Please Help, Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic Chronograph Or ORIS ProDiver Date ?

Thread: Please Help, Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic Chronograph Or ORIS ProDiver Date ?

Please Help, Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic Chronograph Or ORIS ProDiver Date ?

Dear All,
    I am looking for an automatic swiss watch (Will be my first Automatic watch)in range of 1000-1500$, i prefer the 45mm+ case watches, also i need to use rubber or SS bracelet on the case.
    I comparing between Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic Chronograph and Oris proDiver date 01 733 7646 7154-07 8 26 71PEB Titanium,
    The Chronograph is not really important, i am really interested in the best quality and better movement (Considering Tissot is half the price ) , SS Vs Titanium Pros and Cons?
    Please help me to choose my first automatic watch and any other suggestion of course will be welcomed.
    Thanks

Re: Please Help, Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic Chronograph Or ORIS ProDiver Date ?

It's hard to compare at such different prices but I don't like Tissot's dive watches (their dress watches are lovely) but I'm not you. The Oris is alright but that Bezel is massive!

Have you tried either on? You'll find that a 43mm watch with a thinner bezel wears the same size. As for ti vs ss..I've owned both and have no real feelings about either - ti is lighter...

Lots of other good value microbrew divers out there - Halios, Helson, Boschette...

Re: Please Help, Tissot Seastar 1000 Automatic Chronograph Or ORIS ProDiver Date ?

I'd get the Oris. I owned the 3 hand version of the Tissot Seastar briefly in the past, and it had quality control issues with the bezel (lume dot discoloration, pvd discoloration). Tissot wasn't able to fix the problem (every replacement bezel they sent had the same issue), so I got a refund, and I've seen many others on the forum post of similar issues.

Have heard nothing but nice things about the Oris divers, although the proprietary lugs are a bit of a drawback.
    Last edited by Seiko_Licker; November 1st, 2013 at 20:48.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by seoulseeker View Post
    I'd get the Oris. I owned the 3 hand version of the Tissot Seastar briefly in the past, and it had quality control issues with the bezel (lume dot discoloration, pvd discoloration). Tissot either wasn't able to fix the problem (every replacement bezel they sent had the same issue), so I got a refund, and I've seen many others on the forum post of similar issues.

Have heard nothing but nice things about the Oris divers, although the proprietary lugs are a bit of a drawback.
    +1 about the lugs, but Oris divers are sharp. Good value for the money too.

-T

Go for the Oris. It's a much better watch and the SW200-1 movement is also (IMO) better than the C01.211 in the Seastar. The Seastar is also a heavy beast compared to the PDD and is 48mm to the 49mm of the Oris. The thing about the 49mm Oris is that it is more like a 46mm in size and as it's titanium it is a lot lighter than the Seastar. A word of caution about the grade 2 Ti that Oris uses - compared to steel it's a real scratch magnet and I mean magnet so consider the rubber strap option on the Oris as it's a lot tougher and really suits the watch.

As a brand vs brand thing, I prefer Oris to Tissot. But to be honest, of those two watches, I like the look of the Tissot better. The bezel on the Oris is too big for my tastes. The Tissot on the other hand, has a lot of Planet Ocean going on in its design.

I would pick the Oris by a good margin. Don't buy either of these sight unseen, neither are "average" sized watches and sticky is right the Oris wears smaller than the Tissot.

I'd go with the Oris
    oris divers and Aquis models are great watches for the money.
    another option: longines hydro conquest on rubber
    Seiko 5 Sports SRPB31k1
    Tag Heuer AquaRacer 500m Calibre 16

Baume et Mercier Hampton Chrono
    Rolex Oyster Datejust S/S
    Seiko 5 SNZF29
    Alpina Extreme Avalanche - Manual
    Raymond Weil Parsifal

IMO, Oris is a better quality watch by a bunch, but some of their divers can be tanks. Geoff's advice about having tried them on or looked at them in person is something to consider prior to your purchase if possible.
    "Either he's dead or my watch has stopped"
    Groucho Marx

"The only reason for time is so that everything does not happen at once..."
    Albert Einstein

Thread Information