Is it Possible to Love Watches, but Hate Watch Culture?
Like Tree209Likes

Thread: Is it Possible to Love Watches, but Hate Watch Culture?

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Is it Possible to Love Watches, but Hate Watch Culture?

Hello! I'm a 26 year old man living in Connecticut and I've been in love with watches for as long as I can remember. I've worn a wrist watch since I was 8 years old. To this day I'm amazed and fascinated by mechanical movements and beautiful designs and finishes. When I was 17, I began to tinker with watches, taking them apart and putting them back together. I started with old pocket watches, then moved on to wristwatches. I'm by no means a watchmaker, but I have an incredible amount of respect for the craft. I love combing WUS, Watchville and Hodinkee for all the latest news and articles on the subject. A few years ago I received my first invitation to a "watch event" at a watch shop in CT. It was advertised as a chance to meet other collectors/enthusiasts and to see some amazing concept watches from various brands. I was really excited to go. I was looking forward to meeting people who shared my passion and respect for the craft. My girlfriend and I got dressed up, put on our favorite watches (Speedy) and went off to the event.

Within 15 minutes of arriving at the event, I was disappointed. I was expecting to meet with a group of people who shared my passion. Instead, I was met with a group of men and women who were only interested in proving they were more successful than the person next to them. I spoke briefly with a gentleman who proclaimed "If I'm mad at my kids, I'll threaten to send them to public school." and another man who asked me "How many Rolexes do you have? Because I have 29. I'll have 3 more within the next month because of Christmas." I was even approached by someone who (I'm not making this up) immediately grabbed my wrist, looked at my watch, said "Aw, that's a shame" then walked away. I remember everyone treating the wait staff at the event like garbage. Hardly anybody was talking about watches! It was all about peacocking and bragging about how important they all were. I left thoroughly disappointed.

I had hoped that I could chalk it up to one bad experience. Since then, I've been to nine other events in venues around New York, Connecticut, Massachusetts, Las Vegas and Atlanta. All of which were the same. At one of the meetings, someone told me how their "beater" watch is the Rolex Sub Hulk and anything with an ETA movement is worse then quartz. I was saddened to see that to most of these people, a timepiece seemed to be nothing more than a status symbol. I suppose that could be said for people who collect cars or art as well. It's possible for someone to collect something merely to demonstrate power and status, but after nine collector's events and countless trips to watch shops around the country, I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to love timepieces, but hate the "lifestyle" that surrounds many of the people who wear them? I'd love to hear your take on this!
    rdoder, OvrSteer, mleok and 32 others like this.

Re: Is it Possible to Love Watches, but Hate Watch Culture?

Impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Arciuolo View Post
    I'm beginning to wonder if it's possible to love timepieces, but hate the "lifestyle" that surrounds many of the people who wear them? I'd love to hear your take on this!
    Very possible. I love whiskey, but hate the nut-hugging that surrounds whisky 'clubs', When I bought my Harley, and started riding with other Harley riders - the siege mentality surrounding the brand just did my head in, and sold the bike. I'm too bloody scared to join the local Ducatista brigade, because my Ducati is far too new, and pretty to sell because of the culture surrounding it. I think it happens more than people want to admit.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

I would seriously suck at a watch event. The only Rolex I have is an Explorer II, My next favourite watch is a Breitling Colt that was given to me by my boss for a significant work achievement. I have a Tag Aquaracer 500m, my wife bought it for me just before we had our son. I have nothing to offer a serious 'collectors' meeting. Kudos to you and your wife for actually going to one.

How so, if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by Tseg View Post
    Impossible.
    How so, if you don't mind me asking?

Banned

This is simply because watches are now nothing more than jewelries to the public. I haven't met another guy in real life who is into watches for the sake of watches like myself. To them it's all the same trend: Rolex, Panerai, ROO, RM, now HYT. Whatever is the latest and if possible more expensive. They don't even try to match the watch with the attire which is even more sad. So when someone here comes and tell me a watch is a tool he's living in his own world, or the WUS world.
    vkalia and tanatron like this.

GTA, Ontario, Canada, the True North strong and free

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Arciuolo View Post

I had hoped that I could chalk it up to one bad experience. Since then, I've been to nine other events
    Glutton for punishment or unable to learn a lesson?
    steadyrock and Giggo like this.
    DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM

Sorry to hear about your experiences. I haven't been to one, but I generally hear very positive noises about WUS get togethers. Maybe try organizing a CT gathering?
    nh1 and Audy like this.

Of course it's possible. Enjoy what you like, do what you want and don't worry about what other people think. I spend the amount of time I do with my dog for a reason.
    Before you think about buying a watch winder from Wolf Designs ask me why you should not.

I have to stop saying, " How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information