Polishing SS bracelets -- how to

Thread: Polishing SS bracelets -- how to

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Polishing SS bracelets -- how to

So I bought a used Citizen watch on eBay. Guy claimed it was in "very good condition" and "worn only a few times".

Yeah well the bracelet looks like it's been dragged across cement in a lot of places. I just took a very mild metal polish and microfibre to it last night by hand and got the lighter stuff hidden.

I'm contemplating using my random orbital buffer (which I normally use on my car) and the microfibre buffing pad, along with that same metal polish.

Any other tips? A new bracelet is $150...which I'm not doing. Maybe I should just demand a refund, but this guy is being a real jag so far.

V8

Re: Polishing SS bracelets -- how to

If the scratches aren't deep try cape cod cloth

A dremel tool with a buffing pad and the proper rouge will also work.

If the scratches are deep you may need 2 types of rouge one to take out the scratches and the other to polish.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

This?

http://www.amazon.com/Cape-Polish-88..._bxgy_k_text_b

Is this one of those "jewelry polishing cloths"? How abrasive is it? The bracelet has a brushed finish already and I don't want it looking worse.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by dparm1984 View Post
    This?

http://www.amazon.com/Cape-Polish-8821-Polishing-Cloth/dp/B0017H3PIO/ref=pd_bxgy_k_text_b

Is this one of those "jewelry polishing cloths"? How abrasive is it? The bracelet has a brushed finish already and I don't want it looking worse.

yes! cape cod cloths are great...they arent very abrasive at all, but enough to do wonders on polished SS...I have brought several bracelets/cases back to life after a few minutes of work
    Cheers!
    Craig M.
    Somerville, MA
    The Escapement Watch Blog
    The Escapement on Twitter

“If only I had known, I should have become a watchmaker.” - Albert Einstein

Watches:
    Breitling Super Avenger Chronograph . Rolex Rebberg Trench Watch . Tag Heuer F1 Chrono . Tissot T-Touch . Tissot T-Race . Million Smart Flying Tourbillon . Zodiac Dragon Wing . Invicta Skeleton 3379 . Invicta Pro Diver 8926 . Scooby-Doo Chrono [A7750] . Alpha "Sea" . Alpha Jump Hour . Vostok CK-1 Orange . Poljot 2614.2H Movement . Gruen Quartz 'Soviet' . G-Shock GW300A-1V / G9000-8V 'Stormtrooper' . Timex Perpetual Calender . Vintage Helbros [Felsa 690 Mvt] ....Among others

Go Yankees!

V8

Cape cod cloth will remove a brushed finish, if there are brushed areas you want to protect cover them with tape.
    Last edited by V8; January 15th, 2009 at 22:34.

Understeer is when you hit the wall with your front end. Oversteer is when you hit the wall with your rear end. Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall. Torque is how far you move the wall.

Well I think that rules it out...the entire band is a brushed finish.

Quote Originally Posted by V8 View Post
    Cape cod cloth will remove a brushed finish, if there are brushed areas you want to protect cover them with tape.

Quote Originally Posted by dparm1984 View Post
    Well I think that rules it out...the entire band is a brushed finish.
    Brushed finish I usually use a Scotchbrite pad. But if the scratches are deep, you'll need something more, like a fine wet/dry sandpaper followed by the Scotchbrite. I've done whole cases like that too.

-s-

I've heard you can use one of those green scotch brite pads and brush each stroke in the same direction. This should keep the brushed finish and remove the hairline scratches. I haven't tried this out though so maybe someone else could chime in.

Current Collection:
    Rolex Submariner 116610lv
    Omega Seamaster
    Seiko SKX007, SBBN031
    Scurfa MS18, DS-1
    Seiko Chrono
    Marathon Navigator
    Casio GMW5000, DW6900, GW6900, DW2900, DW5600

Instagram: _smalls83

V8

Scotchbrite pads work so does fine grit sandpaper. If you search do a search on various forums for this topic you'll find a few posts where guys did it themselves and posted the results.

A green scotchbrite pad will work. ive also used 600 grit wet/dry paper while under the tap. The sandpaper works pretty well, but its very abrasive. Practice on the buckle or clasp to get your technique down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information