Post 1,000: Gratuitous collection review and a giveaway.
Like Tree54Likes

Thread: Post 1,000: Gratuitous collection review and a giveaway.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Post 1,000: Gratuitous collection review and a giveaway.

I remember liking watches as a kid. I mean, it was the 80s. Calculator watches, Data Banks, and Swatches were everywhere. Digital was pretty new and cool. There are vague memories of the Timexes, Casios, and Armitrons of my youth. Throughout college I was a dedicated classical music student, so taking off a watch every time I had to play my instrument was annoying and I soon stopped wearing one. At some point during grad school I purchased a Tank-like Fossil and a titanium Skagen to wear while teaching. For 15 years those were my only watches (Edit... there was an AndroidUSA in there somewhere, too). My wife brought me all manner of Fitbits home from work and I tried to find something about them appealing with no luck, so I got my old Skagen out of storage and started wearing it again. That's when it happened....

There were YouTube videos..... then there was Amazon and the onslaught of cheap watches from obscure mushroom brands and some terrible homages. Then came WUS..... A few months later I was neck deep in Dagaz parts and was making some of my watch money selling mods. Forum darlings were coming in from all over the world and I was trying to make them work with my style and wrist. Shortly after, I started looking at vintage watches and everything clicked. The sizes were perfect for my 6.25 inch wrist and they fit my style and professional environments perfectly.

Do I still have modern watches and forum favorites? Absolutely. I'm a WIS and it's part of my nature. Having said that, I'm also a child of the late 70s and 80s and have really come to love those watches.

So, here's the SOTC:

Name:  IMG_20171013_160816415_HDR.jpg
Views: 725
Size:  1.62 MB

Mid 60s Gruen Precision cal 711- Purchased from Farfo. All original, unpolished case with razor-sharp edges.
    1980 Omega Deville- Yes, it's tacky. Yes, it's quartz. I still love wearing it with brown loafers since that's what Sonny Crockett would have done.
    Early 80s Zodiac Professional- It's my Wolf of Wall Street watch.... 36mm of two tone awesome.
    Early 80s Universal Geneve Triple Date Moonphase-Also purchased from Farfo. This one speaks loudly for itself and doesn't need my help.
    1984 Tudor Oysterdate- It has a blue dial and is my wife's birth year watch. Looks great on every strap I've tried.
    1971 Hamilton Dateline- Gorgeous and monochrome. Super sharp case and perfect for everyday wear.
    60s Tissot Cal. 781- Barely two-tone and perfect for business casual.
    60s Juvenia 9202- MINT and perfect with a slim-fit suit. The silver linen dial only gets better the closer one looks.
    1973 Omega Deville 166.0161- Nowhere near mint, but reliable and kinda funky.
    1969 Seiko Presentation Series- 28,800 beat two-hander... Kinda hard not to love.

Name:  IMG_20171013_160845775_HDR.jpg
Views: 727
Size:  1.76 MB

Frederique Constant FC-235- A modern dress watch that does its job.
    Glycine Combat 6- Tried to love it and it looked perfect on paper...
    G-Shock Mudman- I mean, I still have to mow the lawn..
    Tissot T-Race T-Touch- A gift from my FIL. I wear it a lot on the weekends.
    Hamilton Khaki Chronograph- I always have one chrono in my collection.
    Seiko SARB035- Amazing. This watch makes it hard to look at any other modern dress/casual watch under $2k.
    Seiko SKX013- If it's raining, I'm probably wearing it.

As of right now, I'm saving for a birth-year Oysterdate in steel or white gold with a fluted bezel.

The Giveaway:

If you made it this far, you deserve a treat. I have a watch. I'll pick the best comment and mail it to you as long as you're in the CONUS. Easy, right?
    Last edited by pyddet; October 16th, 2017 at 14:34.
    Tudor/Omega/Oris/Longines/Hamilton/Seiko

Re: Post 1,000: Gratuitous collection review and a giveaway.

You need a bit of vintage Longines in there for variety, I'm not in US (so I'll pass on the giveaway) but I can give you an address in Penn state to get around the CONUS only . Rules are meant to be broken, right?
    pyddet likes this.
    If the seat is wet sit on your hat, a cool head is better than a wet arse.

Quote Originally Posted by kit7 View Post
    You need a bit of vintage Longines in there for variety, I'm not in US (so I'll pass on the giveaway) but I can give you an address in Penn state to get around the CONUS only . Rules are meant to be broken, right?
    I have my eye on two Calatrava style Longines, but I'm trying to be disciplined and you're not helping.
    kit7 and TechGuyJ like this.
    Tudor/Omega/Oris/Longines/Hamilton/Seiko

4. Remove Advertisements
    WatchUSeek.com
    Advertisements

Yes, you have an amazing albeit quirky cool collection indeed. You have practically a watch for any occasion and I wonder if that was your aim headed into this madness we all enjoy? I almost was expecting to see an Alfred Dunhill futuristic analog quartz reference for good measure. It would fit your theme of off the beaten path interesting novelties. I wonder what is on your radar next if any? Thanks for showing your stash....super cool my friend.
    MIKE

Weirdest part of that collection is those 3 empty slot. Just doesn't go with the rest of gang. Im not enabling just stating the facts. You know its bothering you, right? Rest is awesome. I love the variety and little story behind each...almost an excuse, but makes perfect sense.

I see a trend -- dressy = light dial, sporty = dark dial. I'd probably go the same way.

Don't include me on the giveaway, though, because I already won a watch from another forum member. One can be a freeloader only so often. ;)

All these watches are set. What kind of maniac are you? If I had one of these watches (autos anyway), I'd let it get some sleep.
    pyddet and MediumRB like this.
    If you never believe in anything, you'll never be disappointed.

Funny how the hobby seems to creep into our lives over the years. I remember my first vintage Seamaster and the old Rolex Precision I bought, with a roulette dial. Those planted seeds which have grown.

Honestly my collection has morphed and changed and never stabilized. I still twirl watches in and out of my collection like playing cards. But I too have seemed to assemble an eclectic collection of cool watches....different from this one, but just as fun for me.
    pyddet likes this.

Moderator Public Forum soaking.fused's Avatar

Nice collection!!

Send the prize to me so I can turn around and send it to a member from my giveaway thread that I had wished also had won. He had lost his brother not long ago. In fact you should send him your watch.
    Servo8288 and pyddet like this.

Not enough G Shocks....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
    pyddet likes this.
    Rangeman X 1
    Frogman X 1
    King X 2
    MTG X 1
    Deep Blue X 1
    The Next One X ???

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast