name:  449px-TissotLeLocle.jpg
Views: 689
Size:  64.8 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Coler View Post
    On looks alone, the Tissot is the pick of that litter - very, very nice watch.

If you're looking to convince your dad of your choice, point out to him that its a very solid and respected brand making a good mechanical watch that will last you a life time, if serviced every 4 years or so, and that you could wear it anywhere with anything.

I'll bet if you just tell him how much you like it you won't have to go into it so much though.

The tag is a fine watch too - but very sporty looking. It would not match as well as the Tissot with formal/semi formal cloths (like suit and tie, or even blazer/sports coat outfit). You could wear the Tissot anywhere with any outfit (not with your swim suit though - 5 ATM water resistant)
    in my country any watches with bracelet is fine with suit and tie. Nowadays not many people care about what type of watch you ware anymore.

For the watch I would go with Tag or Hamilton.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information