Polywatch repair disaster
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Polywatch repair disaster

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hi all,

My Junghans Max Bill had a small scratch on top of the 12 marker so I decided to use some Polywatch on it. I have heard good things about the product, however after I applied the Polywatch, there is now a larger uneven and dented area instead of the small scratch! This is quite noticable because as the light shines through the glass, it makes a different shade compared to the rest of the face.

I am devastated! Does anybody have any advice for me? Pictures are below.

Thank you!
    Brian

Name:  DSCF7069.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  574.5 KBName:  DSCF7065.jpg
Views: 1417
Size:  642.0 KB

Picture Re: Polywatch repair disaster

is the crystal actually plastic ?

Wow.. im surprised. it is.

last weekend I used 3M headlight restorer to get good results out of Vintage timex.
    Last edited by Wolfsatz; October 28th, 2016 at 18:14.

Last edited by dukembla; October 28th, 2016 at 18:11.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Polywatch repair disaster

Short of brushing off the rest of the crystal to the same amount, there's really nothing you can do, afaik. In theory, if you can melt extra plastic with the same refractive index on the pit and level it off (and without any trace goop in the transition between old crystal and new material), you could restore it to the original shape... But that's in theory. In practice, not feasible nor viable, and a sure-fire way to completely eff up the watch.

(well - send it to Junghans for servicing and crystal replacement, but idk how much that will end up costing).

(sidenote: this is why plastic crystals are bad and sapphire crystals should be the absolute standard for any watch above 300 bucks... If you want yellow tint, put yellow coating on a sapphire crystal's bottom).
    Last edited by X2-Elijah; October 28th, 2016 at 18:16.
    NTH Santa Cruz
    Undone Speedy
    San Martin "Radiomir"(Damascus, Bronze, Steel)
    + always on wrist: Fitbit Inspire HR

"Just to follow up on this, several months ago I got a couple scratches on the crystal and decided to get some fine sandpaper and see if I could scrape off the coating where it had already been coming off from the scrapes. After about 1 hour of constant attention I successfully took off the sicralan and used Polywatch to buff out the crystal. I also rubbed a bit too hard and put some compression cracks in the crystal, but hey at least I know I can get the coating off. Anyways I am going to get a new crystal for it due to the cracks."

From the thread quoted. given that this is coming from the automotive industry, I would guess that the 3M restoral or anything like it would work very well as long as it is done across the whole crystal.

my results on a Timex

20161022_143232 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20161022_143243 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20161022_144638 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20161022_151652 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20161022_134436 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr

20161022_143131 by Wolfsatz, on Flickr
    ... What time is it? ...

There is nothing wrong with uncoated plexiglass.
    Quartersawn likes this.

To be clear, the moral of this story is not polishing an acrylic crystal is bad, but rather, polishing a crystal with a special coating is bad.
    Stowa 1938 | Speedy Pro 311 | Omega SMPc | 66 Omega SM | 65 Omega Cosmic | 54 Omega SM | 72 Speedy Mark II | 69 Tissot T.12 | 70 Tissot Super T.12 | 70 Seiko 6139 | 71 Seiko Yachtman | 77 Seiko Pogue | 70s Seiko Bullhead | 69 Bulova SK | Ventus Mori | Helm Khuraburi

Sucks... OP should contact Junhans repair to see what cost of crystal replacement is (should not be bad, I'd guess <$100).
    https://www.junghanswatchesusa.net/R...ter_ep_43.html

Agree that the moral of the story is that polishing coated crystals is a bad idea (polishing crystals using polywatch is fine in absence of coating).

As far as watch cost vs use of acrylic\plexiglass\hardlex - it is a conversation that has been had many times. If used as a design choice (due to warmth, feel and light processing), it is just fine (Speedmaster, Junghans Max Bill, Sinn 356 are fine watches using acrylic crystals). The decision to use coating is puzzling though. Then again, many don't like sapphire crystals w external ar coating for similar as it can scratch easily (coating, not sapphire)
    dukembla likes this.
    "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
    "Don?t argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience" Greg King
    ?Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference.? Mark Twain
    "The problem with quotes found on the Internet is that it's hard to be sure of their authenticity." Abraham Lincoln
    "A Rose by any other name will smell as sweet. But it does not follow that whatever we choose to call a Rose will possess the Rose's fragrance." BB Warfield

Thank you for sharing your experience. I've had my eye on a Jungans for a few years and the Sicralan coating gives me pause.

If you can't live with the "dent" a new crystal may be called for.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information