Positive social media only? Brands that remove comments that are not to their liking
Like Tree41Likes

Thread: Positive social media only? Brands that remove comments that are not to their liking

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Positive social media only? Brands that remove comments that are not to their liking

I'd like to get the following objection out of the way: The pages, twitter feeds, Instagram etc are all for the purposes of my rant their property and sure they have a right to do this but at what cost to the brand?

I only comment on watches I may actually buy or have an interest in. Just noticed another comment was removed from a company where I bought their watch that day and had issues.Rather than reaching out to assist me with my inquiry they deleted the comment. The result of which is that I have no interest in working with them to resolve my issue other than a refund. They could have engaged me, others could have seen that engagement and the company would look like people that took their support obligations seriously even if my situation couldn't be resolved it would at least show a fair attempt to do it. The comment was fair, was a response to another buyer that also experienced the same problem and silly me I didn't screenshot it because I honestly expected better:

Do the forums experience a trend towards companies that actually engage with customers versus those curating positive comments only?

Re: Positive social media only? Brands that remove comments that are not to their liking

Any manufacturer's Facebook page or forum on their website is run for their sole benefit. They want an echo chamber for their fanboys and collectors. Something to create a positive buzz...

Those venues are not meant to resolve any customer's issues nor do the companies necessarily want to leave the impression that they are eager to help. "If we do it for you, we'd have to do it for everyone..."

Perhaps you might have gotten a more positive response if you did it privately and offline...
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Amongst other things I work with social media marketing, and this does seem to be a growing trend with retailers generally.

Going back a few years or so best practice was only to remove offensive or repetitively negative posts. Other than that, most social media savvy brands would leave a generically polite response stating something along the lines ‘we’re very sorry to hear about this issue. If you could kindly pm us some details we will look in to it immediately’ (subsequently brands can now initiate this private contact)..therefore showing other followers of the page that issues are dealt with promptly whilst attempting to move further dialogue away from public view.

Recently it seems more and more brands either don’t have the resources to properly handle these situations, or they don’t have the will. It may well come down to laziness on many occasions. I believe the calibre generally of personnel working in social media has declined...or has been spread too thinly given how many platforms brands need to engage on now. As a result, it wouldn’t surprise me if some brands (but likely individuals representing the brand’s page) make the call that a dissatisfied customer is unlikely to be a repeat customer so why not just delete negative comments immediately before they influence others.

I agree though, it’s a short sighted policy. Brands I’ve represented have turned many customers with negative experiences in to steadfast advocates of the brand...merely by the efforts they go to in order to listen and resolve issues.

For this reason I, like you, would not engage with any brand that unreasonably deletes social media comments. I certainly wouldn’t with any company making luxury or recreational products.
    haltse likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Re: Positive social media only? Brands that remove comments that are not to their liking

The last three micro brand watches I've bought were direct results of positive social media interaction so maybe I hit a lucky streak.Just seems odd that if a company doesn't want to hear from customers then turn off the ability to do so. Maybe I will get a response from them, eventually, but they've decided that it's more important to remove items out of hours than it was to come back with something as basic as. "Sorry to hear you have an issue, please contact us within their normal hours.
    I come from a background that created tools for social media and it's been rather a disappointment to see how most companies have used it. Thank you for the reply I really am interested in how others see these things.
    wonkytrolley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkytrolley View Post
    Amongst other things I work with social media marketing, and this does seem to be a growing trend with retailers generally.

I agree though, it’s a short sighted policy. Brands I’ve represented have turned many customers with negative experiences in to steadfast advocates of the brand...merely by the efforts they go to in order to listen and resolve issues.

For this reason I, like you, would not engage with any brand that unreasonably deletes social media comments. I certainly wouldn’t with any company making luxury or recreational products.
    Thanks for the reply that's pretty much what I thought should have occurred both in my expectations and my reaction. I bought into the "Cluetrain Manifesto" and later Scott Stratten's work on how I should treat customers in my endeavors and it's been interesting applying that to the world of watches. Usually, I've been having great results, they've led to real-world purchases. Then again maybe startups get that the landscape they are in. Thing is they made a self-fulfilling prophecy. Sad thing is I was actually being helpful I told the guy that yes my watch had the same issue but also let them know that their upset at the watch running 5 seconds slow a day was at the price range, and the movement used well within specs, that was another thing I loved about running product blogs, customers helping customers a free tech-support army:)

Laziness wise, I'd expect a bot that works out the sentiment of your communication, sends a placatory remark and sends info on how to go further.
    wonkytrolley likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wonkytrolley View Post
    Going back a few years or so best practice was only to remove offensive or repetitively negative posts. Other than that, most social media savvy brands would leave a generically polite response stating something along the lines ‘we’re very sorry to hear about this issue. If you could kindly pm us some details we will look in to it immediately’ (subsequently brands can now initiate this private contact)..therefore showing other followers of the page that issues are dealt with promptly whilst attempting to move further dialogue away from public view.
    I had an issue with a Sony Blu-ray player and noted it on their website. They had a very polite post asking me to contact them to elaborate on my situation.

I had a sneaking suspicion that the message was nothing more than lip service, meant to create the appearance of being responsive. And sure enough, after I contacted them on their supplied email, I never heard anything back despite repeated attempts.

Ask me how many Sony products I've bought since then...
    haltse likes this.
    Well, I was standing on a corner in Winslow, AZ and Clara Oswald slowed down to take a look at me and my GS Tiffany SnowflakeTM...

Manufacturer-run social media pages are a form of advertising. So, don't be surprised that you're not allowed to complain in a company's advertisement. Even the ones that allow negative comments do it primarily to legitimate the positive comments. If you want to complain about a product, do it in a space that isn't controlled by the manufacturer -- Twitter hashtags are good for this.
    haltse likes this.

There’s a boutique microbrand whose name starts with an M, ends with a K and followed by the Roman numerals II that has a space on a very popular horological social platform and they are strict about any remark and complaint left on their forum. Posts have disappeared.

If a business puts itself on a social media platform, then you’d think they’d be able to accept reasonable comments or complaints from their customers.

I can accept that companies control and manipulate their public image, so it’s another reason I avoid looking at their Facebook pages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by powerband; February 26th, 2018 at 04:41.
    Ticking Away the Moments that Make Up a Dull Day

I believe a dispute should be handled privately between the relevant parties. I think the company's public page is not the appropriate place to inquire about customer service. Usually companies will have a toll free phone number or email for service. However, if a company has a public comment page and you write an honest and legitimate review and then they delete it, i would consider that bad ethics.

Quote Originally Posted by microtech85 View Post
    I believe a dispute should be handled privately between the relevant parties. I think the company's public page is not the appropriate place to inquire about customer service. Usually companies will have a toll free phone number or email for service. However, if a company has a public comment page and you write an honest and legitimate review and then they delete it, i would consider that bad ethics.
    But that’s the benefit of social media - the ability to hold brands accountable and reach a much wider audience as a customer than you would have in the past.
    haltse and wonkytrolley like this.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information