Poor quality bracelets?

Thread: Poor quality bracelets?

Poor quality bracelets?

I wonder if someone can tell me if there's such a thing as poor quality bracelets and if so how to identify them?

Also if you have time... a watch I wanted to get was an Orient Mako (http://www.miraquefacil.com/relojes/mako005.jpg). Is this bracelet good quality?

Re: Poor quality bracelets?

Sure, there are watches out there with bracelets that aren't as nice as others.... in terms of the Mako. I've had nicer but for 90 bucks or so, it's one of the nicest that can be had. It doesn't employ solid end links but the rest of the links appear to be solid and it doesn't taper, which is another plus. A way to identify a cheaper bracelet, is to look for folded link bracelets, you can usually find lines or folds in the links. I also prefer watches that have solid end links, instead of a hollow link. The End link is the piece that connects the band to the watch, I just prefer them to be solid.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    I wonder if someone can tell me if there's such a thing as poor quality bracelets and if so how to identify them?

Also if you have time... a watch I wanted to get was an Orient Mako (http://www.miraquefacil.com/relojes/mako005.jpg). Is this bracelet good quality?
    Generally, if they aren't solid link bracelets I tend to stay away. I don't like cheap folded link bracelets. Now, if it's a watch I really like and it only comes with a crappy bracelet, I'll buy it and just replace the bracelet it came with in favor of a strap or a solid link bracelet.

This pic illustrates the difference between a solid link bracelet and a folded link bracelet.

Pic courtesy of Timezone

Last edited by Viper; December 9th, 2007 at 05:16. Reason: added pic

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Thanks guys and that was a very useful pic.

Now, if it's a watch I really like and it only comes with a crappy bracelet, I'll buy it and just replace the bracelet it came with in favor of a strap or a solid link bracelet.
    Funny that you mentioned that because I was considering getting the Mako and a new bracelet.

Quote Originally Posted by muxinick View Post
    Sure, there are watches out there with bracelets that aren't as nice as others.... in terms of the Mako. I've had nicer but for 90 bucks or so, it's one of the nicest that can be had. It doesn't employ solid end links but the rest of the links appear to be solid and it doesn't taper, which is another plus. A way to identify a cheaper bracelet, is to look for folded link bracelets, you can usually find lines or folds in the links. I also prefer watches that have solid end links, instead of a hollow link. The End link is the piece that connects the band to the watch, I just prefer them to be solid.
    One more thing what do you mean by the way the bracelet tapers? Shouldn't links be removed so you get a nice tight fit?

I'm also a bit confused about solid end links as well. I was under the impression that Mako's did have solid end links.
    Last edited by jimbo123; December 9th, 2007 at 06:00.

vandice

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo123 View Post
    One more thing what do you mean by the way the bracelet tapers? Shouldn't links be removed so you get a nice tight fit?

I'm also a bit confused about solid end links as well. I was under the impression that Mako's did have solid end links.
    Perhaps this will help: http://www.pmwf.com/Watches/BraceletDifferences.htm

Taper just means the clasp width is smaller than the lug width, i.e. the bracelet tapers away from the case, like most leather straps. It's a question of taste I think but many people prefer straight bracelets, though there are a few high end watches with tapered designs.

Usually, hollow end links have butterfly shape wings resting on the underside of both lugs, as pictured in the link above. There is usually also a gap between the case and the spring bar. This design is cheaper to make since the tolerance is relaxed between link and case. There may be some play and the wings will scratch the lugs over time. Usually found on lower-end watches in the sub $200 range, though I've seen those on some more expensive Swiss Made ones.

That's a very comprehensive article Vandice :thanks

Thread Information