pocket watch newb: girlfriend gift suggestions
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By sleepyhead123
  • 1 Post By John MS
  • 1 Post By sleepyhead123
  • 2 Post By John MS

Thread: pocket watch newb: girlfriend gift suggestions

pocket watch newb: girlfriend gift suggestions

Hi! My ladyfriend gave me a pocketwatch for my birthday and I reeeeaaally enjoy it. I don't think it's anything fancy, but I don't care. I enjoy wearing something daily that she gave me, and keeping time with just gears / a spring is fascinating.

Her birthday is coming up in a month and I'd like to get her a pocket watch too; I'd like to find a used watch on ebay that is solid but not fancy, maybe in the $50-$80 range. Any ideas for models / brands to look out for? It wouldn't need to be a specifically woman's watch.

Thanks! =)

Re: pocket watch newb: girlfriend gift suggestions

A pocket watch at that price, you're probably best searching amazon for something. It's probably going to be a cheap movement, most likely Chinese or Japanese. Almost definitely Chinese made watch. I'm not sure you would find a good used watch at that price; the price of servicing a used watch is going to be significantly more than the price of the watch, so you're best off buying new.

Wrist watch would offer more options.
    gloves12 likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

What did she get you? That would give us a better sense for an appropriate watch.
    gloves12 likes this.

Gotcha! I guess I was looking at this one, which is a past auction, and thinking I liked how it looked. Oh, can't post links. "Elgin Pocket Watch 17 Jewel Cal Case Open Faced", scratched up but working, for $88. I suppose perhaps that's a fake, I have no idea what I'm talking about =) The ebay listing ID is 112775567710.

Doesn't need to be equivalent to what she got me, just something that will be sturdy. Thanks! Vauge question sorry, and by the sounds of it I may need to save up some more, and that's fine too =). Cheers.

Well looks like it's sold for 88 dollars. I suspect the listing is not completely forthcoming. A good condition gold filled Elgin would be worth a lot more than that. Likely the seller has no clue or more likely (given the seller mentioned a watch shop has seen the watch) the listing is not completely forthcoming.

To get an idea of how much these watches are really worth, just google Elgin pocket watch and look at what pops up to get an idea.
    gloves12 likes this.
    Current Collection - | Ball | Bvlgari | Casio | Citizen | Credor | Girard-Perregaux | Graham | Gübelin | Hamilton | Jaeger-LeCoultre | Longines | Minase | Mühle Glashütte | NOMOS Glashütte | Omega | Rolex | Seiko | Swatch | Undone | Vacheron Constantin | Victorinox Swiss Army |
    Mulling Over - | Minase Horizon | Reservoir |
    On deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 8 Dark Side of the Moon |
    Waiting to be on deck - | Omega Speedmaster Apollo 11 50th Anniversary |

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyhead123 View Post
    Well looks like it's sold for 88 dollars. I suspect the listing is not completely forthcoming. A good condition gold filled Elgin would be worth a lot more than that. Likely the seller has no clue or more likely (given the seller mentioned a watch shop has seen the watch) the listing is not completely forthcoming.

To get an idea of how much these watches are really worth, just google Elgin pocket watch and look at what pops up to get an idea.
    I was seeing that, yup =) I'd definitely believe that the lister is leaving something out.

I've seen the $10 watches and the $2000 watches; guess I was just hoping there was something more in the middle that is well-thought-of, but maybe I'm out of luck =). Even a $300 watch that I might find used for $250 some day would be interesting to know about.

Thanks for the input! Regardless, it's been fun looking =)

For instance, ebay listing 362218515771 , "Antique 1879 Hampden Pocket Watch Model II Continental Mvmt Size 18 Coin Silver sets and runs" sold for $60, is that a crummy watch? That's more what I'm thinking; looks like it's not a cheap $5 watch, but nothing extremely fancy that she'd feel bad about me getting her, or be afraid to carry around.

Check out the Q & Q pocket watches from Citizen Watch on EBay. It is a Citizen brand in your price range. Quartz movement is a much better idea than a 100 year old mechanical movement that could be troublesome.

Edit: Or if you want mechanical and can spend $200 Orient Watch has a neat new mechanical with a power reserve.
    Last edited by John MS; January 31st, 2018 at 00:47.
    gloves12 and Synequano like this.

Nice watches can be had for $100 if you look hard enough. Size wise, look for a number 8 size.

Is your girlfriend into watches? Or did she bought that pocket watch because it is your hobby? IMO, instead of a surprise pocket watch (which will show lack of imagination on your side), you should take her shopping and buy her a nice new purse or new pair of shoes (at her choice).

Thread Information