Possible power reserve issues on miyota 9015
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Possible power reserve issues on miyota 9015

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Possible power reserve issues on miyota 9015

Last week I received a Phoibos Eagle Ray, which has a miyota 9015 movement. It appears to have some power reserve issues. I first noticed it within the first day of having it. I had given it a few hand cranks to get it going and then after sitting around relaxing, I looked down and noticed it had stopped. No big deal I thought, I just only given it a few cranks and hadn't really moved. On Saturday someone asked me what time it was and I was about 45 minutes behind, unbeknownst to me. I wasn't sure if this was a power issues or if it was losing time that badly, because I had never noticed it not running. I did a time study on it and over the course of two days it lost about 3 seconds. During this time I had made a point of winding it a few times throughout each day to make sure it kept going as I wasn't wearing it the entire time. I had worn it from about yesterday afternoon at 4:00 PM until about 10:00 PM.

It was still running this morning. I gave it a solid 20+ cranks until I could feel the tiny bit of periodic spring telling me it was fully wound. I work a desk job, but I still move about a good bit. I've never had an issue with any of my other automatics stopping, including my Orient sun and moon which doesn't have any hand wind option. At about 3:15 I looked down and noticed that it had once again stopped, and had been for about 40 minutes. When I took it off I gave it a few side to side motions to get it going again followed by 40+ hand cranks. It's clear that I'm going to have to do a full time study to see how long it's lasting, but I have to imagine something is wrong. I have never had an auto stop working while on my wrist, especially after I had been wearing it for hours and had given it some cranks not even 8 hours earlier. The only possible thing I could think of is that because the movement is unidirectional that it won't charge as easy as some of my others, but that still doesn't explain the loss of power when I had hand wound it. Any thoughts on the issue before I prep to go down the warranty path? I have continued to do time studies and it has continued to keep time without issue, it's just had multiple occurrences of unexplained stops at this point. I don't have a winder and am finally debating getting one, but that still doesn't explain why it would lose all power on my wrist after all of the hand winding.

Carmen de apicala, Col / Cayuse Flats, BC

Re: Possible power reserve issues on miyota 9015

Your mainspring may be damaged, I had a similar issue with an automatic a few weeks ago and found the M/S needed replacement.
    The current rotation: Orologi Calamai G50 MkIII, Omega Speedmaster 3510-50, Omega Dynamic series III, Omega Aqua Terra 2504.80, Omega Seamaster 212.30.41, MkII Key West , Eterna - Matic 1948 Chronometre, Tudor BB36 79500, Marathon TSAR medium, Pro Trek PRW3000-2, Seiko Alpinist perpetual calendar GMT.

IIRC, these require 40 full rotations of the crown to get full PR from dead.

Also, the Miyota has a unidirectional winding rotor, so it will not wind as efficiently on wrist as a bi-directional like anything from Seiko, Orient, most ETAs (except the 775x chrono's), etc.
    Powered by 1.21 Gigawatts

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

They're actually very efficient auto-winders, in my observation, having made a few thousand watches with the 9015.

@Floataround - you need to do some troubleshooting. Hand-wind it to full power by turning the crown 40 full turns, and see how long it runs. If it runs more than 40 hours, odds are you just weren't moving around enough to keep it running.

The defect rate on the 9015 is very low. But, those bad units we've found, almost always presented themselves soon after delivery.
    This used to be my signature, but now it's just this generic drawing of a watch.

I'm not on social media 24/7. It’s not a good way to reach me for support, or for me to deliver it. In order to best serve my customers, and manage my time effectively, I have turned private messaging off. The best way to reach me is using the support page of my website. Thanks for understanding.

Thanks all. I'm going to do a few documentied time studies before contacting phoibos.

Quote Originally Posted by docvail View Post
    They're actually very efficient auto-winders, in my observation, having made a few thousand watches with the 9015.

@Floataround - you need to do some troubleshooting. Hand-wind it to full power by turning the crown 40 full turns, and see how long it runs. If it runs more than 40 hours, odds are you just weren't moving around enough to keep it running.

The defect rate on the 9015 is very low. But, those bad units we've found, almost always presented themselves soon after delivery.
    Efficient for a unidirectional, but when the rotor winds in both directions, you get winding with pretty much every movement of your wrist. Not so with unidirectional. If you're not very active, I could definitely see unidirectional winders running out of steam before bidirectional.