Polishing / Waxing / Protecting Watches...even new ones

Thread: Polishing / Waxing / Protecting Watches...even new ones

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Polishing / Waxing / Protecting Watches...even new ones

Does anyone have any pointers or experience with the best protective coating to apply to a watch and band to protect it from scratches and scuffs? People in the automotive detailing world swear by products such as Liquid Glass or Klasse or Collinite to protect their vintage and high-end showcars. These products are safe to use on metals and even list jewelry as an application. However, I never see mention of people using these products to protect and polish their watches after cleaning them with soap and water. Might this not be a good step BEFORE wearing a watch for the first time to protect it from future damage? For example, Liquid Glass produces a rock hard glasslike clear finish on surfaces after baked on with sunlight/heat and applied with multiple coats. It is buffed off of course as any auto wax/polish is, but it of course leaves behind a microscopic layer of protection. This type of protective coating is supposed to resist even rock dings on cars after enough coats have been applied. Does anyone out there have any experience with using such products on their fine metal watches? Did it have an impact on the long-term scratch/blemish resistance of the watch or did it only increase the reflectivity and shine of the polished metal?

Re: Polishing / Waxing / Protecting Watches...even new ones

A little pre-shave, toilet paper or swab of cotton works fine.

I think adding product to the surface seems like a bad idea. Watches have a lot of cracks and crevices that might get filled up with the wax or other substance causing issues. They also have much finer finishes than automobile bodies.

Kind Regards,
    Nick
    __________________________________________________ _______________________________________________

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Banned

The general consensus here is if you worry that much about scratches, leave the watch in the box and don't wear it. Wabi sabi brother!

I say wear them (thats what they are for) if they get nicked up. When you take them in for service, they usually come back looking brand spanking new.

Quote Originally Posted by Xspect View Post
    I say wear them (thats what they are for) if they get nicked up. When you take them in for service, they usually come back looking brand spanking new.
    +1

Flitz metal polish and a soft cloth.

c'mon, don't use you watch if you don't want it to get scratches and dings. these blemishes makes the piece your own.

Has anyone tried the German metal polish Autosol? It lists watches as an application. If so, does anyone believe it works as well or better than Flitz? I know Cape Code cloths are often mentioned as the most popular for minor scratches but I often see Flitz listed for more serious scratches. By the way, I understand what everyone is saying about wearing your watch and not worrying too much. My post is addressing this from a different angle than how most are replying. Wouldn't it be better to prevent scratches more so in the first place instead of using abrasives or semi-abrasives later to remove scratches and other blemishes. By buffing out scratches, it seems you are removing visible blemishes and cuts but adding additional damage at a finer level. My inquiry is to whether ones think it might be wiser to protect/prevent the damage instead of trying to always fix it after the fact. There are countless examples of this in other areas. For instance, sure, you can polish and repair shoes after they've become damaged, but if you polish and care for them well in advance, they'll last much longer. You can paint a piece of metal lawn furniture after years of rain and use a power metal brush to remove the built-up rust OR you could regularly clean the furniture and apply a fresh coat of paint every season or two, protecting the original metal and remove the need to remove/repair the rust damage coming from neglect.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffeeshopman View Post
    Flitz metal polish and a soft cloth.

I solve this problem by always buying TWO!

That way I use one properly with the happy thought i already have one in a box fresh.

Now I enjoy my Longines Conquest Heritage so much and have just finished scrapping some deep scratches out of the plastic glass with my knife before I used Brasso for the polish.

Cool.
    - Too many watches, not enough time...

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information