Voters
11. This poll is closed
  • Orient FGW0100

10 90.91%
  • Sea-Gull Horoscope

1 9.09%

Thread: Poll: Which Dress Watch? Orient FGW0100 or Sea-Gull Horoscope Series

Poll: Which Dress Watch? Orient FGW0100 or Sea-Gull Horoscope Series

Hey guys. I'm a watch amateur looking to purchase my first dress watch. I'm currently undecided between these two models, thus hoping to get fellow forumers opinion and choice on this.

Option 1: Orient FGW0100
    This is a quartz watch very similar to the Orient Politician. Price is USD200.
    Name:  586042-2-1329200021.jpg
Views: 1486
Size:  95.5 KB

Option 2: Sea-Gull Horoscope Series
    Not too sure what's the model number, but they have a model for every astrological sign. It's not listed on their official website but it's on their official TaoBao online shop. I'm a Taurus, so this is what it looks like. Price is USD200, discounted from original price of USD500, and it's a limited edition, all according to their TaoBao page.
    Name:  T2jsd9Xd0bXXXXXXXX_!!699724610.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  174.8 KB

Based on looks and design alone, I would pick the Orient. However, the Sea-Gull is pretty attractive too, especially if it's really a limited edition and has a quality worth USD500.

So what do you guys think?

Re: Poll: Which Dress Watch? Orient FGW0100 or Sea-Gull Horoscope Series

Hands down Orient. Looks like a classic, simplistic, elegant dress watch.

That Sea Gull has that dumb bull in the middle and that will get old quick. Dress watches dont have bulls on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duder View Post
    Hands down Orient. Looks like a classic, simplistic, elegant dress watch.

That Sea Gull has that dumb bull in the middle and that will get old quick. Dress watches dont have bulls on them.
    +1 Get the Orient. It's stylish and dressy.
    I am no longer active on WUS. If you would like to contact me, please feel free to email me: rbrylaw fifty five at yahoo

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I think the Orient looks better and they have earned a good reputation for surprisingly accurate budget movements.

Banned

I suspect the Sea-Gull is not a $500 watch.

Orient looks much nicer and classier!

Thanks for the feedback! I was leaning towards the Orient design although just wasn't sure if it was worth it especially since it's a quartz.

One more question though. I've never had a watch with a case color that's anything but silver. This would be my first rose gold watch if I buy it. For fellow formers with rose gold watches, will the color run or fade or scratch off, revealing plain silver underneath?

Why don't you buy one of Orient's classically styled automatic dress watches, or if you want something more eye catching opt for one of Seagull's guilloche dial dress watches?

If you forced me to chose I would choose the Seagull, (despite the odd choice of having a bull on the dial), simply because it is a mechanical watch. This watch would be better if had the Chinese zodiac animals on it, at least this would fit with the notion of owning a Chinese watch.

To me a quartz watch lacks a soul, so wearing one is only desirable during extreme activities that might damage a mechanical (i.e. pounding nails on a roof, swimming in a murky lake) and even then, a Seiko mechanical diver could be abused for such a purpose with its low entry cost. I couldn't imagine owning a quartz dress watch unless it was something special. I suppose if you gave me a quartz Tag Heuer, Movado, Omega, or something higher end quartz I'd find sometime to wear it, but I couldn't imagine putting down the cash for a quartz dress watch with high quality/low cost mechanical options. To me this is especially true of a dress watch where shock resistance and water resistance are of relatively minor utility.
    "The stuff that dreams are made of…" - RGM ‘801 EE Motor Barrel’

Tokyo, Yokohama, NY, Detroit, Budapest, KL...Now a double life in HK and China!

As some others have said, I would tend to recommend some of Orient's automatic dress watches (I voted for the Orient quartz). They have some affordable, but very nice dress watches worth looking into.

Guilloche is something Orient seems to be good at too

Thread Information