Possible the top brands are holding back in 2019 because their demand is already so high?
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Possible the top brands are holding back in 2019 because their demand is already so high?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Possible the top brands are holding back in 2019 because their demand is already so high?

There has been a lot of negative reaction to Patek and Roldor (that is Rolex and Tudor just to be clear, or Tulex also works). Is it possible their demand is so high, there was no point doing anything that would make a tight supply situation worse? And for my tinfoil hat view, if they think they have maybe another year or two before a recession, why not wait until then to bring out something new and red-hot when you actually needed to 'work' for sales vs. people begging to even be put on a wait list (let alone get a watch)?

Might see the second-tier brands (I don't mean that as an insult, just the ones without the red-hot demand) keep working hard to get new and exciting stuff out - but for the big guys, why release something if you don't have to?
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Re: Possible the top brands are holding back in 2019 because their demand is already so high?

I just think there's too much hype on these forums and the watch community. I don't think so ahead to plan a strategy for recession, but I think when the economy is doing well, we see more precious metal releases, when it's not, more stainless steel. I thought it was hilarious when Tudor released a dial marker, and everyone's like "OH submariner!", lol, way to raise the bar. Not ever year is one with awesome new models, some are just cleaning/tweaking the lineup.

For Rolex, and the GMTII specifically, it was pretty obvious they want to change the movement from 2 to 1. Batman's already on a wait list, if they just changed the movement, the existing owners would be upset, change the bracelet to something less popular, keeps the existing batman owners happy, and I expect that people that didn't get the batman will still be happy to be on the waitlist for the new one. Then 1-3 years, they'll release the oyster bracelet again this time with the new movement, pretty choreographed product refresh. Just rich people have no patience to wait :)

As you mention, sales and demand have been so high, so whatever they are doing is working.

Re: Possible the top brands are holding back in 2019 because their demand is already so high?

Tooter has jumped the shark. Mickey mouse brand.

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Typos View Post
    I just think there's too much hype on these forums and the watch community. I don't think so ahead to plan a strategy for recession, but I think when the economy is doing well, we see more precious metal releases, when it's not, more stainless steel. I thought it was hilarious when Tudor released a dial marker, and everyone's like "OH submariner!", lol, way to raise the bar. Not ever year is one with awesome new models, some are just cleaning/tweaking the lineup.
    Oh companies definitely plan ahead and strategize. And people who are good at making those plans accordingly get paid big bucks.

I don’t think the OP is out of the realm of possibility, in fact it’s a good idea and if the companies in question didn’t have this strategy they should be hiring OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by EsbenOpen View Post
    Oh companies definitely plan ahead and strategize. And people who are good at making those plans accordingly get paid big bucks.

I don’t think the OP is out of the realm of possibility, in fact it’s a good idea and if the companies in question didn’t have this strategy they should be hiring OP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree with you and the above poster, and want to clarify that I didn't say that the large companies don't plan ahead, I said they don't think to plan ahead for a recession, specifically. My understanding is that for a niche high end luxury market, when the economy and sales are so strong as they are now, it's in the company's interest to push the brand image and retail prices higher while they have the market to do so, instead of trying to release multiple hits that may lead to product cannibalization like... Well most other companies that do non-limited "limited editions"

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    There has been a lot of negative reaction to Patek and Roldor (that is Rolex and Tudor just to be clear, or Tulex also works). Is it possible their demand is so high, there was no point doing anything that would make a tight supply situation worse? And for my tinfoil hat view, if they think they have maybe another year or two before a recession, why not wait until then to bring out something new and red-hot when you actually needed to 'work' for sales vs. people begging to even be put on a wait list (let alone get a watch)?

Might see the second-tier brands (I don't mean that as an insult, just the ones without the red-hot demand) keep working hard to get new and exciting stuff out - but for the big guys, why release something if you don't have to?
    That’s not how businessmen think or work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazza74 View Post
    That’s not how businessmen think or work.
    [email protected]! I'll resign tomorrow.
    Rolex Explorer I :: Dornblueth & Sohn Calibre 99.1 :: Grand Seiko SBGA211 'Snowflake' :: Omega Speedmaster Professional :: Seiko SPB077 :: Archimede Pilot

Quote Originally Posted by canonken View Post
    [email protected]! I'll resign tomorrow.
    Good idea!

Edit: If anyone thinks that it’s a good idea to tank it this year and wait a year or two to release the good stuff, they’d be replaced in an instant.
    canonken likes this.

I don't think they are holding back, I think they are spreading there shots out across their companies and product lines instead of concentrating on one brand.

I like that Tudors are looking different. To me it gives the brand more independence and freedom. Tudor can do what Rolex can't or won't. Like the bronze.

Tudors advertising is working on me. As much as I like Rolex, I was not going to buy one. I just don't think they are worth it. But I am starting to like Tudor. I have been looking at members watches for awhile now and when I see these new models it just reinforces what I have been thinking. Tudor shares most of the tangible qualities of the Rolex but at a lower price.

I don't think they can't meet demand, I think they choose to not produce certain models in high quantities to keep demand high.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information