Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Porsche Design repositions itself to create luxury watches

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Watchuseek Editor

Porsche Design repositions itself to create luxury watches

Name:  Porsche Design.jpg
Views: 702
Size:  86.8 KB

The Porsche Design Group has established a subsidiary in Switzerland to continue offering high-quality timepieces. Porsche Design Timepieces AG, based in the Jurasuedfuß region of Switzerland, will be responsible for developing and producing exclusive Porsche Design timepieces. Marketing and sales will be overseen by the Porsche Design Group, from its base in Ludwigsburg, Germany.

Name:  Juergen Gessler.jpg
Views: 677
Size:  54.4 KB

“By taking this step, we are continuing the successful history of Porsche Design timepieces, which began in 1972 with the iconic Chronograph I. We are especially happy to have acquired Patrick Kury, a watch expert who – as well as demonstrating a profound understanding of our brand – is extremely skilled and accomplished when it comes to developing watch mechanisms. Kury has already proved this by developing the Porsche Design Indicator, the most complex watch mechanism in the world.” Juergen Gessler, CEO of the Porsche Design Group

Porsche Design timepieces are available around the world in the luxury brand's stores and from selected leading retailers. Currently, the company is preparing to launch the first watch series offered solely by Porsche Design.

This series is based on the Chronograph I and the Titanium Chronograph, which were matt black and made from titanium respectively: The first model in the series – the Porsche Design Timepiece No. 1 – heralds the era of Timepieces made by Porsche Design.

The 42mm self-winding chronograph features a case made from titanium. The matt black case of the No. 1 was coated by means of a special process. The model is powered by a mechanical Valjoux 7750 chronograph mechanism that has a power reserve of 48 hours.
    The blackened sapphire crystal case back reveals the inner workings of the Porsche Design rotor. Waterproof to 50m, the watch comes on a black rubber strap. only 500 units.

The Chronograph I was the world's first black watch as well as the first product produced by the luxury brand. In 1972, the timepiece caused a stir as the self-winding chronograph – a concept that had previously been inconceivable – was entirely black and provocatively plain. Porsche Design also lay claim to creating the first timepiece made from titanium and the first watch to feature an aluminium case.

The first watch series offered solely by Porsche Design will go on sale in the fourth quarter of 2014.

Visit the Porsche Design website

Re: Porsche Design repositions itself to create luxury watches

"Iconic style", I'll pass. That word has been used to the point of being worthless, like classic.
    little big feather likes this.

Very cool. I hope they bring back this classic diver

Source

I'm not sure how much of this watch was them or IWC, but I think this watch is still unparalleled; 2000m WR, 10mm thick, antimagnetic, and titanium
    "A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Savile Row suit." -- Ian Fleming

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I'm not sure what I hate more. A car maker creating watches. Or a German company wanting to put the stupid "swiss made" on their watches instead of being German made.

Then there's Nivrel, "The German watch with a Swiss heart".
    Quote Originally Posted by DustinS View Post
    I'm not sure what I hate more. A car maker creating watches. Or a German company wanting to put the stupid "swiss made" on their watches instead of being German made.

I'd generally agree except my understanding is Porsche Design is pretty much operated independently from the actual car maker (although the car maker owns PD).

And more importantly the designs seem pretty faithful to that German design aesthetic, which I like although like anything else that depends on your taste. And PD smartly opted to keep the Porsche name on it fairly subtle - no big Porsche badging on the watch.

I've thought about owning one. I most definetily don't like Ferrari branded watches because they are too loud for my tastes and IMHO begs other people to ask where your Ferrari is (parked next to my KIA - ha) - which I'm guessing Porsche Design does not.

On the Ocean 2000? I think that has something to do with IWC and the fact that they're located in Schaffhausen (Switzerland). As for the new watch, I wonder if they say SWISS MADE for a similar reason...
    Last edited by Quotron; July 29th, 2014 at 06:48.
    "A gentleman's choice of timepiece says as much about him as does his Savile Row suit." -- Ian Fleming

Meh. Underwhelming designs, overwhelming prices. Pass.
    I am Dyslexia of Borg. Futility is resistant. Your ass will be laminated.

Quote Originally Posted by Quotron View Post
    Very cool. I hope they bring back this classic diver
    I'm not sure how much of this watch was them or IWC, but I think this watch is still unparalleled; 2000m WR, 10mm thick, antimagnetic, and titanium
    Why? Just buy a Sinn UX – job done for sensible money. Okay, slightly thicker, but doubtful that 13mm is a deal breaker.
    and if you want to play Top Trumps, it goes to 5000m, and being tegmented steel, is likely to be a damn sight more scratch resistant compared to the titanium ones pictured.
    Strange likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ S View Post
    Why? Just buy a Sinn UX – job done for sensible money. Okay, slightly thicker, but doubtful that 13mm is a deal breaker.
    and if you want to play Top Trumps, it goes to 5000m, and being tegmented steel, is likely to be a damn sight more scratch resistant compared to the titanium ones pictured.
    The Muhle Glashutte SAR Diver is also similar:

And again, better priced.

Luxury is another overused word these days, mostly taken to mean 'expensive'.
    Strange likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information