Is it possible for quartz to operate like automatic?

Thread: Is it possible for quartz to operate like automatic?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Is it possible for quartz to operate like automatic?

Is it possible for quartz second dial to move in sweeping manner like automatic watch? Using quartz movement in a watch and make it move like automatic motion..... Possible?

Re: Is it possible for quartz to operate like automatic?

Quote Originally Posted by GMT-II View Post
    Is it possible for quartz second dial to move in sweeping manner like automatic watch? Using quartz movement in a watch and make it move like automatic motion..... Possible?
    Yes it is. I believe the per-second steps of quartz movements are deliberate, in other words the intervals could be many times that.

Seiko's Spring Drive movement has a quartz-controlled "brake" but its power is provided by a mechanical spring and mechanism, so isn't really a quartz movement in the accepted sense. This has a perfectly smooth second-hand movement, as the hand is driven directly from the unwinding of the mainspring - something not even a high-beat automatic can manage.

LTH

in quest for holy grail ?

Seiko does it, it's called springdrive, and it's simply incredibily expensive

Swatch group has something in his laboratory also, it's called HPM
    http://www.asulab.ch/EN/montres_en.htm
    Swatch Sistem 51 Arrow (custom bracelet), Bulova Snorkel 96B209, Seiko SSA174K1 "unicorn" 4R37, Seiko SKA465P1 Kinetic 5M62-0CH0, Alpha Sundial Black, Seiko "SPØRK" SRP043K1, MQJ submariner, Casio WVA-430, Citizen diver NY2300-09EB, Seiko 5 SNXS77K (7S26) , Casio Protrek PRT-500 , Swatch Beat webmaster , vintage Seiko 5 (1972 defective) various Casio, Pulsar, Yonger&Bresson all anadigit and a Fossil WristPda:oops:

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

accutrons beat at 360Hz and the movement of the second hand is quite fluid (though I would expect that accutrons have gear backlash, while a seiko springdrive would not ..)

I have a "replica" watch (not listed in my watches owned ;p) that has a quartz chronograph movement, where the seconds hand moves in 1 sec steps, however the chronograph seconds I think does 4 or 5 ticks per second & moves very much like the seconds hand on a mechanical watch .. not sure what the movement is, but it has 3 subdials at 120 degrees to each other.
    My Watches .. click here!

incoming .. Seiko DX, Seiko LM, two almost identical Seiko Bullhead chronos

I was wondering about this myself. I was reading a buncha Watch magazines at Barnes and Noble the other day and stumbled upon a little article talking about a Fossil watch called the "Twist". It said that the watch is powered by a quartz movement but at the same time the seconds hand is powered by a mechanical movement which makes the hand move smoothly like a automatic.

I'm still a bit confused about how this works. If anyone would care to elaborate further on how this works, it would be much appreciated.

Here are some links:
    http://www.wristdreams.com/archives/..._twist_se.html
    http://europastar.com/europastar/hea...03467802&imw=Y
    http://www.fossil.com/shopping/produ...&keyword=twist

To the extent that my understanding of quartz watch movements is correct, the second-hand is powered by a stepper-motor which steps every second and the timing of the steps is controlled by the quartz frequency, electronically slowed down. I don't know whether the minute hand and hour hand are driven by gear-trains from the same stepper motor or if they have another, separate drive.

There was a post recently pointing out that the minute hand of one of the super-accurate watches (I forget if it was The Citizen or a Citizen Exceed), viewed through a loupe, could be seen to move once per second, so presumably, at least in that case, the minute hand and the second hand were tied together.

In theory, though, the second-and stepper motor could be designed to move the second hand as often or as rarely as the designer wanted, and still be controlled by the quartz natural frequency.

The Seiko spring-drive is a completely different animal and its smooth motion is not related in any way to a conventional quartz movement...... no stepper motors in spring-drives.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to get rid of the once-a-second motion of the second hand anyway...... I find it a convenience.

I've seen a Seiko Chrono pre spring drive operate with a sweeping second hand, however the Chrono function was not engaged. We tried to figure what it's about but couldn't. It's available and I have considered acquiring it but it's condition is a problem for me. Forgot to mention it's a quartz watch.
    Peace,
    Preston
    Last edited by Preston; April 8th, 2007 at 03:09.
    Omega, Tissot, Panerai, G-Shock, Timex, Swiss Army watch fan

on my citizen quartz chrono,
    the chrono hand steps once a second, minutes hand once every 20..
    they are on separate motors (and one of the subdials has a separate
    motor too).
    the reason for moving the hands the least often possible would probably
    be battery life.
    My Watches .. click here!

incoming .. Seiko DX, Seiko LM, two almost identical Seiko Bullhead chronos

N 32 deg, 47' 27.9168"; W 79 deg, 54' 30.3372"

Anything is possible.

In a standard quartz movement, the stepper motor makes one 180 degree half rotation every second. This drives the second hand, through three or four gears to move 6 degrees, the hour and minute hand are also powered off the geartrain.

The highest curent draw in a quartz movement is the stepper motor, the more it must operate the shorter the battery life.

In quartz chronograph movements each sub dial usually has its own stepper motor. Continous chronograph operation will decrease battery life.
    Last edited by lysanderxiii; April 8th, 2007 at 09:19.

Quote Originally Posted by croolis View Post
    on my citizen quartz chrono,
    the chrono hand steps once a second, minutes hand once every 20..
    they are on separate motors (and one of the subdials has a separate
    motor too).
    the reason for moving the hands the least often possible would probably
    be battery life.
    I don't think the fact that the hands do not move simultaneously necessarily means they have separate motors. They certainly may have but the movement of the minute hand, for example, could be triggered by the second hand having moved through a certain angle.
    I agree that one of the reasons for moving hands as rarely as possibly might be battery life....... accelerating the hand takes torque which uses current. Continuous movement doesn't involve acceleration so would use much less current. I think the reason stepper motors are used is because that's the easiest way to use the quartz crystal's natural frequency (after electronic reduction) to control time-keeping.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information