Polishing a Seal?

Thread: Polishing a Seal?

Polishing a Seal?

Hi all,

Looking for some wisdom here from all the Kobold gurus out there.
    I just picked up a used Seal after regretting flipping mine a while back. This one didn't come with a bracelet, which is fine by me because I never wore the other one on bracelet anyways. It's currently on a sweet Delaurian black strap 24mm notched to 22mm. Anyways, this one has some scratches around the lugs and a couple on the bezel and I was wondering if I can take care of this myself. Soo....

Is it possible for me to polish out the scratches around the lugs with a Cape Cod cloth? How about on the bezel? Or do I need special polishing materials for this?

Any input/advice would be greatly appreciated! I'll try to post some pics asap.

Bryan

Re: Polishing a Seal?

While I await the answer by someone more fluent than me on this, I want to add this..what about the SOA. Also, what is a Cape Cod Cloth and where do I get one.
    Kobold Phantom Semi Tactical
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Spirit of America
    Swiss Army Nightvision (FS)
    Tag Heuer Aqua sport 2000

hi all --- it matters what KIND of metal you are polishing, or trying to polish. I'm not sure you can use it on titanium A Cape Cod cloth is available at your local ACE Tru Value hardware - just use those Yellow Pages and call around. They are not expensive at all. They are small cloths that come in a foil re-sealable envelope. the cloth is pretreated with a liquid polish. It's renowned for removing small scatches.

God Bless, Liz

Follow me on Instagram @squibby118

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Great point Liz. I forgot to mention that my seal is a S/S version. I don't want to "bling" out my Seal but would like to take out some scratches.

Think a Cape Cod will do the trick?

Thanks,
    Bryan

Bryan,
    the main issue with taking out scratches is the direction of the brushed finish, obviously right, well at the lug site were the brushed finish is straight up and down it is relatively easy, and actually there is a small kit sold on the forum or ebay which contains various squares of differing micron sizes, which works well and is easy to control becuase of the small size.(http://www.watchbandrenew.com/default.html)I have even used the finest 4-0, 5-0 scrotchbrite pad found mine at an autodetailer store.
    Now the bezel is much more difficult because the brushed finish is circular, and it is very hard to get the pad or what have you to make a circular pass without running in tangent to the finish at some point.
    I have taken the band off of a watch, placed it face down on a fine scotchbrite and rotated it on the pad, actually works the best, would I try it with the SEAL I doubt it.
    I have no experience with the cap cod but did see some report using it to remove AR from sinn crystals
    good luck Bryan
    EDS

Wow, this talk and other polishers sounds a bit scary to me. I think I will just leave the scratches on my watches as a testiment to their loyal service. Sounds like with any watch that has PVD you should steer clear huh?
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Spirit of America

Thanks Eds for the advice. It sounds like it could be done but I think I am gonnna have to go with Watchesnboats when he says it all sounds a bit scary!

I have decided to just leave the Seal as is for now and when I just can't stand the scratches anymore, send it off to Kobold for a beadblasting. Afterall, this is a tool watch and I will be wearing it as such so scratches are bound to accumulate!

-Bryan

It is somewhat daunting, but certainly do able, the thing with a brushed finish is that you can leave scratches and it looks normal, but it is also easy to turn it into a polished finish with fine grit paste
    I think a bead blast would look great on the seal by the way!!
    have agreat day
    eds

Quote Originally Posted by BWMing View Post
    Thanks Eds for the advice. It sounds like it could be done but I think I am gonnna have to go with Watchesnboats when he says it all sounds a bit scary!

I have decided to just leave the Seal as is for now and when I just can't stand the scratches anymore, send it off to Kobold for a beadblasting. Afterall, this is a tool watch and I will be wearing it as such so scratches are bound to accumulate!

-Bryan

Someone in here has a bead blasted seal, do a search of the forum because there are picsl
    Kobold Seal
    Kobold Spirit of America

Thread Information