WatchUSeek Watch Forums banner

Pocket Watch Case/Movement Replacement

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  Tsujigiri 
#1 ·
I am new to this forum and to watch collecting. I hope my questions aren't too ridiculous. There are a ton of used/antique pocket watch cases for sale online. Likewise, lots of antique movements are also for sale. Is it acceptable practice in the watch collecting or repair world to put these cases and movements together? If you have a good movement in an awful case, or visa versa, can you replace the needed movement/case with a used one?

I appreciate any and all guidance.

Ray

#5 ·
It is acceptable practice if you like the result and are willing to use the resulting watch. And yes cases and movements have been exchanged as one or the other wears out. Not at all unusual to see a married case and movement.

However, because some collectors will undervalue a watch like that it may be difficult to sell. There are however exceptions. Companies like RGM have built a business around recasing old pocket watch movements in new wrist watch cases. The resulting watches from RGM are beautiful and in demand.

#6 ·
Thank you Mike. I have bought a few pocket watches online and really don't know if the cases and movements were originally together? Most look like they came from the same era but I'm still not 100%. Is there a definitive way to know? I am using these watches to learn how to repair them. I do not want to fix, buy, or sell a watch that is considered a "franken watch." Again I appreciate any advice.

Ray

#10 ·
Thank you everyone for your responses. It looks like I'll be okay as long as I stick with old (80-100+ years) movements and cases. So I do not need to be concerned about buying a franken watch if the movement is from 1916 and the case is from the same time frame. I'd be okay shopping for a case online to match a 100-year old movement. Please let me know if I have this right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.